CRSC Calculation Blowing My Mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dianonhead

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Recently I was approved for CRSC and since I have been trying to calculate what it will come out to. I have read the threads on here and cannot wrap my mind around the calculations to estimate the possible money benefit. I went through the IDES system and was found 100% by DOD and 100% by the VA as well. My CRSC letter I received stated my injuries were 100% combat related. I tried to use the DFAS calculator but it seems all the links are dead for it. If any one could literally walk me through Barney style on this I would be appreciative.
[Old thread closed. Initial questions answered long ago.
New CRSC requests for information should be posted in the CRSC forum at this CRSC LINK <---

Ron]

Yep, double checked it and that will take you to it.

Bear in mind the truth changed recently when Congress passed legislation that fixed the CRSC glitch. In short, if you VA is greater than you DoD disability retirement amount, you should get an amount equal to you length of service retirement amount or the amount of VA for combat related conditions, whichever is less. If your DoD disability
retirment is grerater than you VA, there still could be an offset of the CRSC by the amount of DoD disability retirement that is greater than the amount earned by length of service.

Mike

I cannot get this calculator to load at all on my computer. @maparker I am not grasping the calculations required to figure this out. Is there anyway that you could walk me through this thing?

CRSC bases the payments on the VA compensation tables and years of service retirement. Once you send in your packet, the CRSC board approves you for a combined percentage just like the VA does. This combined percentage represents the same amount that percentage on the compensation tables. Now you have to figure your retirement based on years of service (YOS). It's 2.5 X YOS = Retirement pay for CRSC purposes. Now take the number you found on the compensation table and compare it to your YOS retirement pay. It will restore your retirement pay by the amount paid by the compensation table. So for me, it looks like this.

Before CRSC
DOD YOS Retirement: $1425 (not paid due to VA being higher and offsetting DOD pay)
VA Compensation: $1483
Total Pay: $1483

After CRSC
DOD YOS Retirement: $1425 (not paid due to VA being higher and offsetting DOD pay)
CRSC Award (50%): $946
Total Pay: $2371

CRSC restored $946 of my retired pay. Again the payment is based on the VA compensation charts, which was 50% for me. If you take the same example and bump the CRSC percentage up to 70% I would max out and get my whole retirement back. CRSC can't exceed what your retirement is based on years of service.

Hope this helps

Joe

I think I just became more confused about CRSC after readin this thread

Makes sense to me.

I appreciate the posts but it just isn't clicking. I'll just take my usual path and give up until they send me a letter. Between a VA%, DOD%, CRSC% and all the shit in between my mind is nuked.

I had a decent grasp of the basics of CRSC however when you started talking about YOS x 2.5 I became some what lost

YOS = Years of service. CRSC is based on years of service retirement, not your disability percentage. So to figure out your CRSC amount, you need to take the years you served and multiply that by 2.5. Next take the percentage you came up with and multiply that by your high three base pay amount.. This will be your CRSC retirement eligible amount. So say you are an E4 with 7 years of service:

7 X 2.5 = 17.5%

His high 3 pay is $2403 per month

.175 X $2403 = $420

$420 is the amount of your retirement pay that CRSC can be applied against.

So if the CRSC board awards this soldier 50% he would then go to the VA compensation charts and find how much the VA would pay for 50%. Lets assume our E4 is single and has no children. On the VA compensation charts, 50% for a veteran with no dependents is $810.

The last step is to take that $810 and apply it to your years of service retirement amount. As you can see, $810 is more than $420, but the soldier is only eligible for his retirement based on years of service and would not get $810, he would get $420 as his CRSC award.

So to figure out your CRSC amount (+/- a few bucks) do this:

YOS X 2.5 = CRSC Retirement eligible percentage
CRSC Retirement X high three pay = CRSC eligible pay
Find CRSC award percentage on the VA compensation table
Apply VA compensation amount against your CRSC eligible pay. If the VA compensation amount is less than your CRSC eligible pay, you will get the full amount based on the VA compensation table. If your CRSC eligible pay is less than the amount on the VA compensation chart, you will only get the amount equal to your CRSC eligible pay.

I can't break it down any better than this. If this doesn't do it for you, I just can't help ya :)

There is another factor in play that needs to be condidered if your DoD disability retirement is greater than your total VA disability compensation. The amount of DoD retirement above the amount of LOS retirement will still offset any amount of CRSC due.

In short, you should get an amount between DoD and the VA that equals your total VA and the lesser of your VA compensation for combat related conditions and your LOS retirement amount. You should not get less than this. There are situations where an individual will get more than this amount. It happens when their DoD disability retirement is greater than their total VA and their LOS retirement amount/VA comp for combat related conditions.

Mike

I understand that and gentlemen I thank you for clearing the years of service part(range rear I knew what YOS stood for). Mr Parker, if the service member elects to turn down his dod retirement because VA is higher, is that when you ca " double dip" per say and collect both with the CRSC?

Also, if awarded CRSC, is that income tax free as well?

Anybody know?

I was put out via the IDES system.
DoD 60%
VA 100% P&T Housebound
19 years of service
All issues service connected and should be combat related
Looking into CRSC as I went with BA due to the higher comp.
I qualify for CRSC and should have no problem obtaining 100%.
Just looking how this would impact my current VA disability if any or add to it because I received no pension from the DoD for my 19 years of service. Any help would be great.
My high 3 years would be 2013,14,15 at. An E-6 level.

Can someone please help this lost Sailor find home port on this CRSC stuff.

[email protected]

CRSC bases the payments on the VA compensation tables and years of service retirement. Once you send in your packet, the CRSC board approves you for a combined percentage just like the VA does. This combined percentage represents the same amount that percentage on the compensation tables. Now you have to figure your retirement based on years of service (YOS). It's 2.5 X YOS = Retirement pay for CRSC purposes. Now take the number you found on the compensation table and compare it to your YOS retirement pay. It will restore your retirement pay by the amount paid by the compensation table. So for me, it looks like this.

Before CRSC
Total Pay: $1483

After CRSC
CRSC Award (50%): $946
Total Pay: $2371

CRSC restored $946 of my retired pay. Again the payment is based on the VA compensation charts, which was 50% for me. If you take the same example and bump the CRSC percentage up to 70% I would max out and get my whole retirement back. CRSC can't exceed what your retirement is based on years of service.

Hope this helps

Joe
Thanks, this really cleared it up for me.....

Thanks, this really cleared it up for me.....

Re: The 2013 posts

You should also consider Mike Parker’s added remarks:
“There is another factor in play that needs to be condidered if your DoD disability retirement is greater than your total VA disability compensation. The amount of DoD retirement above the amount of LOS retirement will still offset any amount of CRSC due.”

“In short, you should get an amount between DoD and the VA that equals your total VA and the lesser of your VA compensation for combat related conditions and your LOS retirement amount. You should not get less than this. There are situations where an individual will get more than this amount. It happens when their DoD disability retirement is greater than their total VA and their LOS retirement amount/VA comp for combat related conditions.”

Mike
—————-

IF you have a regular retirement rather than a disability retirement, the computation is straightforward.
Example: All my VA compensation (100%) was approved as combat related by the Army CRSC board. My VA comp is more than my regular retirement military retirement; therefore, all my waived retired pay is replaced by CRSC.

In cases where a “regular retiree “ receives CRSC rate/approval less than the VA comp percentage, it is usually best to select CRDP (if eligible) because more retired pay will be waived than restored via CRSC in that type case.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.