CRSC Calculation Please

Celio

Registered Member
Hello Mr. Ron,

--My high 3 is $6010
--I was approved for 50% DOD in my medical retirements, which is $2918.
-- I have 8 years and 2 months and 16 days of active duty
--I receive 100% VA which is $3450.32 I have a wife and two kids
--Approved 60% CRSC-- wife and two kids
—I do not contribute to anything else

Thank you what you do here Ron!!!

Hello Mr. Ron,

--My high 3 is $6010
--I was approved for 50% DOD in my medical retirements, which is $2918.
-- I have 8 years and 2 months and 16 days of active duty
--I receive 100% VA which is $3450.32 I have a wife and two kids
--Approved 60% CRSC-- wife and two kids
—I do not contribute to anything else

Thank you what you do here Ron!!!
Hi @Celio

1. 2918 retired pay reduced to zero by amount of VA compensation.
2. 8.17 AD x 2.5% = 20.43% longevity multiplier
3. You said high 3 = 6010 x 20.43% = 1227.84 longevity portion of retired pay
4. CRSC RATE 60% with spouse & 2 children = more than 1227.84
5. CRSC payable = 1227.84

Note: Either the high three you gave 6010 is wrong or the 50% DoD is wrong, 2918.

It makes little difference.

Ron

Hi Ron,

Thank you for calculating this for me. You're right, I did incorrectly provide my high 3.

My correct high 3 is: $5,776 (determined by my gross DFAS RAS of $2,888)
All else remains the same.

According to your calculations, that means my CRSC should be ~$1180.03.

With all that said, I recently received my first CRSC pay statement, and I was awarded $943 instead (after my SBP garnishment, it is $755.23).

I'm not sure where the difference is coming from and was wondering if you had any insight. Wanted to ask you before I called DFAS.

Thank you for your time!

Hello @Celio

You must have been in the blended retirement program.

8.17 AD x 2% = longevity multiplier 16.34%
5776 x 16.34% = 943 longevity amount

Ron

P.S.
One of my links under my signature outlines the precise info needed for an accurate computation of CRSC.
If I kicked back every request for a CRSC estimate, I imagine more than 50% would be returned. If it seems to have certain key info, I will give it a try.

This does not pertain to you, but many seem throw numbers in out of the blue. That makes the estimate worthless.

Last edited:
1.-- The Gross retired pay on my DFAS RAS is $2888
1a.-- I did receive a DoD disability retirement.

2.-- My DOD disability retirement (Chapter 61) percentage shown in my retirement orders was 50%.

3.-- My active duty equivalent shown on my retirement orders was: 8 years and 2 months and 16 days.

4.-- VA compensation (All of the following):
a. My VA Compensation percentage is 100%.
b. The amount of my VA compensation is $3,537.49.
c. My dependents for VA compensation are spouse and 2 children under 18.
d. I do not receive any SMC.

5.-- My approved CRSC percentage is 60%.

6.-- I do not qualify for any other retirement.

7.-- I did not receive REDUX/CSB.

8.-- I'm not sure if I was under the blended retirement program or not.

The answer was provided earlier today. Evidently, you were under the blended retirement program.

5776 x 16.34% = 943 longevity amount.

Special Rules for Chapter 61 Disability Retirees: According to law, members retired for disability under Chapter 61 of title 10 United States Code must have the CRSC entitlement limited to an amount that when combined with any military retired pay remaining after offset for VA disability compensation will not exceed the retired pay they would otherwise be entitled to for retirement computed for years of service (i.e., 2 1/2 percent x active duty or active duty equivalent years of service x high three average base pay). Note: 2 percent is used for those enrolled in the Blended Retirement Program.

Ron

Hello @Celio

5776 x 16.34% = 943 longevity amount

Ron

P.S.
One of my links under my signature outlines the precise info needed for an accurate computation of CRSC.
If I kicked back every request for a CRSC estimate, I imagine more than 50% would be returned. If it seems to have certain key info, I will give it a try.

This does not pertain to you, but many seem throw numbers in out of the blue. That makes the estimate worthless.
Hi Ron,

Ahh, that makes sense. I appreciate the clarification. I do not recall opting into the blended retirement program as I wasn't contributing to the TSP at the time either. How can I confirm that I actually opted into the BRP? Since I never actually contributed to my retirement, TSP or BRP, it seems that by opting into BRP, I inadvertently screwed myself with my CRSC award...

Hello,

I retired 30 years ago so I had no experience with the blended retirement.

You might look through your retained retirement documents. DFAS would not have used the 2% unless they had info about the newer program.

Obviously, I do not know. I will do some searching later today.

Good luck,
Ron

Hi Ron,

Ahh, that makes sense. I appreciate the clarification. I do not recall opting into the blended retirement program as I wasn't contributing to the TSP at the time either. How can I confirm that I actually opted into the BRP? Since I never actually contributed to my retirement, TSP or BRP, it seems that by opting into BRP, I inadvertently screwed myself with my CRSC award...
Check your last LAS. The retirement type should be listed in box on the right hand side next to DIEMS box just below the EOM PAY BOX. Check this link out for options: Retirement Basically if it says BRS then you are on the blended system.

Hello Celio,

The Data for Payment of Retired Personal form (DD Form 2656) must be signed by the retiree, includes type of retirement. It is one of the most important forms in the retirement packet.

Only a portion of the form is shown below.
1638309932043.png

Last edited:
Check your last LAS. The retirement type should be listed in box on the right hand side next to DIEMS box just below the EOM PAY BOX. Check this link out for options: Retirement Basically if it says BRS then you are on the blended system.
Hello @Celio

I gave this matter some thought last night. @Provis provided some excellent information. If your LES (I assume that is the same as the LAS mentioned) shows other than BRS and there is no evidence that you selected the BRS, then the Data for Payment of Retired Personal form (DD Form 2656) was likely incorrectly prepared.

If the DD 2656 was incorrectly prepared, you might apply for a correction to military records. It could prove financially beneficial.

Ron