Crohn's Disease MEB

zachcsu

PEB Forum Regular Member
All,

I've been in for about 5.5 years and just initiated the MEB process for a Crohn's Disease diagnosis. I was told 3-6 months for an MEB decision and an additional several months for a flying waiver decision.

Symptoms first discovered: October 2009
Diagnosis made after biopsies: February 2010
Medication used: Remicade
Medication result: Complete 100% remission

If there is anyone else out there with Crohn's disease and undergoing the same process please let me know. I want to become more educated about my condition and the MEB process as well as share my experiences and recommendations with others.

Going through my meb for crohn's right now meb was initiated on 16aug2010. I've spent 4 years in Navy. I use all Air Force doctors and I am going through the Navy's board. Shoot me an email to [email protected] and send your number, I have some information you may be able to use.
Gary

If you are in remission you will not get anything but 10% disalbility with severance. I have colitis and its in remission both boards gave me 10% and now I'm appealing to the SECAF. You should start packing ur bags.

All,

I've been in the Navy for 9 years. I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2003 after two months of going to the bathroom 5 to 7 times a day with blood. After the initial colonoscopy and diagnosis, they put me on Asacol. All symptoms disappeared in two days. I requested another colonoscopy three months later and all signs (visible and tissue samples) of Crohns were gone. I was then diagnosed with "self-limiting colitis". I quit all meds, and continued with my Navy career (Helo Pilot), experiencing annual, minor flare ups that lasted about a month....I continued to fly during these minor flareups. In 2008 and 2009, the annual flare ups lasted longer (2 months each time) but still minor and still able to fly. I had another colonoscopy in June 09 with a diagnosis of Mild ulcerative colitis. I started Asacol again and symptoms disappeared in a couple of days. I got a waiver and continued flying. However, in July 2010, while on Asacol, my annual flare up began and quickly went out of control. I was going to the bathroom 40 to 60 times a day, I lost 33 lbs. in 4 weeks, and in the hospital for a week and a half. An increase in Asacol, steroid enemas, prednisone, and other steroids and increased dosages of these steroids would not stop the flare up. Finally, 33 lbs. later, they gave me the good stuff..."remicade"...and the symptoms gradually disappeared over about a week. Now, I cannot not fly because there is no waiver for the remicade, but I can eat anything, workout, run, go to work and fly a desk, other stuff, symptom free for the last 3 weeks; so far so good. I'm currently in the MEB/PEB process. My question to anyone, especially Jason, is this: Based on past Navy PEB decisions and the information above, what is the most probable decision they will make...fit for continued service in another designator, med sep with severence, or med retirement? Also, if I get med sep with seveverance, are there grounds in my case to appeal for a med retirement or will my current, stable condition lower my chances for success in appealing for med retirment? Do you think a strong NMA from my CO stating the case for me to stay in with another designator will have any chance at success in keeping me in? Thank you. Sorry this was so long.

Update to my MEB. So I was finally able to look over the package that is going to be sent in for my Crohn's MEB. My first meeting with my PEBLO, or case worker, was in Aug and my VA physical was in the end of Sep. Apparently it took three months to gather the required paperwork and signatures for my package. Now it will go to the local MEB and then on to either the full PEB at AFPC or an abbreviated one of some sort, depending on what the local MEB recommends. Everyone seems very optomistic about my case but we'll see. I'll post more updates as they come along. Please continue to post your MEB updates as well so we can share info and help each other out.

Update: Package is now at the local MEB for the "formality" of it. It is now 30 Jan 11, one year from the time I initially went DNIF for Crohn's disease. If the AF had an AFSC for desk flying I would be an evaluator by now, ha ha. If I go by the average number of days for MEB turn around I'll have a decision from AFPC by May, only four more months. From what I've heard though I should get a decision back sooner. I'll update with the local MEB decision and the date my package is sent to AFPC.

Spoke with my PEBLO this week and found out my packge was sent to AFPC for the full length review. She said it was sent in a couple of weeks ago, so about mid February or so. Getting closer to the end but still several months away I was told.

It looks like I'm a few months behind you in the process of getting the MEB started. I was diagnosed with crohn's disease December 2010. I've been in the Air Force just over 12 years and am I interested in following all the cases that end up for the full review to get some idea on my retention if possible. I'm currently going through the RILO process due to a pending PCS this summer. From what I heard PCSing during the MEB process does not usually happen. Thanks for starting this thread, I'll continue to post my updates so we can all learn from each others experience. As you I want to become more educated on the condition and process.

Good News. My MEB results came back yesterday and the IPEB recommended "return to duty." However, a few sentences later read that my return to duty is contingent upon receiving a flying waiver. It appears that if I do not receive a flying waiver there is no option for re-training into another career field. Waiver submission to approval can take anywhere from one to several months. I know a few people that have waited for flying waivers for upwards of six months. Still though, I take this as good news and one step closer to getting back into the cockpit. Total time for my package from creation to decision was about seven months. Total time in overall process was 16 months. I will continue to post any and all updates.

Thanks for the updates and congrats on the good news. When they returned you to duty did they place you on any duty limitation code for deployability?

I haven't received word on an assignment limitation code yet. Once the MEB results come back, the member, i.e. you and me, gets a chance to accept them or disagree with them. After you sign off on the decision some sort of message is sent to another agency that determines assignment limitation codes. I'll post the results of their decision on assignment limitation codes as soon as I get them.

Congratulations!

Congrats Zach. I hope you can continue your career without medical problems. I wish you much luck if you have to go through this process again.

hi i was diagnosed with chrons in february and that was my second colonoscopy because the first time the GI doc wasnt sure if it was really chrons. But anyway the second opinion i was diagnosed with chrons and had a ulcer. i keep reading that everyone else went into remission with theirs but they have changed my meds so many times im even on Humira right now and im still having blood present and painful cramping even with my fentanyl patch that i wear. i also i have been put on con leave for a month because i had two flare ups two weeks apart. so im just wondering since im also going through the MEB in the army, does anyone think i might have more than 10%.

Just FYI - some of the results are starting to come in. I got my results today from the IPEB: 10% Discharge with Severance Pay. Next step will be to take my case the FPEB.

So I've now got an assignment limitation code C2 which means I need a waiver to depoly or PCS outside the CONUS. The Remicade I'm on however does not require a waiver for depolyment, just the condition does. Finally my case is closed and waiver process is complete.

All I can say is WTH? How do I and so many others get seperated for colitis and someone else gets to stay in? I seriously hate the AF medical system. I believe they are 100% biased against ground guys and ops gets all the hook ups.