Confused

campbellSFC

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I was medically retired for PTSD/Major depressive disorder. I was rated at 70% for it. Since I've been out of the Army, I have been going to school. I recently had my re-eval for PTSD and Major depressive disorder. They ended up increasing me to 100% P&T. for that condition. I was honest with the evaluation, and told the Doctor I was in school. I know according to CFR 38 under mental conditions 100% is total occupational and social impairment but there is also verbiage in the reg that says disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own OCCUPATION, or own name. I spoke to a VA agent, they said "do what you can do, if you can go to school then go, if you can hold a job then get one" They also said "don't confuse your situation with TDIU"

Now that you know my story, on to my questions. Is there something in black or white that says I can or cannot go to school/ have a job? is there anyone in this situation that has any experience with this?

I have an appointment with a VSO to ask these questions aswell; however, I have gained a lot of knowledge from this site, and hope to gain more.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
When you are P&T you can work and/or go to school. So if school is what you want to do, do it.

heathro1281

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
BLUF: Ratings are based on what you PRESENT, ratings do not present you with LIMITATIONS.

Are you putting the cart before the horse? I mean you get ratings based off your condition, not the other way around.... also meaning you don't get rated as "cant go to work/school" and then you cant go to work or school - you get this rating because your symptoms are that you cant go to work or school.

Getting rated as "cant go to work or school" doesnt itself PREVENT you from go to work or school.

campbellSFC

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thank you both, thats a relief. School is like the only thing I got to hold onto right now. I was worried I was going to have to drop out.

oddpedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Then you are not out the clear yet Im somewhat surprised you got that still going to school but the TDRL exam will absolutely take that into consideration in determining your final rating.

campbellSFC

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
When will I get that? I was under the impression that my last eval was to cover them both

oddpedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I dont know it has to be done by your three-year mark the exam is set up by the DoD, not the VA, then you will receive your final orders and retirement certificate in the mail.

campbellSFC

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I dont know it has to be done by your three-year mark the exam is set up by the DoD, not the VA, then you will receive your final orders and retirement certificate in the mail.
Gotcha....... Ill be careful. thanks for that insight

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">