CRSC as of 30 July

brianwl

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
On 30 July President Trump signed the legion act, making us in a continual state of war since 7 Dec 1941.

Does this mean we are now eligible for CRSC if we were injured in the line of duty?

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
On 30 July President Trump signed the legion act, making us in a continual state of war since 7 Dec 1941.

Does this mean we are now eligible for CRSC if we were injured in the line of duty?
Hello Bryan,

It's been a long time since I last saw you on another board.

I'm confident none of the following will be news to you, but I thought I would post some information since I had not heard of the recently passed Legion Act.

I doubt that was the intent of the Act, but I would not be surprised to learn of a flood of applications submitted to the services for CRSC as a result.

Sense of Congress

"It is the sense of Congress that, in accordance with the history, tradition, and purposes of The American Legion, it is fair, proper, and reasonable that the privilege of membership in The American Legion should be extended to all military personnel who served on active military duty during all of the unrecognized war eras involving active United States military personnel."

Basically, the Legion Act was intended to open the doors for additional American Legion membership and recognize the contributions of those who served during the Cold War and other eras. I think that is a good outcome.

"The American Legion sought the declaration as a way to honor approximately 1,600 U.S. servicemembers who were killed or wounded during previously undeclared periods of war.
The LEGION Act (Let Everyone Get Involved In Opportunities for National Service Act) also opens the door for approximately 6 million veterans to access American Legion programs and benefits for which they previously had not been eligible." LINK <----

Next? Maybe more medals. Just an opinion.

Ron

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Legion Act--Addendum

Re: CRSC Applications

Being in combat was not the sole perquisite (or eligibility factor) for CRSC even before the Act discussed above.

Disabilities that may be considered combat related include injuries incurred as a direct result of:
  • Armed Conflict
  • Hazardous Duty
  • An Instrumentality of War
  • Simulated War
Ron

brianwl

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Ron,

I tend to agree, but in making special legislation in a hurry so the Legion can boost it’s sagging membership rolls, it sure would be funny if some CH61s benefitted since the Legion does not support us.

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
True and I am for equal treatment for CH 61 retirees (i.e., CRDP).

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">