CP done. Here are results.

Back at Prep for Decision, estimated dates are now 7/21-2019-11/02/2019.

Status changed to Prep for Notification. Dates show as 6/13-8/5/19

Just checked VA.gov letter generator. Shows total disability has been increased up to 80% as of March 1.

But Ebenefits shows 70% for Major depressive disorder, 80% total, but claim is back at review of evidence? I had an increase in for my lumbar radiculopathy and restless leg syndrome.

Last edited:
Mine just got finishied, went from prep for decision to complete. took about a month. I got 70% for ptsd. I have posted my narsum in previous post if you would like to review. Good Luck!

So this is weird. My total disability shows as 80% in ebennys. I received the back pay for the increase. But, the claim still shows as review of evidence and the completion dates are now 8/2019-12/2019. There has been no movement in the other issues listed in the claim for an increase.

Does it show in your disability screen the other issues as not service connected? that is the only thing i can think of as in a reason why you would see an increase but nothing for the other claimed conditions. I have never seen or heard of it being split up for ratings. I had three claims in my recent decision, two were for increase and the other was a new claim. I got them all at the same time as far as results.

No, the other issues where increases and were already service connected and are still showing the original ratings.

Shows Prep for Decision now. Completion dates are listed as 7/2019-11/2019

From personal experience and anecdotal evidence , eBenefits does not always present an accurate picture of the status of a fluid situation. A VA employee is not directly making input to your eBenefits account. In fact, raters do not look at eBenefits...per multiple VA raters.

Status of your claims recommendations:
—ask your veterans service officer (VSO) if you have one
—call the VA

Good luck,
Ron

I wrote the following on another board two years ago:

The following is how eBenefits defines the "completion of claim" information:

"The time it takes to complete your claim depends on factors like the type of claim and the type of disability claimed.

The estimated dates are based on a statistical analysis of historical processing times for similar claims. Some things you should know:

--Historical data may not accurately predict current conditions. Your claim may take longer.
--Dates may change as the statistical analysis is updated.
--Some claims will take longer than the range of dates given as they are based on an average.
--Submitting the supporting documentation that has been requested quickly and electronically is the surest way to get your claim decided as quickly as possible."

----
From a related post:
The following is an excerpt from a January 2016 post by a former senior VA employee (including duties as a DRO) and accredited VSO:

"The guys and gals at the VARO don't pay any attention to it [eBenefits]. Sometimes these 'steps' that are shown in ebenefits are really just one step. For example the RVSR reviews the evidence and makes the decision all at the same time."

I think this is valuable information, particularly if one does not see movement between the various steps or stages.

1. Evidently, the estimated completion of claim date is not based on the work already completed on one's claim; it is an estimated date based on a statistical analysis of historical processing times for similar claims.

2. The VSR and the RVSR are not monitoring eBenefits and do not periodically pull up one's account to update certain data solely for ensuring the accuracy of eBenefits.

Ron

I called and spoke with someone at the VA. I was told that the claim is finished partly and they have sent me a determination letter. The reason that it shows not complete on Ebennys is because the increase claim for right leg restless leg syndrome was deferred for "reading of a complex diagnostic test". Person I was talking to said estimated completion date is 6/2020. She said that was all she could tell me since I have not received the determination letter in the mail yet.

On ebennys, it also shows that my requested increase as:
Lumbar Radiculopathy (previously rated as lumbar radiculopathy of the left lower extremity to include restless leg syndrome (previously rated as DC 8620)(intertwined with Appeal) (Increase),

The intertwined part is new, and was added sometime, not sure when. I do have an appeal in for lower back pain/DDD that was decreased last June from 20% to 10%. I am appealing the drop as my condition has continually gotten worse since then. DBQ for my back was done at the CP exam states:

