script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js">

Confused - VA Exam Today

rickman

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Hey all!

Just had my VA exam today (not MEB related but will probably be referred to) for my back. When I got there, they did a full exam on me. I thought they were just going to evaluate my back. They looked me over and scheduled me to come back for audiology since I have tinnitus and hearing loss.

Background - 27 years AD and Reserve and still drilling. MEB being initiated for my back injured on AD while on > 30 day orders.

Question - since the VA did a full exam, will they take all issues and rate me based on all my conditions or just my back since the back is all I initially filed for?

Thanks!

pittpan2005

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Your doctor will write up his summary to be sent to the MEB. You will have a chance to review and rebut it if you want. DOD is evaluating what prevents you from being able to serve in the military. The VA is looking at everything so the MEB may not include or rate VA findings for retirement purposes, but the medical appointments and notes can be included for there review. The more conditions you can be rated for at the MEB the better.

rickman

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
pittpan2005,

Thanks for the quick response. Two follow-up questions and a bit of clarification. The VA evaluation that was done today was for a claim I entered through the VA on my own behalf outside the MEB. The MEB process has not officially started yet. So do you think the VA doctor will collect all medical issues discovered and forward them to the VA and base my disability rating on all conditions noted? I am a drilling Reservist which allows me to file a claim for disability while still participating.

Will the MEB become aware I filed a claim, was (meaning soon will be) rated and will they consider the findings as adequate for the PEB requirements? Curious if my actions will keep me from going to the VA doc a second time when the PEB case is reviewed?

pittpan2005

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Rick,
I don't know all the ins and out from the reserve side so for that I apologize. As for your questions.
1. Don't expect any doctor to forward any notes they don't have to. Within a few days of every appointment you should go to the records department or doctor's office and get your own copy of the appointment notes. Build your own phone book of records and constantly update them.
2. You should file appointments with the VA for any and all service connected conditions. The sooner the better. The VA is going to pay you based on those service connected conditions and I would assume as a reservist you might be hesitant to go to the VA or other docs' because you want to stay a reservist. With the potential of a medical board being initiated all that stuff goes out the window. You need to build your best case so you can be medically retired, if that it what you want and need. If you want to stay in and are hiding things from the medical board and avoiding the VA docs because of it that can come back and bite you later.
3. VA is separate from DOD, but with the new Pilot Program the medical board may already receive all your VA documents, but just incase I would verify all records are in your medical record before being sent to the medical board.
Message me offline what your intent is, condition for med board, or anything you feel relevant if you'd like. I will be happy to help in anyway I can, but please no don't send or say anything you are not comfortable with revealing. I am on TDRL, 100%VA.