Confirming Seizure D/O by Video EEG

johnbgately

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I have recently dealt with a seizure disorder case in which the individual had been mistakenly labeled with a conversion disorder by a neurologist based upon his subjective observations and without objective confirmation by a video EEG. I am posting this comment as I am now aware of several other individuals like him who were misdiagnosed in this manner- a video EEG showed that each had a valid seizure disorder. Lesson learned- if you are told that you suffer from psychogenic seizures or a conversion disorder due to your seizure-related symptoms, please demand confirmation by a video EEG as it has been the standard of care regarding such issues for many years now. Special note- for those of you in the Gulf Coast area, the Seizure Clinic at the University of Alabama-Birmingham is a superb facility.

oddpedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Does the veteran have a diagnosis for epilipsy thru primary care? How is the examiner closing the case here what rationale is being used?

johnbgately

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
1. The service member nows has a diagnosis of a central focal point seizure disorder as confirmed by UAB- Medical Staff and is being treated now by their neurology department. The Navy adopted this diagnosis in revising his findings to reflect placement on the PDRL at a 60% PDRL rating.

2. We used this same data to change is his 30% conversion disorder diagnosis with the DVA to 60% for this form of epilepsy. When included with his other service-connected disabilities, this was sufficient to increase his rating to 100% P&T.

3. Previous erroneous rating for both Navy and VA for this condition was 30% as a conversion disorder, with the Navy seeking to reduce his rating from 30% to 10% on a TDRL review. As said above, Navy case finalized at 60% PDRL, VA at 100% P&T.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">