CRDP & TDRL Calculations

SgtRockyBoulder

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello All,

I know I'm eligible for CRDP. Just trying to get an estimate on disability retirement from the Air Force and VA disability.

My info:
- Active duty Air Force E-7 (RegAF, "never" been guard or reserves).
- Service for basic pay is 22 years, 11 months, and 11 days.
- Retirement on 10 Dec 2021 via TDRL.
- Married with 2 children "under" 18 years old.
- Average High 3 is $5,128.40
- TDRL 70% is $3,589.88
- Proposed VA rating 90% is $2,238.18 + $111.74 (SMC-K) = $2,349.92

Question for Mr. Ron G or anyone else that may know.
Would I receive the exact TDRL and VA amounts mentioned above? Also, when could I expect to receive my first Air Force and VA disability payments?
Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Hello @SgtRockyBoulder

Based on the info you provided.

1. What will be your DoD Disability percentage? Cannot determine exact CRDP without the amount of residual retired pay remaining. However, I think what you actually are looking for is how much will come from DFAS. The answer is at item 5.

2. If your base pay service is all active duty (service for base pay is not needed), then 22 yr 11 mo = 22.917 x 2.5% = 57.29% longevity multiplier (2% would be used rather than 2.5% if blended retirement chosen)

3. $5,128.40 high three x 57.29 = ~2938 longevity portion of retired pay. Separate from that computation : Your gross retired pay will be the higher using the longevity multiplier or the DOD disability percentage. It is then reduced by the amount of VA comp. There might be residual retired pay remaining that you keep.

4. You will receive all your VA comp.

5. Based on the info you provided, you will receive ~2938 from DFAS each month.
It will either all CRDP (which is retired pay itself)
OR
residual retired pay plus CRDP not to exceed ~2938.

Ron

Hello @SgtRockyBoulder

Based on the info you provided.

1. What will be your DoD Disability percentage? Cannot determine exact CRDP without the amount of residual retired pay remaining. However, I think what you actually are looking for is how much will come from DFAS. The answer is at item 5.

2. If your base pay service is all active duty (service for base pay is not needed), then 22 yr 11 mo = 22.917 x 2.5% = 57.29% longevity multiplier (2% would be used rather than 2.5% if blended retirement chosen)

3. $5,128.40 high three x 57.29 = ~2938 longevity portion of retired pay. Separate from that computation : Your gross retired pay will be the higher using the longevity multiplier or the DOD disability percentage. It is then reduced by the amount of VA comp. There might be residual retired pay remaining that you keep.

4. You will receive all your VA comp.

5. Based on the info you provided, you will receive ~2938 from DFAS each month.
It will either all CRDP (which is retired pay itself)
OR
residual retired pay plus CRDP not to exceed ~2938.

Ron
Thanks for the calculation.

DFAS mentions that individuals will be paid either the DoD disability rate or longevity pay, whichever is greater.

Basically with the reduction, I would essentially be paid based on longevity pay. I think what makes it confusing is that DFAS doesn't mention the reduction.

Hello @SgtRockyBoulder

1. There are multiple laws involved in what was shown earlier.

2. The combination of CRDP and residual retired pay cannot exceed the longevity amount.

3. The amount of your CRDP will be shown on page 2 of the DFAS RAS. It will be included in the gross retired pay on page one.

4. Defense Finance and Accounting Service > RetiredMilitary > disability > VA Waiver and Retired Pay--CRDP--CRSC <—Link

Ron
Thanks for the info.

I called DFAS yesterday to get an estimate of my disability retirement pay. The lady I spoke with said that they don't provide estimated calculations. She said I could search for calculators on the DFAS website. I told her that all of those calculators pertain to regular retirement, not disability. She also wasn't familiar with the reduction.

I appreciate the calculations that you provided. It gives me an idea of compensation upon retirement.

DFAS said it can take 30-45 days until I receive my first disability retirement payment. I retire on 10 Dec 2021. Should I expect to receive my first payment on 1 Feb 2022?
Also, would my first VA disability payment be on 1 Feb 2022 as well?

Thanks for the info.

I called DFAS yesterday to get an estimate of my disability retirement pay. The lady I spoke with said that they don't provide estimated calculations. She said I could search for calculators on the DFAS website. I told her that all of those calculators pertain to regular retirement, not disability. She also wasn't familiar with the reduction.

I appreciate the calculations that you provided. It gives me an idea of compensation upon retirement.

DFAS said it can take 30-45 days until I receive my first disability retirement payment. I retire on 10 Dec 2021. Should I expect to receive my first payment on 1 Feb 2022?
Hello,

The waiver/reduction/offset is discussed by DFAS here:
Defense Finance and Accounting Service > RetiredMilitary > disability > VA Waiver and Retired Pay--CRDP--CRSC <—LinK

You asked:

"I retire on 10 Dec 2021. Should I expect to receive my first payment on 1 Feb 2022?
Answer: Disability retirements can occur any day of a month. Regular retirements are always on the first day of a month (the day preceding is the last day of active duty).
Your VA compensation for 1-31 January 2022 (a full month) should be paid on 1 February 2022.
In my opinion, you should receive your retired pay around the same time. I am not sure how they will handle the partial month (i.e., if it is paid at same time as the full month).

You are going to end up with retired pay (CRDP) in the same fashion as me, although I am a regular retiree. Mine is now CRSC, but it is in the amount of what my retired pay would have been, the longevity computation of retired pay.

Ron

Hello,

The waiver/reduction/offset is discussed by DFAS here:
Defense Finance and Accounting Service > RetiredMilitary > disability > VA Waiver and Retired Pay--CRDP--CRSC <—LinK

You asked:

"I retire on 10 Dec 2021. Should I expect to receive my first payment on 1 Feb 2022?
Answer: Disability retirements can occur any day of a month. Regular retirements are always on the first day of a month (the day preceding is the last day of active duty).
Your VA compensation for 1-31 January 2022 (a full month) should be paid on 1 February 2022.
In my opinion, you should receive your retired pay around the same time. I am not sure how they will handle the partial month (i.e., if it is paid at same time as the full month).

You are going to end up with retired pay (CRDP) in the same fashion as me, although I am a regular retiree. Mine is now CRSC, but it is in the amount of what my retired pay would have been, the longevity computation of retired pay.

Ron
Ok thanks. That's what I was thinking. Just needed a sanity check.