Concussions May Qualify for Purple Heart Medal

Concussions May Qualify for Purple Heart Medal

Soldiers who have suffered concussions while serving in Iraq or Afghanistan may qualify for the Purple Heart medal under new Army guidelines.

The change, which was reported by USA Today last week, means thousands of soldiers may qualify for the medal, which is awarded for wounds or injuries resulting from combat.

Sentiment has been slowly changing during the 10 years of the global war on terrorism. Earlier attempts at adding concussions to the list of qualifying wounds was derided by those who thought conventional wounds only should be on the list.

But as traumatic brain injury has become more of a signature wound of the enemy’s main weapon—roadside bombs—and mental health of veterans has come to the forefront, the thinking has evolved.

Soldiers who suffered concussions and were denied the medal are being encouraged to seek a review of their cases, the newspaper reported. They can do so by calling 888-276-9472 or sending an e-mail to [email protected].

I have been diagnosed with both mTBI and Post Concussion Syndrome at BAMC when I was in the WTU. (Numerous rocket and mortar barrages in 2004) I find it interesting that upon MRI and CT scan diagnosis, the packet was not submitted by BAMC. (Funny since the LoD was approved by the BG that wrote the MFR in Iraq concerning PHs for Concussions.)

I am now in the CB-WTU and they are looking at how to submit the packet.

BTW..I called HRC at that number and they basically said "Talk to your S-1 section". I asked what is the required documentation and got, "Uh...we do not know"