CRSC and possible debt?

ArrieS

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello,

I was medically discharged at 60% and I am appealing that. I am currently receiving CRSC. If I win my appeal my percentage will be adjusted up to 75%. I have looked at the various CRSC calculators and of course my CRSC compensation adjusts down so I don't receive any more money than what I am currently.

If my percentage is changed and the date of change goes back to my date of discharge, how is this handled when it comes to possible back payment? Has this happened to anyone? I just wonder if I will end up with a debt some where because technically my CRSC was dated to my discharge and retroactively paid. So will this trigger a debt for CRSC over payment or will it all be a wash and the payment will just change from one bucket to the other.

I just want to be prepared in case the Government does something stupid.

Thank you,

So...you are anticipating an increase in DoD to either 80, 90, or 100% it seems. There is no 75% DoD rate, but those higher than 70% pay at 75%.

If your DoD rate increased that will result in a higher amount of retired pay each month, but it might also result in a higher amount of reduction of retired pay. Your retired pay is reduced by the amount of VA comp received.

There are multiple possible scenarios for CRSC. Most CH 61 retirees have a ceiling of the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay as their CRSC. A higher rate of retired pay does not increase the longevity portion.

There is also the possibility (since I am not familiar with your case), that you might have residual retired pay once you receive a higher rate. That could result in a lower amount of CRSC. The good news is that situation would likely be a wash.

Without having the full case, this is like trying to guess the number of mosquitoes in Louisiana.

If you want more info on this matter, please provide the info shown in my signature block. That would be a start.

Ron

I'm sure it's a wash. I just am wondering if it will trigger a debt. Because if it's changed than CRSC will have been over paid.

Gross pay $2,259.00. - 60% medical discharge
VA Waiver $2,017.96 - 90% veteran plus spouse
Active Duty 10 years 9 months.
CRSC 80%.

If my appeal is successful than my rating will be raised to match my CRSC 80% and I said 75% because it just can't exceed that.

Re: Gross pay $2,259.00. - 60% medical discharge
VA Waiver $2,017.96 - 90% veteran plus spouse
Active Duty 10 years 9 months.
CRSC 80%.

1. From your info, you have 241.04 in residual retired pay.
2. 10.75 AD yrs x 0.025 = 26.88% longevity multiplier
3. 2259/0.60 = 3765 high three
4. 3765 x 0.2688 = 1002.03 longevity portion of retired pay which is less than 80% CRSC rate/amount found in VA comp tables
5. Maximum CRSC 1002.03 minus 241.04 residual = 760.99 CRSC
6. Based on the figures you provided, DFAS should be paying you (gross):
--241.04 residual retired pay
--760.99 CRSC
TOTAL: 1002.03 (this total cannot be exceeded, regardless of the components)

If your DoD retired pay increased, that would increase the amount of residual retired pay since 2017.96 remains the amount of the reduction/waiver.
The additional residual retired pay will decrease the amount of CRSC payable since 1002.03 (based on your data) is the max payable TOTAL. The taxable income would possibly increase from from 241.04 to a higher amount.

What CRSC calculators have you used previously? Hopefully it does not include the incorrect PowerPoint presentation by DFAS circa 2004-2012. It has not been accurate since 1 January 2013.

Ron

What CRSC calculators have you used previously? Hopefully it does not include the incorrect PowerPoint presentation by DFAS circa 2004-2012. It has not been accurate since 1 January 2013.

Ron

Those numbers are about right. The Calculator is called CRSC_Calc and it's an excel spreadsheet with three tabs.

Those numbers are about right. The Calculator is called CRSC_Calc and it's an excel spreadsheet with three tabs.

Thank you...using the numbers provided, it is procedurally correct (i.e., considering limitations, ceilings, waiver of retired pay, etc., IAW current law).
Do you remember the site where it is located?

Ron