CRDP medical retirement pay with TDRL or PDRL

turk69

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
This is a shot gun request for help of clarity of what monies I am looking to get when I start collecting from my Medical retirement. My particulars are as follows:

1. ARNG solider with a 20 yr Non-traditional letter (5200 points for retire pay)... "I do understand about the higher of the 2 for which i get paid"
2. Ratings 60% Dod and 100% VA (TDRL with an expected PDRL on 01Dec 2021)
3. Current age 54, I have 6 1/2 years of Early age retirement periods. (I know I will be able to start collecting right away once all paperwork is completed)
4. I was told I would be CRDP once my Early age Retirement periods have been verified by HRC, at the age of 54 as opposed of the normal age of 60 like most ARNG soldiers.

The question is: I am being told by my state of Michigan I can not collect both because of a legal offset ever. Which is very confusing to me. My estimate pay from VA is 3500.00, Had i retired with a non traditional retirement i would get 2000.00 which all totals to 5500.00. But because I am Medically retiring I will not see that kind of pay, due to what i am being told as a legal offset. Does this sound familiar to anyone? This has me stressed out.

As its my state is explaining it to me I will receive less pay because I medically retired. Does not seem fair, its as if I am being punished for medically retiring.

Please ask for additional info if needed. This is happening time now. Thank you.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Hello @turk69 ,

The following is from my reply to the message you sent to me.

Hello,

Thank you for your well-written explanation of your situation and also about the erroneous information you received from "my state."

1. Your medical retired pay will be: Average high three base pay x 60% = Disability retired pay

2. Your disability retired pay will be reduced by the amount of your VA compensation. You keep any medical retired pay in excess of the VA comp amount.

3. Because you also qualify for a non-regular retirement (RC/NG) and will have a VA rating of 50% or more, you will be eligible for CRDP (upon meeting age requirement & applying for it through your service) which restores waived/offset/reduced retired pay up to the dollar amount of the longevity portion of your retired pay (i.e., the amount you would receive with a simple RC retirement).

4. The CRDP mentioned at item 3 when combined with any residual/left over retired pay mentioned at item 2 cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay.

5. The longevity portion of retired pay: total creditable points (including AD time) for retirement divided by 360 = active duty equivalent. AD equivalent x 2.5% (2% if you chose the blended retirement system) = longevity multiplier
Longevity multiplier x average high three base pay = longevity portion of retired pay

6. Summary: Upon attaining the age requirement (can be reduced to not below age 50) and applying for your non-regular retirement, you are eligible for CRDP. With CRDP, you will receive all your VA compensation and the longevity portion of your retired pay.

Good luck,
Ron

Jkmeka

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello!
How do you figure out the high three base pay? Is it your last three pay grades?
Any help is appreciated!

Thank you

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Hello!
How do you figure out the high three base pay? Is it your last three pay grades?
Any help is appreciated!

Thank you
Hello @Jkmeka ,

The average high three base pay for retirement is:
the total of the highes6 36 months of pay, divided by 36.

Usually, the highest 36 months are the most recent 36.

Ron

Jkmeka

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello @Jkmeka ,

The average high three base pay for retirement is:
the total of the highes6 36 months of pay, divided by 36.

Usually, the highest 36 months are the most recent 36.

Ron
Thank you Ron!
Just to give you my background.

I was separated in April 2002 for personality disorder, Which didn’t exist, I was diagnosed with MDD and PTSD by VA in October 2016 100% P/T.

I contacted NVLSP in 2016 they were kind enough to be me in touch with a pro Bono attorney who is awesome!

December 2018 the Army Medical Review board confirmed they received my application and evidence (put together by my attorney)

October 2019 my attorney asked for status update and we were told a Medical Advisory would be needed. I nor my attorney received a copy of it. I don’t know if it was completed or if hearing nothing about it is a good thing.

February 2021 my attorney told me to do an congressional inquiry which received an almost immediate response from the Army medical review board stating that my case is “under-going post board reviews” I don’t know what that means.

March 2021 my attorney emailed the board for an update this was the response “
Ma'am,

I cannot provide a specific timeline for completion, but can assure you that the case is being processed as quickly as possible.

You and your client will be notified directly once a decision has been rendered and finalized. Again, we appreciate your patience during this process.

Very respectfully,

Customer Service Representative/cb
Army Review Boards Agency
251 18th Street South, Suite 385
Arlington VA 22202”

I have a POC (just a nice lady who was willing to help) at the PDBR who said my case hasn’t reach her office yet, but it could possibly be there but not entered yet to be worked.

Does anyone have any experiences with the board dealing with wrongly diagnosed personality disorder cases that have turned to medical retirement?

Any help given is appreciated

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Hello,

I am just a finance guy, but there are others who might be able to help you.

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">