CRSC at ten months processing time Army

Took mine 13 months from time applied to approval.

Took mine exactly 13 months from application to approval. Then another two months for back pay.

At this rate I'm just curious if mine will be approved or not. Waited 11 months before I finally reached out to check the status.

I actually found out I was approved from the HRC website it showed there first.

I can't access the HRC website with any browser. It keeps saying it can't be reached.

Back pay isnt from the time you submitted it for csrc it goes back to your retirement date . and if you did under 20 years . you whole military retirement pay is waived . so you get 100 percent crsc .

Back pay isnt from the time you submitted it for csrc it goes back to your retirement date . and if you did under 20 years . you whole military retirement pay is waived . so you get 100 percent crsc .
1. One’s “whole military retirement pay” is not always waived. It depends on the amount of the VA compensation. Retired pay is waived dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation. There are many cases where the retiree has residual retired pay paid by DFAS; however, it will reduce the amount of CRSC received.

2. CRSC is not based on the total VA offset in all cases. CRSC is approved for the service connected disabilities determined to be combat related.

3. CRSC can be paid retroactvely to first month a retiree received VA compensation with certain limitations.

Per DFAS:
Your retroactive payment date may go back as far as June 1, 2003, but can be limited based on:
  • your overall CRSC start date as awarded by your Branch of Service
  • your Purple Heart eligibility
  • your retirement date
  • your retirement law (disability or non-disability)
  • six-year barring statute
Disability retirees with less than 20 years of service will be automatically limited to a retroactive date of January 1, 2008 as required by legislation passed by Congress effective 2008.

All retroactive pay is limited to six years from the date the VA awarded compensation for each disability.

Ron

Last edited:
1. One’s “whole military retirement pay” is not always waived. It depends on the amount of the VA compensation. Retired pay is waived dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation. There are many cases where the retiree has residual retired pay paid by DFAS; however, it will reduce the amount of CRSC received.

2. CRSC is not based on the total VA offset in all cases. CRSC is approved for the service connected disabilities determined to be combat related.

3. CRSC can be paid retroactvely to first month a retiree received VA compensation with certain limitations.

Per DFAS:
Your retroactive payment date may go back as far as June 1, 2003, but can be limited based on:
  • your overall CRSC start date as awarded by your Branch of Service
  • your Purple Heart eligibility
  • your retirement date
  • your retirement law (disability or non-disability)
  • six-year barring statute
Disability retirees with less than 20 years of service will be automatically limited to a retroactive date of January 1, 2008 as required by legislation passed by Congress effective 2008.

All retroactive pay is limited to six years from the date the VA awarded compensation for each disability.

Ron

I think i asked this on another thread, but this kind of goes towards it. I voluntarily separated active in 2013, applied and eventually received VA disability, and went to the reserves where i was medically retired from 'active' in 2017 and submitted paperwork for CRSC. will my retro pay go to the date i got va or from the date i was medically retired (after 16years and some change)

Answered in the other thread.

