Could a genetic disease affect my Med Board?

austin7142

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'm currently on a Med Board for mental health issues, but while that's happening I made an appointment with an ENT at the MTF.

I believe I have a genetic blood vessel disorder, after getting an outside opinion. I was also told that it was hereditary. I was wondering if I am diagnosed by the ENT at the MTF, if it could have any negative affects on the Med Board I'm currently going through for Mental Health?

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
The genetic disorder for a vessel disease may not be found service connected (SC) by the VA, but is is highly unlikely that would effect your MH rating. Genetic conditions are a bit tricky. Some conditions are caused by genetics and are not SC. Others are correlated with diseases process, but don't cause the disease.

ENDISHERE

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
As a reservist with nearly 18 years I have been found to have a genetic blood condition. It is a mutated gene that is hereditary. I had a pulmonary embolism as a result. The PE was no while I was on any kind of orders. Will this be service connected? Does the 8 year rule apply?

ENDISHERE

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
The genetic disorder for a vessel disease may not be found service connected (SC) by the VA, but is is highly unlikely that would effect your MH rating. Genetic conditions are a bit tricky. Some conditions are caused by genetics and are not SC. Others are correlated with diseases process, but don't cause the disease.
As a reservist with nearly 18 years I have been found to have a genetic blood condition. It is a mutated gene that is hereditary. I had a pulmonary embolism as a result. The PE was no while I was on any kind of orders. Will this be service connected? Does the 8 year rule apply

Josh C

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
The 8 year rule only applies if you are on an active status. Do you have any Active time?

Josh C

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So the 8 year rule applies if you have over 8 years and are diagnosed on an active status. So if you were on orders or a deployment you would have fallen under that.

Sometimes if you brought up issues while you were on an active status that are symptoms of your current condition the VA will service connected it.

Have you applied for VA benefits yet?

ENDISHERE

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
So the 8 year rule applies if you have over 8 years and are diagnosed on an active status. So if you were on orders or a deployment you would have fallen under that.

Sometimes if you brought up issues while you were on an active status that are symptoms of your current condition the VA will service connected it.

Have you applied for VA benefits yet?
I have not applied for anything. I was found fit for duty with sleep apnea in 2017. My ALC is C3 requiring electricity for cpap. During the current year is when I had the PE. They are doing a standard review of ALC and will be forced to do another MEB because of the PE and use of Xarelto. I am sure they will not let me stay in this go around. I am so close to the end and now to be let go over this. Very discouraged.

Josh C

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
If you feel you aren't going to get retained that you should probably find for VA(intent to file) once the ITF is in you have one year to complete it and you will get back paid to the day you filed for anything the VA gives you a rating for.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">