Concussion Syndrome denied, TBI residuals approved

sandsailor

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I am currently being referred to MEB for PTSD but had a service gap and my previous VA rating is all kinds of messed up.

I had a TBI in Afghanistan with loss of consciousness. I didn't seek treatment until I returned home, but was diagnosed with Post Concussion Syndrome. My claim listed "Concussion Syndrome" but it was not service connected. I had someone help me with the claim as I often struggle and get overwhelmed with forms and paperwork. When I first separated from the Navy, I had pending neurological issues with few answers, but my problems seem to be textbook TBI. I'm wondering if my current MEB may be able to correct this issue as it is well documented in my records?

If so, some of the rated TBI residuals include:
-migraine headaches
-tinnitus
-vertigo
-tremors
-fasciculations

new diagnoses that may fit as residual of TBI:
-sleep apnea
-narcolepsy (or hypersomnia depending on who is asked)

diagnoses which back up TBI:
-post concussion syndrome
-head trauma with loss of consciousness

I'm reading that post concussion syndrome is synonymous for mild TBI, but maybe the VA feels otherwise? I understand that only physical symptoms would be considered secondary to TBI (if awarded) as I will be rated for PTSD, which will be a new rating. Fingers crossed they get it right this time. I'm gathering documents to ensure they are in my records, but any advice will be appreciated.

edit: these are hypothetical residuals since I'm not rated for TBI

Last edited:
Sandsailor,

Welcome to the PEB Forum!

I will try to answer your questions based on what information you have provided. I hope all goes well for you!

I had a TBI in Afghanistan with loss of consciousness. I didn't seek treatment until I returned home, but was diagnosed with Post Concussion Syndrome. My claim listed "Concussion Syndrome" but it was not service connected. I had someone help me with the claim as I often struggle and get overwhelmed with forms and paperwork. When I first separated from the Navy, I had pending neurological issues with few answers, but my problems seem to be textbook TBI. I'm wondering if my current MEB may be able to correct this issue as it is well documented in my records?
Your question is not very clear, but I think you are asking if the decision of the MEB or the Navy can impact your VA rating. If so, the answer is yes.
If so, some of the rated TBI residuals include:
-migraine headaches
-tinnitus
-vertigo
-tremors
-fasciculations
Not sure what the question here is. You should be compensated from the military for all unfitting conditions, and the VA should compensate you for all service-connected disabilities.
new diagnoses that may fit as residual of TBI:
-sleep apnea
-narcolepsy (or hypersomnia depending on who is asked)
Same as above.
diagnoses which back up TBI:
-post concussion syndrome
-head trauma with loss of consciousness
Same as above.
I'm reading that post concussion syndrome is synonymous for mild TBI, but maybe the VA feels otherwise? I understand that only physical symptoms would be considered secondary to TBI (if awarded) as I will be rated for PTSD, which will be a new rating. Fingers crossed they get it right this time. I'm gathering documents to ensure they are in my records, but any advice will be appreciated.
Not sure what you are asking here, but, I also hope they get it right! Best of luck with your claims!

Your question is not very clear, but I think you are asking if the decision of the MEB or the Navy can impact your VA rating. If so, the answer is yes.

Not sure what the question here is. You should be compensated from the military for all unfitting conditions, and the VA should compensate you for all service-connected disabilities.

Not sure what you are asking here, but, I also hope they get it right! Best of luck with your claims!

Thank you, it's been a long wait, but I have my TBI QTC exam this week and have already had my general and PTSD C&P exams.

During my general exam the examiner claimed they didn't have any of the documentation for my medical conditions (which I know are in my records as I can view them). I've resubmitted them to my MSC just to be safe. We'll see what happens once the DBQ forms are uploaded, but hopefully he gets the diagnoses right, particularly with my Narcolepsy claim as I've been prescribed a medication (XYREM) which can ONLY be prescribed with a confirmed diagnosis of Narcolepsy via a sleep study and failed medications. Other than that the exam was pretty straight forward.

Have a lot of anxiety surrounding these exams, even though I shouldn't as my records are extensive and back up all my claims. Unfortunately a lot of my conditions have overlap, but it makes sense (PTSD, TBI, Migraines, Neuro Issues, Narcolepsy, Sleep Apnea). Ready for the C&P process to be over and for the real waiting to begin.

Considering another residential PTSD stay once everything is submitted to the PEB, hoping it won't hold up the process any further.

AD USN
Referred Condition: Chronic PTSD
Referred to MEB: JUN2021
Command NMA 1: JUN2021
Met with PEBLO: OCT2021
Command NMA 2: JAN2022
Met with MSC: FEB2022
C&P Exams: FEB2022