Ron

OK, so I can only speak as to what I KNOW...not every case. First my background (not in depth, because I do not want to bore everyone). I researched everything in depth prior to submission, so I thought I had everything in place. I have my purple heart, I am 100% VA, 60% Army, so I thought it was going to be simple, easy peasy. I submitted my paperwork, then received a "denial letter" saying that I needed to submit more information. (This was right after my Medical Retirement October of 2017). I called and spoke with the case manager and he explained what he needed, so I had to call DFAS and find exactly what they needed, then had to call the VA, and so forth. Bottom line is a little over a couple of weeks, I had everything and it was all put together and submitted successfully. So, (cannot remember exactly) January, or February of this year everything was successfully submitted. They sent me a letter, saying to "allow for up to 12 months for them to review and give me their determination." Then I moved back home to Texas last month. THIS MONTH (November 2018), I received my determination letter, saying that I was approved). I logged onto DFAS and I see the pay for this month that will be deposited, so that is complete.
All of this is the good/frustrating news. I am personally pleased, but I can see the frustration that everyone is feeling. Something that I am going to mention is this. It seems that for the most time, the timeline is going to remain close to the same. Just ensure that your paperwork is straight. Here are the things that you need to make sure are in place (if you are getting ready to submit);
1) Your Purple Heart paperwork
2) Any supporting documentation for the PH
3) The application (of course)
4) If you are Medically retired and receiving VA payments instead of retirement payment (this is something that they do not tell you in the separation brief)
a) you need to get the VA waiver which shows that you have waived your military payments for the VA payments
* If your case manager asks you to call him/her, call them, they may seem like a total pain in the ass, however, I have found that they are actually helpful, even though they do not seem like they want to be there at work, much less helping you, at the end of the day, they are helpful.
** Have specific questions in place, when you call them. If you do not ask, they are not going to go out of their way to find the questions for you.
*** Just be prepared for a long wait
Even with everything in place, I know for Army HRC, it IS going to take about 10-12 months to get an approval. A denial of any kind is going to be faster. Usually, they just need more information, so, just find the information and re-submit the information.
Like, I said, this is just what I know from my case, I am not a professional in this area by any means, but I wanted to share my case personally in hopes of helping my Battle Buddies going through the same thing.

A couple of remarks regarding SFC Herpel’s excellent summary.

1. Assuming the retiree’s retirement account has already been established by DFAS, ALL the DFAS needs for CRSC is the CRSC approval document provided by the service concerned.

2. An award of the Purple Heart certainly qualifies a retiree for CRSC, but it is not a prerequisite; although I believe initially (circa 2003) it was. Many CRSC recipients (such as myself) do not have a Purple Heart. A Purple Heart is not awarded for Agent Orange related disabilities, nor do I think it should be. Many other disabilities sans Purple Heart qualify as well.
See https://www.pebforum.com/resources/supplement-to-crsc-information.103/ available for download.

Ron

Could you let me know where on the HRC website you found out? Thanks
HRC (Army):

Path

1. https://www.hrc.army.mil/

2. "My Records"

3. Login with DS password

4. Click "Reserve/Retiree/Veteran

5. Click "Documents"

6. Click on the CRSC decision you want to view/copy (all should be available)
---

Ron

A couple of remarks regarding SFC Herpel’s excellent summary.

1. Assuming the retiree’s retirement account has already been established by DFAS, ALL the DFAS needs for CRSC is the CRSC approval document provided by the service concerned.

2. An award of the Purple Heart certainly qualifies a retiree for CRSC, but it is not a prerequisite; although I believe initially (circa 2003) it was. Many CRSC recipients (such as myself) do not have a Purple Heart. A Purple Heart is not awarded for Agent Orange related disabilities, nor do I think it should be. Many other disabilities sans Purple Heart qualify as well.
See https://www.pebforum.com/resources/supplement-to-crsc-information.103/ available for download.

Ron
Great point. I was not trying to imply that. Only mentioning if you had it to submit it along with all supporting documentation. I should have mentioned just having all supporting documentation to submit.

I suspected you knew a PH was not required, but I thought I might add a clarification.

Good luck!!

Ron

I was told I would get crsc automatically. My situation is medically retired 15 years combine service. Retired at 100% according to orders from the Army reserve. Please let me know what other Info you need. Also, already 100% VA.

I was told I would get crsc automatically. My situation is medically retired 15 years combine service. Retired at 100% according to orders from the Army reserve. Please let me know what other Info you need. Also, already 100% VA.
CRSC is not automatic; one must apply for it.

Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) is a program that was created for disability and non-disability military retirees with combat-related disabilities. It is a tax free entitlement that you will be paid each month along with any retired pay you may already be receiving.
Eligibility
To qualify for CRSC you must:
  • be entitled to and/or receiving military retired pay
  • be rated at least 10 percent by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs (VA)
  • waive your VA pay from your retired pay
  • file a CRSC application with your Branch of Service
Several pages of CRSC information are on this board at this LINK. <——- Click the red button at the site to download the material.

Application procedures, examples of what is considered Combat Related, addresses of the CRSC boards for all the services, etc., are included at the linked info.

Ron