CPAP Machine and Tricare Question

radstrike

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hi, everyone

I've been visiting this forum for a little while now and I have learned so much from reading posts. It's awesome how informative this community is because there's not a lot of support and knowledge available to me just at the unit level. I tried searching to see if anyone had a question similar to mine but I didn't see anything. Forgive me if I posted in the wrong section.

I am currently undergoing the med board process at Fort Hood, Texas, and I'm waiting for ratings; have been for about 30-something days now. At the same time I have been trying to get my sleep problems diagnosed, but I did not include that in my initial claim because my provider and I were just at the beginning stages of figuring it out. This week I was diagnosed with Moderate Obstructive Sleep Apnea and prescribed a CPAP. I just received my call to schedule the machine pickup, but they told me that Tricare doesn't buy the machines anymore, they rent them for 13-15months and then the machine belongs to you. Then they started giving me quotes for monthly payments without Tricare benefits.

This leads to my question: what happens with the machine and the payments when my med board completes and I leave the Army? I certainly hope that I won't be around for 13 months as Active Duty Tricare pays off the CPAP machine. I called Tricare Referrals and Tricare Claims about it and they couldn't help me. It was too late for me to call the Sleep Clinic and ask them, but I will call them tomorrow and also try and get a hold of the VA rep for my med board process. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of situation or guidance on what kind of office I need to call to get an answer? Will I just put this in the claim at the end of my IDES process and it will all work out?

Thanks for taking time to read all that.

tl;dr: Tricare rents (leases?) CPAP's instead of buying them now; what happens to my machine when I'm kicked out of the Army?

THolleyH46

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I got a CPAP about a year ago with Tricare and the machine still cost me about $500.

They send you a new hose and a new mask every three months. I didn't claim sleep apnea with the VA. Was diagnosed after I got out.

mr pig

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I got a CPAP about a year ago with Tricare and the machine still cost me about $500.

They send you a new hose and a new mask every three months. I didn't claim sleep apnea with the VA. Was diagnosed after I got out.
I still have to get mine but I'm still AD at the moment. Would I have to pay anything with Tricare prime? That'd be crazy.

mrando69

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'm active and haven't paid a penny. I got mine last July.

THolleyH46

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
The place that did my sleep study charged about $5000 for it but I think Tricare only paid them like $300. I would definitely get it while on active duty if you have the choice.

TopGun

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
So I have a CPAP and I am a few months from being out and mine waa rented. All you have to do is contact the sleep clinic and they will have the machine purchased from what I was told

mr pig

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'm active and haven't paid a penny. I got mine last July.
Good to know! I'm looking at saving all the money I can since I don't know what my financial state will be like in a few months.

gsfowler

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Never paid a penny for mine. Got my machine from the VA while I was on active duty going through MEB. See if you can have your Tricare auth switched to the VA.

mrando69

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Good to know! I'm looking at saving all the money I can since I don't know what my financial state will be like in a few months.
I hear you. I'm banking everything I can at the moment. I'm interested to see how my new lifestyle is going to be supported by a smaller paycheck.

radstrike

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
So I have a CPAP and I am a few months from being out and mine waa rented. All you have to do is contact the sleep clinic and they will have the machine purchased from what I was told
Never paid a penny for mine. Got my machine from the VA while I was on active duty going through MEB. See if you can have your Tricare auth switched to the VA.
Thanks for the replies everyone! I will contact the sleep clinic and talk to the VA rep. This makes me feel a lot better, I knew I couldn't be the only one who experienced it but I wasn't sure which way to turn.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">