Diagnosis #1: DDD lumbar spine ICD code: M51.06 Date of diagnosis: already SC'd Diagnosis #2: DJD lumbar spine ICD code: M47.016 Date of diagnosis: at least 2017 Diagnosis #3: left lower extremity lumbar radiculopathy ICD code: M54.16 Date of diagnosis: already Sc'd If there are additional diagnoses pertaining to thoracolumbar spine (back) conditions, list using above format: Diagnosis #4: s/p lumbar laminotomy L5-S1 IDC code: Z98.1 Date of Diagnosis: 2014 2. Medical history ----------------- a. Describe the history (including onset and course) of the Veteran's thoracolumbar spine (back) condition (brief summary): Veteran is SC'd for DDD, s/p lumbar lamintomy and left lower extremity radiculopathy to include restless leg syndrome. Please note that the original restless leg syndrome C&P exam was done by a neurologist and was listed as a central nervous system DBQ; not a peripheral nerve DBQ since restless leg syndrome does not occur at the peripheral nerve level.
Last C&P exam from 2/23/2017 was reviewed. Veteran had ER visit on 9/20/2018 for his back. No new surgeries since 2014. He has tried epidural injections, physical therapy and aqua therapy all with no relief. He has an H-wave at home which gives some relief while it is on and for a half hour afterwards. He just takes Motrin for pain. He reports the back pain with worse and constant and that "everything" hurts his back. He does continue to work and sits and stands/walk about 50/50 for each. He has constant tingling in bilateral lower extremities. b. Does the Veteran report flare-ups of the thoracolumbar spine (back)? [ ] Yes [X] No
c. Does the Veteran report having any functional loss or functional impairment of the thoracolumbar spine (back) (regardless of repetitive use)? [X] Yes [ ] No If yes, document the Veteran's description of functional loss or functional impairment in his or her own words. The pain is constat. Everything hurts it like sitting, standing and walking.
3. Range of motion (ROM) and functional limitation ------------------------------------------------- a. Initial range of motion [ ] All normal [X] Abnormal or outside of normal range [ ] Unable to test (please explain) [ ] Not indicated (please explain) Forward Flexion (0 to 90): 0 to 25 degrees Extension (0 to 30): 0 to 15 degrees Right Lateral Flexion (0 to 30): 0 to 15 degrees Left Lateral Flexion (0 to 30): 0 to 20 degrees Right Lateral Rotation (0 to 30): 0 to 10 degrees Left Lateral Rotation (0 to 30): 0 to 10 degrees
If abnormal, does the range of motion itself contribute to a functional loss? [X] Yes (please explain) [ ] No If yes, please explain: pain and decreased ROM
Description of pain (select best response): Pain noted on exam and causes functional loss If noted on exam, which ROM exhibited pain (select all that apply)? Forward Flexion, Extension, Right Lateral Flexion, Left Lateral Flexion, Right Lateral Rotation, Left Lateral Rotation Is there evidence of pain with weight bearing? [X] Yes [ ] No Is there objective evidence of localized tenderness or pain on palpation of the joints or associated soft tissue of the thoracolumbar spine (back)? [X] Yes [ ] No If yes, describe including location, severity and relationship to condition(s): midly tender lower lumbar spine at midline b. Observed repetitive use Is the Veteran able to perform repetitive use testing with at least three repetitions? [X] Yes [ ] No Is there additional loss of function or range of motion after three repetitions? [ ] Yes [X] No
c. Repeated use over time Is the Veteran being examined immediately after repetitive use over time? [ ] Yes [X] No If the examination is not being conducted immediately after
