CRSC and IU

XarmyXairforce

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hi All! I am rated 70% DOD (PTSD) and 80% VA but paid at 100% rate due to IU. From what I gather, If you are 60% or higher DOD, and 100% VA due to IU, (all related to the PTSD), you will get 100% CRSC. Am I tracking? Mailed off CRSC packet today.

P.S. I know IU is not a disability.

Thanks in advance!

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
First, the majority of Chapter 61 retirees (disability) do not receive the percentage approved by their service for CRSC. They are limited by law to the amount of the disability longevity portion of their retired pay. Note the correction.

Special Rules for Chapter 61 Disability Retirees: According to law, members retired for disability under Chapter 61 of title 10 United States Code must have the CRSC entitlement limited to an amount that when combined with any military retired pay remaining after offset for VA disability compensation will not exceed the retired pay they would otherwise be entitled to for retirement computed for years of service (i.e., 2 1/2 percent x years of service x pay base).

Back to your question.

Can retired Soldiers be awarded Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) for Individual Unemployability (IU)?

Individual Unemployability (IU) is not a disability or a diagnosis therefore the service branches do not include it in the total combat-related disability percentage or address IU on decision letters. Eligibility for IU is determined by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) will include compensation for IU as they receive notification from the VA of a retired Soldier meeting this status.
Please note, IU is only added to a retired Soldier's Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) benefits by DFAS when his or her CRSC total disability percentage is 60% or higher.

Your CRSC will be limited by the special rules cited above.

Good luck,
Ron

XarmyXairforce

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Thank you, I appreciate the copy and paste, however that is easy avail info and we have all read it before. The problem is, we don't understand it and are looking for plain english. I honestly appreciate the reply, but it is of zero help. Again, not being rude, but you copying and pasting the same info we read on the web doesn't help us on such a complicated program.

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thank you, I appreciate the copy and paste, however that is easy avail info and we have all read it before. The problem is, we don't understand it and are looking for plain english. I honestly appreciate the reply, but it is of zero help. Again, not being rude, but you copying and pasting the same info we read on the web doesn't help us on such a complicated program.
I am sorry you are disappointed in my answer. You might consider that I had no clue what you understand or know. I did mention, "First, the majority of Chapter 61 retirees (disability) do not receive the percentage approved by their service for CRSC. They are limited by law to the amount of the disability longevity portion of their retired pay. " Note the correction of the error I made in my original reply.

Perhaps this will help:

1. If you had a regular retirement (e.g., 20 years active duty), and received IU from the VA, DFAS would pay CRSC at the 100% rate (not to exceed the amount of waived retired pay), which is found in the VA compensation tables.

2, The majority of Chapter 61 retirees (disability) do not receive the percentage approved by their service for CRSC. They are limited by law to the amount of the longevity portion of their retired pay. I will go further and state that in the hundreds of CRSC computations I have done, I have never seen one where a disability retiree received CRSC as a deposit @ 100% due to IU.

3. You will receive the lesser (the lower amount) of:

---High three average base pay x (active duty yrs x 2.5%) = dollar amount of longevity portion of retired pay
OR
--The amount associated with the approved CRSC percentage by your service (could be paid at 100% due to IU). The amounts are found in the VA compensation tables.

4. Limits for CRSC:
--Cannot be more than the amount of waived retired pay (VA offset)
--Cannot be more than the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay
--Cannot be more than the amount (percentage + IU if applicable) approved by service (IU would be added by DFAS if applicable).
--Note: If there is residual retired pay after the waiver of retired pay, that amount plus CRSC cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay.

5. It is probable that as a chapter 61 retiree, you will receive the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay as CRSC (i.e., high three average base pay x (active duty yrs x 2.5%) = dollar amount of longevity portion of retired pay).

6. Your question: "If you are 60% or higher DOD, and 100% VA due to IU, (all related to the PTSD), you will get 100% CRSC. Am I tracking?"
Answer: In accordance with current law, your CRSC cannot exceed the amount of residual retired pay (if any) + CRSC that equals the longevity portion of retired pay (pay based on active duty or active duty equivalent).

7. Example with 3000 VA compensation @ 100%; CRSC approved @ 100%; 4000 retired pay; 2000 longevity portion of retired pay
--4000 retired pay reduced by 3000 amount of VA compensation = 1000 residual/left over retired pay
--CRSC approved at 3000, but that exceeds the 2000 longevity amount
--2000 longevity minus 1000 residual retired pay = 1000
--The retiree would receive from DFAS: 1000 residual retired pay + 1000 CRSC = 2000 (which is the dollar amount of longevity portion of retired pay)
Note: Randomly selected amounts were used in this example.

Summary:
The retiree receives 2000 from DFAS each month and 3000 from the VA.

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">