CRSC Calculation Blowing My Mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayd31313

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Re: The 2013 posts

You should also consider Mike Parker’s added remarks:
“There is another factor in play that needs to be condidered if your DoD disability retirement is greater than your total VA disability compensation. The amount of DoD retirement above the amount of LOS retirement will still offset any amount of CRSC due.”

“In short, you should get an amount between DoD and the VA that equals your total VA and the lesser of your VA compensation for combat related conditions and your LOS retirement amount. You should not get less than this. There are situations where an individual will get more than this amount. It happens when their DoD disability retirement is greater than their total VA and their LOS retirement amount/VA comp for combat related conditions.”

Mike
—————-

IF you have a regular retirement rather than a disability retirement, the computation is straightforward.
Example: All my VA compensation (100%) was approved as combat related by the Army CRSC board. My VA comp is more than my regular retirement military retirement; therefore, all my waived retired pay is replaced by CRSC.

In cases where a “regular retiree “ receives CRSC rate/approval less than the VA comp percentage, it is usually best to select CRDP (if eligible) because more retired pay will be waived than restored via CRSC in that type case.

Ron
Good point.....as of now, I'm rated at 60% via the VA and was just approved for CRSC at the rate of 50% (audit being conducted as we speak to reflect 60% as well). I'm a regular retiree with 25 yrs (Army).

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Good point.....as of now, I'm rated at 60% via the VA and was just approved for CRSC at the rate of 50% (audit being conducted as we speak to reflect 60% as well). I'm a regular retiree with 25 yrs (Army).
Based on the info you posted, if your VA is 60% and your CRSC is 50%, you would lose money by choosing CRSC.

Once you make a selection between CRSC and CRDP, you are struck with your choice until open season which is in January of each year.

I once chose CRSC @ a lower rate than VA comp because of additional income. In that case, the tax benefit overrode the lesser payment.

Ron

Jayd31313

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Based on the info you posted, if your VA is 60% and your CRSC is 50%, you would lose money by choosing CRSC.

Once you make a selection between CRSC and CRDP, you are struck with your choice until open season which is in January of each year.

I once chose CRSC @ a lower rate than VA comp because of additional income. In that case, the tax benefit overrode the lesser payment.

Ron
Got it.....so the actual payment (if the % was the same) is the same meaning that the main difference is one is taxable while the other is not?

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Got it.....so the actual payment (if the % was the same) is the same meaning that the main difference is one is taxable while the other is not?
[/QUOTE
Yes, except for deductions such as taxes, etc., when receiving CRDP. SBP can now be collected from CRSC.

Example for regular retirement, VA rating 70%; CRSC rating 70% = only difference would be one is taxed and the other is not.
Also, CRSC has a separate DFAS statement.

There are cases where the retiree’s VA comp is less than retired pay. That results both a RAS and a CRSC statement when CRSC is chosen. CRDP cases have only the DFAS RAS.

Ron

Last edited:

Jayd31313

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Received a notice stating what you explained....my CRSC is rated at %50 whereas my CRDP "was" at %60. You stated that open season is in January if wanting to change it back, do you happen to know what form is required for such?

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Received a notice stating what you explained....my CRSC is rated at %50 whereas my CRDP "was" at %60. You stated that open season is in January if wanting to change it back, do you happen to know what form is required for such?
DFAS will automatically send the form to you. Ron

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
The following pertained to calendar year 2017. I suspect the 2019 process of election will be similar. Please note that if you do NOT want a change, the form does not have to be returned.

DFAS:
2017 CRDP/CRSC Open Season Announcement

The 2017 CRDP/CRSC Open Season is Jan. 1-31, 2017. Retirees who are eligible for both CRDP and CRSC will receive an Open Season Letter with the amount of their entitlements. Please follow the instructions on the letter. Only return the letter to DFAS to change your election for 2017. Your election must be post-marked by January 31, 2017.
——-
Again, the info above is from 2017.
Ron

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
The following pertains to calendar year 2019.
From DFAS:
The 2019 CRDP/CRSC Open Season is January 1-31, 2019. Retirees who are eligible for both CRDP and CRSC will receive an Open Season Letter with the amount of their entitlements. Follow the instructions on the letter. Only return the letter to DFAS to change your current election for 2019. Your election must be postmarked by January 31, 2019.