repetitive use over time: [ ] The examination is medically consistent with the Veteran's statements describing functional loss with repetitive use over time. [ ] The examination is medically inconsistent with the Veteran's statements describing functional loss with repetitive use over time. Please explain. [X] The examination is neither medically consistent or inconsistent with the Veteran's statements describing functional loss with repetitive use over time. Does pain, weakness, fatigability or incoordination significantly limit functional ability with repeated use over a period of time? [ ] Yes [X] No [ ] Unable to say w/o mere speculation
d. Flare-ups Not applicable e. Guarding and muscle spasm Does the Veteran have guarding or muscle spasm of the thoracolumbar spine (back)? [ ] Yes [X] No
f. Additional factors contributing to disability In addition to those addressed above, are there additional contributing factors of disability? Please select all that apply and describe: None 4. Muscle strength testing ------------------------- a. Rate strength according to the following scale: 0/5 No muscle movement 1/5 Palpable or visible muscle contraction, but no joint movement 2/5 Active movement with gravity eliminated 3/5 Active movement against gravity 4/5 Active movement against some resistance 5/5 Normal strength Hip flexion: Right: [X] 5/5 [ ] 4/5 [ ] 3/5 [ ] 2/5 [ ] 1/5 [ ] 0/5 Left: [X] 5/5 [ ] 4/5 [ ] 3/5 [ ] 2/5 [ ] 1/5 [ ] 0/5 Knee extension: Right: [X] 5/5 [ ] 4/5 [ ] 3/5 [ ] 2/5 [ ] 1/5 [ ] 0/5 Left: [X] 5/5 [ ] 4/5 [ ] 3/5 [ ] 2/5 [ ] 1/5 [ ] 0/5 Ankle plantar flexion:
Right: [X] 5/5 [ ] 4/5 [ ] 3/5 [ ] 2/5 [ ] 1/5 [ ] 0/5 Left: [X] 5/5 [ ] 4/5 [ ] 3/5 [ ] 2/5 [ ] 1/5 [ ] 0/5 Ankle dorsiflexion: Right: [X] 5/5 [ ] 4/5 [ ] 3/5 [ ] 2/5 [ ] 1/5 [ ] 0/5 Left: [X] 5/5 [ ] 4/5 [ ] 3/5 [ ] 2/5 [ ] 1/5 [ ] 0/5 Great toe extension: Right: [X] 5/5 [ ] 4/5 [ ] 3/5 [ ] 2/5 [ ] 1/5 [ ] 0/5 Left: [X] 5/5 [ ] 4/5 [ ] 3/5 [ ] 2/5 [ ] 1/5 [ ] 0/5 b. Does the Veteran have muscle atrophy? [ ] Yes [X] No 5. Reflex exam ------------- Rate deep tendon reflexes (DTRs) according to the following scale: 0 Absent 1+ Hypoactive 2+ Normal 3+ Hyperactive without clonus 4+ Hyperactive with clonus
Knee: Right: [ ] 0 [X] 1+ [ ] 2+ [ ] 3+ [ ] 4+ Left: [ ] 0 [X] 1+ [ ] 2+ [ ] 3+ [ ] 4+ Ankle: Right: [ ] 0 [X] 1+ [ ] 2+ [ ] 3+ [ ] 4+ Left: [ ] 0 [X] 1+ [ ] 2+ [ ] 3+ [ ] 4+ 6. Sensory exam -------------- Provide results for sensation to light touch (dermatome) testing: Upper anterior thigh (L2): Right: [X] Normal [ ] Decreased [ ] Absent Left: [X] Normal [ ] Decreased [ ] Absent Thigh/knee (L3/4): Right: [X] Normal [ ] Decreased [ ] Absent Left: [X] Normal [ ] Decreased [ ] Absent Lower leg/ankle (L4/L5/S1): Right: [X] Normal [ ] Decreased [ ] Absent Left: [X] Normal [ ] Decreased [ ] Absent Foot/toes (L5): Right: [X] Normal [ ] Decreased [ ] Absent Left: [X] Normal [ ] Decreased [ ] Absent
7. Straight leg raising test --------------------------- Provide straight leg raising test results: Right: [X] Negative [ ] Positive [ ] Unable to perform Left: [X] Negative [ ] Positive [ ] Unable to perform
8. Radiculopathy --------------- Does the Veteran have radicular pain or any other signs or symptoms due to radiculopathy? [X] Yes [ ] No a. Indicate symptoms' location and severity (check all that apply): Constant pain (may be excruciating at times) Right lower extremity: [X] None [ ] Mild [ ] Moderate [ ] Severe Left lower extremity: [X] None [ ] Mild [ ] Moderate [ ] Severe
Intermittent pain (usually dull) Right lower extremity: [X] None [ ] Mild [ ] Moderate [ ] Severe Left lower extremity: [X] None [ ] Mild [ ] Moderate [ ] Severe
Paresthesias and/or dysesthesias Right lower extremity: [ ] None [ ] Mild [X] Moderate [ ] Severe Left lower extremity: [ ] None [ ] Mild [X] Moderate [ ] Severe
Numbness Right lower extremity: [X] None [ ] Mild [ ] Moderate [ ] Severe Left lower extremity: [X] None [ ] Mild [ ] Moderate [ ] Severe
b. Does the Veteran have any other signs or symptoms of radiculopathy? [ ] Yes [X] No c. Indicate nerve roots involved: (check all that apply) [X] Involvement of L4/L5/S1/S2/S3 nerve roots (sciatic nerve) If checked, indicate: [ ] Right [ ] Left [X] Both d. Indicate severity of radiculopathy and side affected: Right: [ ] Not affected [X] Mild [ ] Moderate [ ] Severe Left: [ ] Not affected [X] Mild [ ] Moderate [ ] Severe 9. Ankylosis ----------- Is there ankylosis of the spine? [ ] Yes [X] No
