CRSC back pay and DFAS

D_street1030

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Was approved for CRSC in early April and was told the wait time for back pay was 90-120 days. I am rapidly approaching, if not passing, 120 days and have received nothing. Every single time I call DFAS about it I have to wait OVER an hour and either get hung up on by the system or just hang up in anger. Are there any tricks or shut cuts with DFAS on the phone or am I stuck?

I always call 18773274457 . just called yesterday about my crsc and my wait time was about 10 mins. good luck

Just called that number and it gave me another list of numbers to call and hung up.

Was approved for CRSC in early April and was told the wait time for back pay was 90-120 days. I am rapidly approaching, if not passing, 120 days and have received nothing. Every single time I call DFAS about it I have to wait OVER an hour and either get hung up on by the system or just hang up in anger. Are there any tricks or shut cuts with DFAS on the phone or am I stuck?
I usually starting calling DFAS at 0757 hours (Eastern) and continue to call until 0800 hours (Eastern) when DFAS is open for business. I am in the Central time zone, so the call is made at 0657 hours, my time. I have always connected by 0803 hours (Eastern).

DFAS
800-321-1080
M-F, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET

Ron

Was just told that it was started in June, hit a bump and had to be restarted on 22 July. Basically I have to call back in a month for another update.

Was just told that it was started in June, hit a bump and had to be restarted on 22 July. Basically I have to call back in a month for another update.

Re: "Bump"

It is always interesting to learn of the delays experienced by technicians who are using computers in their work.

To provide some perspective, most CRSC cases can be manually computed in 15 minutes or less. That would be for a current month. A case that involves retroactive entitlement to CRSC would take a longer period, but not more than 30-45 minutes in my opinion. I don't compute CRSC for retro periods...unless it is my own case and that last occurred in 2015.

I remember computing travel claims decades ago that were far more complicated than most CRSC computations, especially those travel claims that involved multiple foreign countries and the International Date line. I don't remember spending more than 15 minutes on any of those cases.

The "CRSC/CRDP section" is within Retired Pay. Someone recently reported a backlog involving several months for new retirement accounts. Perhaps, that is part of the "bump."

Good luck,
Ron

Re: "Bump"

It is always interesting to learn of the delays experienced by technicians who are using computers in their work.

To provide some perspective, most CRSC cases can be manually computed in 15 minutes or less. That would be for a current month. A case that involves retroactive entitlement to CRSC would take a longer period, but not more than 30-45 minutes in my opinion. I don't compute CRSC for retro periods...unless it is my own case and that last occurred in 2015.

I remember computing travel claims decades ago that were far more complicated than most CRSC computations, especially those travel claims that involved multiple foreign countries and the International Date line. I don't remember spending more than 15 minutes on any of those cases.

The "CRSC/CRDP section" is within Retired Pay. Someone recently reported a backlog involving several months for new retirement accounts. Perhaps, that is part of the "bump."

Good luck,
Ron
Thanks @Ron for the input. It is what it is at this point. I just hate the BS lines they give us day in and day out but we're kind of at their mercy. Not that I'm dying for this retro pay, but it would just be nice to be done with the whole thing in general. Again thanks for everything you do for all of us.

Just wanted to provide an update to my situation. CRSC was approved on 08 April 2019, first payment was May 2019. Inquired last month about retro pay and was told my entire audit got kicked back to the beginning and to call in a month. Called back today and talked to a DFAS retired pay TIER 2 representative who told me that my audit was in the review process but has been for about 48 days and that's too long. She was able to send an e-mail telling them they were required to provide me with an update either through e-mail or phone. If they fail to do so within a week I can call back and have the situation escalated. What I've learned throughout this process is that the TIER 2 reps at DFAS retired pay can get things done and make things happen. It's not the end of the tunnel but I'm seeing the light.