Ron

candida36

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I am having a hard time trying to calculate what my crsc amount will be.

Rank- 02-E
14 years of service
my retirement order states - 2 years 22 days disability retirement
Retirement amount shown of my retirement statement is 3650.00, but I am not eligible to receive it because didn't do 20 years so all I get now is the difference which is like 21.00 for retirement plus 3620 from VA.
VA 100% 3620.00
CRSC approval 100%

Need help with calculation please.

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I am having a hard time trying to calculate what my crsc amount will be.

Rank- 02-E
14 years of service
my retirement order states - 2 years 22 days disability retirement
Retirement amount shown of my retirement statement is 3650.00, but I am not eligible to receive it because didn't do 20 years so all I get now is the difference which is like 21.00 for retirement plus 3620 from VA.
VA 100% 3620.00
CRSC approval 100%
Need help with calculation please.
Precise info is needed to offer an accurate computation; please furnish it in one post. If one is just guessing at the info, this process has no value.

See the following for info needed. I would be happy to provide an estimate.

The information associated with all of the five numbered items below is needed. Incomplete answers will preclude an accurate estimate. Each numbered item below is a factor in the CRSC calculation.

1. High three base pay average for retirement or your current DoD disability retirement gross found on page one of the DFAS RAS. Please indicate whether you are providing the high three average or the retirement gross found on the DFAS RAS. The high-36 method is the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay divided by 36. This is generally the last 3 years of service and is sometimes called high-3. EXAMPLE: High three average $3333 (or alternative: Gross Retired Pay on DFAS RAS $xxxx.xx)

2. DoD disability retirement percentage. EXAMPLE: 50% DoD (this is absolutely necessary)

3. Years and months of active duty EXAMPLE: 11 years and 3 months
Note: The creditable years of service (active duty equivalent) for a reserve calculation is determined by the sum of accumulated reserve points divided by 360.

4. VA compensation percentage and amount plus identify dependents by category and number EXAMPLE: 60% VA Compensation, $1600, Spouse and 6 children under 18

5. Approved or expected combat related disability percentage (application was required). EXAMPLE: 70% CRSC

Please provide ALL the info above and a computation will be provided.

Regards,

Ron

candida36

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
1. Gross retired pay shown on DFAS = $3650.00

2. DOD Disability Retirement Percentage= 100% which would be 75%

3. Reserve Calculation= 2 years 00 months 21 days

4. VA rating= 100% $3620.00 Veteran and 2 children under 18

5. Approved CRSC 100%

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member

3. Reserve Calculation= 2 years 00 months 21 days

5. Approved CRSC 100%
A. 3650/ 0.75 = 4867 high three
B. 2 yrs AD X 2.5% =5%
C. 4867 x 0.05 = 243.35 longevity portion of retired pay
D. All retired pay is offset by 3620 VA comp except $30
E. Approved CRSC rate is >3000
F. 243.35 is less than item E
G. CRSC based on info provided =243.35 minus 30 = 213.35
H. DFAS = 213.35 + 30 residual Ret Pay = 243.35

Ron

Flyerdave6

Registered Member
Looking for CRDP and or CRSC guidance and clarification. I am an Iraq OIF 2 Vet, NJ National Guardsman, 100% rated "SERVICE - CONNECTED' for PTSD. I have held a 50% and greater rating since 2008 that has been increased from there to 70% in 2010 then 100% in 1014, then P&T in feb of 2017.

I have 22 years of GOOD years with the NJ National Guard (a 20 year letter with my points from DMAVA) along with all of my rating letters from the VA 50% ltr in 08, 70% ltr in 10 100% ltr in 14 and P&T ltr in 2017.