10. Other neurologic abnormalities --------------------------------- Does the Veteran have any other neurologic abnormalities or findings related
to a thoracolumbar spine (back) condition (such as bowel or bladder problems/pathologic reflexes)? [ ] Yes [X] No
11. Intervertebral disc syndrome (IVDS) and episodes requiring bed rest ---------------------------------------------------------------------- a. Does the Veteran have IVDS of the thoracolumbar spine? [ ] Yes [X] No
12. Assistive devices -------------------- a. Does the Veteran use any assistive device(s) as a normal mode of locomotion, although occasional locomotion by other methods may be possible? [ ] Yes [X] No
b. If the Veteran uses any assistive devices, specify the condition and identify the assistive device used for each condition: No response provided. 13. Remaining effective function of the extremities -------------------------------------------------- Due to a thoracolumbar spine (back) condition, is there functional impairment of an extremity such that no effective function remains other than that which would be equally well served by an amputation with prosthesis? (Functions of the upper extremity include grasping, manipulation, etc.; functions of the lower extremity include balance and propulsion, etc.) [X] No
14. Other pertinent physical findings, complications, conditions, signs, symptoms and scars ----------------------------------------------------------------------- a. Does the Veteran have any other pertinent physical findings, complications, conditions, signs or symptoms related to any conditions listed in the Diagnosis Section above? [X] Yes [ ] No If yes, describe (brief summary): CORREIA: Pain with non-weight bearing lumbar spine. Not medically feasible to do passive ROM on a lumbar spine. b. Does the Veteran have any scars (surgical or otherwise) related to any conditions or to the treatment of any conditions listed in the Diagnosis Section above? [X] Yes [ ] No If yes, is there objective evidence that any of these scars are
painful, unstable, have a total area equal to or greater than 39 square cm (6 square inches), or are located on the head, face or neck? (An "unstable scar" is one where, for any reason, there is frequent loss of covering of the skin over the scar.) [ ] Yes [X] No If no, provide location and measurements of scar in centimeters. Location: midline lumbar spine scar from previous surgery Measurements: length 2.5cm X width 0.3cm c. Comments, if any: scar is non-tender, no instability 15. Diagnostic testing --------------------- a. Have imaging studies of the thoracolumbar spine been performed and are the results available? [X] Yes [ ] No If yes, is arthritis documented? [X] Yes [ ] No b. Does the Veteran have a thoracic vertebral fracture with loss of 50 percent or more of height? [ ] Yes [X] No
c. Are there any other significant diagnostic test findings and/or results? [X] Yes [ ] No If yes, provide type of test or procedure, date and results (brief summary): Report Status: Verified Date Reported: JAN 15, 2019 Date Verified: JAN 15, 2019
Report: Exam: MRI of lumbar spine, without and with contrast Clinical history: Low back pain and lumbar radiculopathy. Technique: Routine unenhanced and enhanced MRI of the lumbar
spine was performed. Results: Correlation is to a prior exam from 6/30/2017.
Alignment of the lumbar spine vertebrae is maintained, without spondylolisthesis. The lumbar vertebral body heights and marrow signal are maintained. Again noted is desiccation and reduction in height of the L5-S1 disc. The conus medullaris is at the level of L1 and is unremarkable. Incidentally noted is a small perineural cyst in the right T11-T12 neural foramen. At L1-L2, L2-L3 and L3-L4 levels, there is no significant disc herniation and there is no significant central canal or foraminal stenosis. At L4-L5 level, there is no significant disc herniation. There is mild bilateral facet arthropathy and ligamentous hypertrophy. There is no significant central canal or foraminal stenosis.