Just wanted to provide an update to my situation. CRSC was approved on 08 April 2019, first payment was May 2019. Inquired last month about retro pay and was told my entire audit got kicked back to the beginning and to call in a month. Called back today and talked to a DFAS retired pay TIER 2 representative who told me that my audit was in the review process but has been for about 48 days and that's too long. She was able to send an e-mail telling them they were required to provide me with an update either through e-mail or phone. If they fail to do so within a week I can call back and have the situation escalated. What I've learned throughout this process is that the TIER 2 reps at DFAS retired pay can get things done and make things happen. It's not the end of the tunnel but I'm seeing the light.
They told me that it now can take up to 120 days for your audit to be reviewed. Apparently it’s the longest stretch of the whole deal. Mine was submitted for review August 16 so we’ll see how long they sit on it for before they press a button! Lol

They told me that it now can take up to 120 days for your audit to be reviewed. Apparently it’s the longest stretch of the whole deal. Mine was submitted for review August 16 so we’ll see how long they sit on it for before they press a button! Lol
Yeah apparently the whole review process goes through stations. I’m not sure, I know once you get to the final station they have 30 days or they owe you feedback. Tier 2 reps help the most from DFAS that’s what I’ve learned the hard way.

Another update** Just got off the phone with DFAS. The processing department now has 72 hours to respond to me with an update rather than a week. If I hear nothing by Monday I can call back and they will involve supervisors from both the call center and the processing department. My retro pay has been in the final review stage for about 55 days now, almost twice the time it should be. I can't stress enough how helpful the tier 2 reps are.

I’m just trying to figure this all out. No two people at DFAS have said the same thing. HRC approves in September. Couldn’t change my account number in time (was told to fax a letter) called DFAS back to make sure they got it. They did the 10th of October. “But sir it takes 30 days to update through fax” so I called the bank to get my old account number. Called DFAS back. “Oh sir it’s the 28th we have to send it to the old account that we know is closed. So 1 November payment went to closed account. Came back 6 November. Was told I’ll receive that on 6 December. So CRSC updates today and they’re already deducting my SBP payment. So as always they can take it in less than 30 days but up to 120 to pay my retro. I e heard 30-60 and Ive heard “sir it always takes 120”

Go...

I’m just trying to figure this all out. No two people at DFAS have said the same thing. HRC approves in September. Couldn’t change my account number in time (was told to fax a letter) called DFAS back to make sure they got it. They did the 10th of October. “But sir it takes 30 days to update through fax” so I called the bank to get my old account number. Called DFAS back. “Oh sir it’s the 28th we have to send it to the old account that we know is closed. So 1 November payment went to closed account. Came back 6 November. Was told I’ll receive that on 6 December. So CRSC updates today and they’re already deducting my SBP payment. So as always they can take it in less than 30 days but up to 120 to pay my retro. I e heard 30-60 and Ive heard “sir it always takes 120”

Go...
You've gotta keep riding the wave man. If I understand correctly you're expecting a payment on 06 Dec, but they're taking out SBP. Are they taking your entire payment for SBP or are they only taking a portion?

Oh I’m getting December’s payment on 1 December. Which will be the 29th of this month. On the 6th of December I’ll actually get my No ember payment because it takes 30 days to send out after returned from the bank I told them not to send it to. And no they’re just taking out the $168 a month. It shows as a garnishment. Basically making the payment for me. Which is fine. But I’ve been medically retired since 2016 and you haven’t audited my account.

Oh I’m getting December’s payment on 1 December. Which will be the 29th of this month. On the 6th of December I’ll actually get my No ember payment because it takes 30 days to send out after returned from the bank I told them not to send it to. And no they’re just taking out the $168 a month. It shows as a garnishment. Basically making the payment for me. Which is fine. But I’ve been medically retired since 2016 and you haven’t audited my account.
Are you talking about audit in terms of back pay? If so, that's a 180 day thing and you have to dig deeper into DFAS to get answers on where that's at.

Yeah they owe 41 months of retro.
That's going to take a while. If you call them back ask to talk to a "tier 2 representative in regards to your crsc retroactive payment" and they'll get you transferred. The tier 2 rep will give you the best description they can of where you're at and what to expect.

The VA compensation that will be paid on 29 November 2019 is for the period 1-30 November. The payment for 1-31 December 2019 should be made on 31 December since the first is a holiday.

You mentioned, "On the 6th of December, I’ll actually get my November payment because..." That payment will be for the month of October (1-31 October 2019).

Ron

Yes my payment for November they sent to a closed USAA account because it didn’t change in the system and they can’t stop it they said. Well it came back to DFAS as a closed account on the 6th of November. They said it will resend in 30 days (6 Dec) to my correct account.