CRDP question...

Lars7899

Registered Member
I searched and the simple answer isnt there.

If I am medically retired at 21 years, and receive 100% VA disability I should expect the full VA PAY 3700ish and also at the same time another check for 50% of my 21*.5 high 3 pay correct?

So like 6400ish a month total.

Can someone confirm this is how it works and confirm they are getting these payments?

I was sure this was right but a friend who "has advocated for veterans for 3 years" says that total va comp+CRDP wont pay out like that.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I searched and the simple answer isnt there.

If I am medically retired at 21 years, and receive 100% VA disability I should expect the full VA PAY 3700ish and also at the same time another check for 50% of my 21*.5 high 3 pay correct?

So like 6400ish a month total.

Can someone confirm this is how it works and confirm they are getting these payments?

I was sure this was right but a friend who "has advocated for veterans for 3 years" says that total va comp+CRDP wont pay out like that.
Hello,

1. Are the 21 years all active duty or are they 21 good years for reserve retirement?
--a. With 21 years active duty and qualifying for a regular retirement, you could receive CRDP starting a time of retirement.
--b. If you have 20 good years for reserve retirement, you could receive CRDP once you met the age requirement for reserve retirement.

2. If you qualify under 1a:
--Your retired pay will reduced by the amount of your VA compensation ~about 3700 you said
--CRDP will restore the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay that was waived. Longevity is: active duty years x 2.5% = multiplier; high three average base pay x multiplier = longevity portion of retired pay
--The combination of CRDP plus residual retired pay (left over from the reduction) cannot exceed the longevity amount.

3. If you qualify under 1b:
--The computation shown in item 2 will apply, except you have to wait for the age requirement to be met (around age 60).

4. Your entitlement each month will be:
--VA compensation
PLUS
--CRDP at item 2 or item 3.

5. If you are a reservist with 20 good years and have yet to meet the age requirement, all you will receive at this time is the ~3700 VA compensation and possibly residual retired pay, if applicable.

Ron

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Based on your info, your CRDP would be
21 x 0.025 = 52.5% multiplier
High three average base pay x 0.525 = longevity portion of retired pay and CRDP

The combination of CRDP plus residual retired pay cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity amount.

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">