CRDP Estimate

mjf114

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hi RonG. Thank you for your assistance. My info is below.

1. High 3 avg is $4625.00
2. 50% DoD
3. 20 yrs 0 months 11 days all active duty
4. VA rating 70% $1800.00, Spouse and 2 children both 18 yrs old and both enrolled in school for VA benefit rate
5. $0 CRSC
6. Not eligible for any other retirement

I am being medically retired and have permanent disability retirement orders. 20 yrs 11 days, all on active duty.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi RonG. Thank you for your assistance. My info is below.

2. 50% DoD
4. VA rating 70% $1800.00, Spouse and 2 children both 18 yrs old and both enrolled in school for VA benefit rate
5. $0 CRSC

I am being medically retired and have permanent disability retirement orders. 20 yrs 11 days, all on active duty.

Thank you.
Hello mif114,

1. 4625 x 0.50 = 2312.50 retired pay for regular retirement (not CH 61)
2. Since January 2014, CRDP for regular retirement is only noticeable on page 2 of RAS as a remark; yours will be 1800 the same amount as your VA compensation
3. CRDP is retired pay and the program that allows concurrent receipt
4. You will receive each month:
DFAS: 2312.50 (of that amount 1800 is CRDP)
VA: 1800
TOTAL EACH MONTH: 4112.50

Ron

Hello mif114,

1. 4625 x 0.50 = 2312.50 retired pay for regular retirement (not CH 61)
2. Since January 2014, CRDP for regular retirement is only noticeable on page 2 of RAS as a remark; yours will be 1800 the same amount as your VA compensation
3. CRDP is retired pay and the program that allows concurrent receipt
4. You will receive each month:
DFAS: 2312.50 (of that amount 1800 is CRDP)
VA: 1800
TOTAL EACH MONTH: 4112.50

Ron
RonG, like so many others on this great forum, thank you very much for taking the time to answer questions that so many of us (mainly myself) can’t grasp. God bless,

Thank you...

Take care,
Ron

Good Morning RonG.

This morning I have my final out-processing with the finance office where they are going to calculate my pay. In order to have the numbers match your calculation, are they going to ask me questions such as whether I elect to waive retired pay in order to receive VA pay and then let CRDP restore the waived pay? It sounds as if that's what I need to do. I'm a bit nervous since the Airmen that is calculating my pay is an E-2 and said she has never heard of CRDP. Thank you.

Good Morning RonG.

This morning I have my final out-processing with the finance office where they are going to calculate my pay. In order to have the numbers match your calculation, are they going to ask me questions such as whether I elect to waive retired pay in order to receive VA pay and then let CRDP restore the waived pay? It sounds as if that's what I need to do. I'm a bit nervous since the Airmen that is calculating my pay is an E-2 and said she has never heard of CRDP. Thank you.
Bottom line up front.

I have said this dozens of times, I cannot envision where a retiree would come out ahead by rejecting VA compensation.

You apparently are leaving soon...so I will add other info in a subsequent post.

Ron
Former E-2 in Finance (Army)

I revisited our previous conversations.

It appears that you qualify for CRDP.

Recommend you accept VA compensation. If I remember correctly, the selection on VA forms (claims) is to NOT check a certain box.

Ron

I revisited our previous conversations.

It appears that you qualify for CRDP.

Recommend you accept VA compensation. If I remember correctly, the selection on VA forms (claims) is to NOT check a certain box.

Ron
Thank you much RonG, and have a good week!

Back to CRDP.

It is a retirement payment of course, so I guess it is understandable that an E2 might be unaware of it. Conversely, I think someone involved in the retirement processing should have knowledge that there is a CRDP program.

During my 20+ years of AD duty which included assignments as Chief, Finance Ops and Deputy Finance Officer (as a senior NCO) I computed only two retirement estimates. One for a retiring Col/O-6 and my own.

Good luck,
Ron

Thank you...I hope the same for you.

Ron

Back to CRDP.

It is a retirement payment of course, so I guess it is understandable that an E2 might be unaware of it. Conversely, I think someone involved in the retirement processing should have knowledge that there is a CRDP program.

During my 20+ years of AD duty which included assignments as Chief, Finance Ops and Deputy Finance Officer (as a senior NCO) I computed only two retirement estimates. One for a retiring Col/O-6 and my own.

Good luck,
Ron
Just wrapped up my finance final outprocessing appointment, and I asked the SNCOIC of finance about CRDP, he says.....Never even heard of it! WOW!

Just wrapped up my finance final out processing appointment, and I asked the SNCOIC of finance about CRDP, he says.....Never even heard of it! WOW!
Almost unbelievable. Sad.

I retired more than 10 years before the advent of CRDP and I quickly learned about it although at the time my VA rating was <50%.

Ron

CRDP is easier to understand than CRSC in my opinion. CRSC (and CRDP) for CH 61 retirees can be complex.

Ron

Almost unbelievable. Sad.

I retired more than 10 years before the advent of CRDP and I quickly learned about it although at the time my VA rating was <50%.

Ron
Perhaps a training day should be in order for those folks.

Be getting the shoulder shrug answer, how would you advise I proceed? I've read articles that says in most cases, you do not need to apply for CRDP. Is this true or do I need to contact the DFAS or VA folks to see how the 2 departments communicate to ensure it kicks in?

Perhaps a training day should be in order for those folks.

Be getting the shoulder shrug answer, how would you advise I proceed? I've read articles that says in most cases, you do not need to apply for CRDP. Is this true or do I need to contact the DFAS or VA folks to see how the 2 departments communicate to ensure it kicks in?
If you are a "regular" retiree, then it is automatic; you have to do nothing.

If one is a reservist who now has met the age requirement for reserve retirement, they must apply.

TERA retiree: Automatic

CH 61 retiree who also qualifies for a regular retirement...automatic.

Caveat: I have no control over those who should correctly create the retirement account that generates the automatic features. Plus, one has to accept VA compensation.

Ron

Thanks Ron. At no time during my appointment was I even asked whether or not I wanted to accept VA compensation.

Thanks Ron. At no time during my appointment was I even asked whether or not I wanted to accept VA compensation.
That should not be a worry; however, the VA is the monitor for the waiver so you can receive VA comp. They share that info with DFAS.

Recommend you review the VA claim form (your retained copy) and determine what has been selected in that area of the form.

Please report what you find.

Ron

Thank you. Is the claim form something that I should have or something I should have been provided? I’ve kept everything I’ve been given by the VA but that is only my VA packet that shows my proposed 70% rating for rated claims as well as the VARR.

Thank you. Is the claim form something that I should have or something I should have been provided? I’ve kept everything I’ve been given by the VA but that is only my VA packet that shows my proposed 70% rating for rated claims as well as the VARR.
My multiple VA claims throughout the years were paper at first and later via eBenefits.

Your claim info might be on eBenefits if you used it for submitting your claim.

I returned to some of your earlier posts and saw you had qualified for a 20 year AD retirement.

Your initial post in this thread:
2. 50% DoD
5. $0 CRSC

So...you are receiving a CH 61 disability retirement and you also qualify for a regular retirement (i.e., 20 yrs AD).

I infer you went through the medical disability process and that includes assisting a retiree with their VA claim...an assumption on my part; I was not medically retired.

Who if anyone assisted you with you VA claim? Or...did you file on your own?

Ron