At L5-S1 level, again noted are postoperative changes of left-sided laminotomy. There is a small broad-based posterior
central and left paracentral disc protrusion, which likely impinges on the traversing left S1 nerve root. There is bilateral facet arthropathy. There is no significant central canal stenosis. There is mild to moderate left foraminal stenosis. The right neural foramen is patent. Following intravenous contrast, there is no evidence of enhancing epidural or perineural scar. There is a small left lower pole renal cyst. Otherwise, the visualized paravertebral soft tissues are grossly unremarkable.
Impression: Small broad-based posterior central and left paracentral protrusion of the L5-S1 disc, which likely impinges on the left S1 nerve root. Stable postoperative changes of left-sided laminotomy at L5-S1 level, without evidence of enhancing epidural
16. Functional impact -------------------- Does the Veteran's thoracolumbar spine (back) condition impact on his or her ability to work? [X] Yes [ ] No If yes describe the impact of each of the Veteran's thoracolumbar spine (back) conditions providing one or more examples: Veteran intolerant of prolonged periods of walking, sitting or standing and no heavy lifting. A light duty job with the accomodation of changing positions as needed for comfort would be feasible and no heavy lifting. 17. Remarks, if any: ------------------- Not an ACE exam.
Veteran reports constant pain in his back no matter what position or use so repetitive motion over time does not cause any pain, fatigability or incordination that would significantly reduce veteran's function since he continues to work and at this time has no job restrictions. After examination of the veteran, listening to his complete history and current subjective complaints, combined with a review of the available records, I have no basis to offer additional losses of function or motion when it comes to repetitive use over time.
Notes from pain management also report difficulty illicting bilateral lower extremity reflexes even with distraction which is consistent with exam today so more then likely normal for veteran to have decreased reflexes.
Veteran has decreased ROM today, note from pain management 10/2018 noted forward flexion to 45 so some limitation of motion may be from pain.
EMG 12/10/2018: acute/subacute nerve root lesion at or about the left L4-L5 nerve root. Acute/subacute nerve root lesion or lesions at or about the right L4 nerve root.
EMG shows right and left lower extremity radiculopathy; right leg is a new diagnosis from last exam and is mild bilaterally.
Current level of severity of lumbar spine DDD with DJD, s/p laminotomy is moderate. The DJD which has been noted on previous xrays was noted as a diagnosis from last C&P exam as well and is related to the DDD lumbar spine.

I also had a Peripheral Nerves Conditions (not including Diabetic Sensory-Motor Peripheral Neuropathy) DBQ Completed.

Update:
There is a request on my Va.gov and ebennys that says "Exam Request-Processing" and "Status-No longer needed"

Any clues what this is?

Update:
There is a request on my Va.gov and ebennys that says "Exam Request-Processing" and "Status-No longer needed"

Any clues what this is?
Opinion: I suspect the “no longer needed” comment cancels the “exam request “ remark.

If they first appeared jointly: Another nonsensical notation on eBenefits.

On the other hand, since eBenefits captures data from other systems, it is understandable how they could first appear at the same time. It is my understanding that the other systems include the Veterans Benefit Management System for Rating.

I have never viewed VA.gov, but it likely relies on the same sources of data.

Ron

Wonder why they no longer need an exam that was requested, by them?