I am NOT of RETIREMENT AGE! I am only 50 years old. Am I entitled to CRDP and or CRSC?? Or retro retirement IAW either one of these laws? I have phoned DFAS and got stuck on DFAS HOLD for an hour and a half. got no where.

Again, OIF 2 Vet. 100% VA Rated COMBAT Related for PTSD. Over all Rating in over 200 (9) surgeries since home. Just have my back fused. Have NO problem with VA rating being Combat Related correspondence proof. Got that! I am only 50 years old.

HELP PLEASE I AM CONFUSED

gsfowler

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
You are eligible for CRDP when you reach retirement age for your non-regular NG retirement. You may be able to file for CRSC once you are retirement eligible. No retro retirement.

Flyerdave6

Registered Member
You are eligible for CRDP when you reach retirement age for your non-regular NG retirement. You may be able to file for CRSC once you are retirement eligible. No retro retirement.
??? What ???

So the answer is NO? I must be 60 in both cases? Being Combat Wounded means nothing with the branch?

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
You must be in receipt of retired pay in both instances.

CRSC replaces some or all waived retired pay. CRDP restores Retired Pay.

Do you have a disability retirement? It was not mentioned in your post; consequently, CRSC for disability retirees was not discussed.

To qualify for CRSC you must:
  • be entitled to and/or receiving military retired pay
  • be rated at least 10 percent by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs (VA)
  • waive your VA pay from your retired pay
  • file a CRSC application with your Branch of Service

Ron

candida36

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Need help figuring out what my CRSC monthly amount will be. Thank you in advance :)

3. Reserve Calculation= 7 years 00 months 21 days

5. Approved CRSC 100%

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Need help figuring out what my CRSC monthly amount will be. Thank you in advance :)

3. Reserve Calculation= 7 years 00 months 21 days

5. Approved CRSC 100%
Hello,

A. 3650/0.75 = 4866.67 high three
B. 3650 minus 3620 VA comp = 30 residual retired pay
C. 7 AD years equivalent x 0.025 = 17.5% multiplier
D. 4866.67 x 0.175 = 851.67 dollar amount of longevity retired pay
E. Item D is the CRSC and reduced by amount of residual ret pay: 851.67 minus 30 = 821.67 CRSC
F. DFAS pays 821.67 CRSC + 30 residual retired pay = 851.67
G. VA pays = 3620

Ron

added: Excellent presentation on your part.

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Reserve Points for Active Duty Equivalent
[start]

10 U.S. Code § 12733.Computation of retired pay: computation of years of service
For the purpose of computing the retired pay of a person under this chapter, the person’s years of service and any fraction of such a year are computed by dividing 360 into the sum of the following:
(1)
The person’s days of active service.
(2)
The person’s days of full-time service under sections 316, 502, 503, 504, and 505 of title 32 while performing annual training duty or while attending a prescribed course of instruction at a school designated as a service school by law or by the Secretary concerned.
(3)One day for each point credited to the person under clause (B), (C), or (D) of section 12732(a)(2) of this title, but not more than—
(A)
[not more than] 60 days in any one year of service before the year of service that includes September 23, 1996;
(B)
[not more than] 75 days in the year of service that includes September 23, 1996, and in any subsequent year of service before the year of service that includes October 30, 2000;
(C)
[not more than] 90 days in the year of service that includes October 30, 2000, and in any subsequent year of service before the year of service that includes October 30, 2007; and
(D)
[not more than] 130 days in the year of service that includes October 30, 2007, and in any subsequent year of service.
(4)
[not more than] One day for each point credited to the person under subparagraph (E) of section 12732(a)(2) of this title.
(5)
[not more than] 50 days for each year before July 1, 1949, and proportionately for each fraction of a year, of service (other than active service) in a reserve component of an armed force, in the Army or the Air Force without component, or in any other category covered by section 12732(a)(1) of this title, except a regular component. [end of quotation]
—-
Also see Section 12732 <—-LINK

Ron

Last edited:

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Old thread closed. Initial questions answered long ago.

New CRSC requests for information should be posted in the CRSC forum at this CRSC LINK <---

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">