Confirming Seizure D/O by Video EEG

johnbgately

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I have recently dealt with a seizure disorder case in which the individual had been mistakenly labeled with a conversion disorder by a neurologist based upon his subjective observations and without objective confirmation by a video EEG. I am posting this comment as I am now aware of several other individuals like him who were misdiagnosed in this manner- a video EEG showed that each had a valid seizure disorder. Lesson learned- if you are told that you suffer from psychogenic seizures or a conversion disorder due to your seizure-related symptoms, please demand confirmation by a video EEG as it has been the standard of care regarding such issues for many years now. Special note- for those of you in the Gulf Coast area, the Seizure Clinic at the University of Alabama-Birmingham is a superb facility.

Does the veteran have a diagnosis for epilipsy thru primary care? How is the examiner closing the case here what rationale is being used?

1. The service member nows has a diagnosis of a central focal point seizure disorder as confirmed by UAB- Medical Staff and is being treated now by their neurology department. The Navy adopted this diagnosis in revising his findings to reflect placement on the PDRL at a 60% PDRL rating.

2. We used this same data to change is his 30% conversion disorder diagnosis with the DVA to 60% for this form of epilepsy. When included with his other service-connected disabilities, this was sufficient to increase his rating to 100% P&T.

3. Previous erroneous rating for both Navy and VA for this condition was 30% as a conversion disorder, with the Navy seeking to reduce his rating from 30% to 10% on a TDRL review. As said above, Navy case finalized at 60% PDRL, VA at 100% P&T.