CRSC Calculation

Alexander2005

Registered Member
1. High three: $6,986
DFAS RAS: $5,239
* I retired 1-Nov 2022, and received my first DOD check 1-Dec for the correct mount of $5,239, tax free (combat related), and full amount from DOD, as my VA claim is being finalized but have received proposed VA findings with ratings and pay amounts. Once I get the VA awards letter, I will then apply for CRSC.

2. DoD disability rating is 100%, PDRL, combat related.
* Was told by my retirement section for my branch that the “combat related” makes the retirement tax free, and that lines up with what I was paid from DFAS for my first and only check so far.

3. My active duty time: 17 years and 9 months, 14 days

4. VA compensation:
-- 100%, $3,666.94, Single Veteran with 2 children under 18 *NO SPOUSE
- I believe there is a SMC for $150 a month for ED, but am not sure of the code, and don’t have awards letter yet. Just proposed findings.
* Again, these are my proposed findings and should be finalized in the next 30 days.

5. Two calculations please:
70% CRSC:
100% CRSC:
* Currently 70% of my rated conditions from my DOD findings are coded as combat related. My IDES attorney tells me 70% will be the minimum I would receive, based off what is coded combat related. The attorney is helping put a package together with the DD 2860, and is confident we can get 100% CRSC- so want to figure what’s known, and what is best case.

6. Yes and no, TERA.
* This is interesting for me… I did qualify for TERA, if I waived my DOD findings. Which I accepted my findings and did not opt for TERA. I was a mustang officer and did not have my ten years commissioned service and would’ve had to revert back to my prior enlisted rank for retirement and pay calculation. Accepting the findings from the DOD at 100% PDRL, at my pay grade and high 3 at 03E, tax free, and keeping that earned rank, and fact I would be eligible for CRSC- was my choice compared to TERA as an E6 with concurrent VA receipt. Anyway that’s my story a bit!

OTHER:
- I am interested in how this is all going to work and break down? What happens once I get VA findings? When I get CRSC?
- Once I get VA findings, my basic understanding is:
1. VA check for ~ $3,700
2. DOD check for ~ $1,500 ( current DFAS RAS of ~$5,200 minus VA)
* Then apply for CRSC
3. DOD check for CRSC?
- What is the timeline for all this, again my retirment was 1-Nov-2022, until all is done and pays are all happening?

I know this is more info and questions then needed for calculations, but I also have seen how knowledgeable you are on this, and this is my life right now.

Thanks Ron

Hello @Alexander2005

This was initially prepared using a different format.

High three: $6,986
DFAS RAS: $5,239 YES, THIS IS 75% OF 6986

My active duty time: 17 years and 9 months, 14 days HOPEFULLY, THAT IS THE SAME DATA THAT IS SHOWN ON PAGE ONE OF YOUR RETIREMENT ORDERS AS "DISABILITY RETIREMENT" 17.75 ACTIVE DUTY EQUIVALENT X 2.5% = 44.38% longevity multiplier. 6986 x 44.38% = 3100.39 LONGEVITY PORTION OF RETIREMENT PAY. THE COMBINATION OF RESIDUAL RETIREMENT PAY AND CRSC CANNOT EXCEED THIS AMOUNT.

VA compensation: RETIREMENT PAY 5239 MINUS 3666.94 = 1572.06 residual retired pay

3100.39 longevity retirement minus residual retirement pay 1572.06 = 1528.33 maximum CRSC using one of the ceilings
70% CRSC: 1,757.06 + 70 = 1827.06

CRSC @70% = 1827.06 using new tables
Maximum combined amount 3100.39 longevity portion of retirement pay minus 1572.06 residual retired pay = 1528.33 max CRSC
VA will pay the VA comp.
DFAS will pay:

Residual retired pay 1572.06 plus 1528.33 CRSC = 3100.39 LONGEVITY PORTION OF RETIREMENT PAY (two separate payments)

I did not check the figures you used except for the high three. I used the new VA tables for my computations and did not include SMC-K in the computation.

This is a rough estimate. You max out without having 100%.

Please return once you begin receiving payments and let us know how this turned out.

Ron

1. High three: $6,986
DFAS RAS: $5,239
* I retired 1-Nov 2022, and received my first DOD check 1-Dec for the correct mount of $5,239, tax free (combat related), and full amount from DOD, as my VA claim is being finalized but have received proposed VA findings with ratings and pay amounts. Once I get the VA awards letter, I will then apply for CRSC.

2. DoD disability rating is 100%, PDRL, combat related.
* Was told by my retirement section for my branch that the “combat related” makes the retirement tax free, and that lines up with what I was paid from DFAS for my first and only check so far.

3. My active duty time: 17 years and 9 months, 14 days

4. VA compensation:
-- 100%, $3,666.94, Single Veteran with 2 children under 18 *NO SPOUSE
- I believe there is a SMC for $150 a month for ED, but am not sure of the code, and don’t have awards letter yet. Just proposed findings.
* Again, these are my proposed findings and should be finalized in the next 30 days.

5. Two calculations please:
70% CRSC:
100% CRSC:
* Currently 70% of my rated conditions from my DOD findings are coded as combat related. My IDES attorney tells me 70% will be the minimum I would receive, based off what is coded combat related. The attorney is helping put a package together with the DD 2860, and is confident we can get 100% CRSC- so want to figure what’s known, and what is best case.

6. Yes and no, TERA.
* This is interesting for me… I did qualify for TERA, if I waived my DOD findings. Which I accepted my findings and did not opt for TERA. I was a mustang officer and did not have my ten years commissioned service and would’ve had to revert back to my prior enlisted rank for retirement and pay calculation. Accepting the findings from the DOD at 100% PDRL, at my pay grade and high 3 at 03E, tax free, and keeping that earned rank, and fact I would be eligible for CRSC- was my choice compared to TERA as an E6 with concurrent VA receipt. Anyway that’s my story a bit!

OTHER:
- I am interested in how this is all going to work and break down? What happens once I get VA findings? When I get CRSC?
- Once I get VA findings, my basic understanding is:
1. VA check for ~ $3,700
2. DOD check for ~ $1,500 ( current DFAS RAS of ~$5,200 minus VA)
* Then apply for CRSC
3. DOD check for CRSC?
- What is the timeline for all this, again my retirment was 1-Nov-2022, until all is done and pays are all happening?

I know this is more info and questions then needed for calculations, but I also have seen how knowledgeable you are on this, and this is my life right now.

Thanks Ron
Glad things are working out for you. I did not know TERA is still an option, at least not for Army. I did hear AF may still be offering it for now.

Glad things are working out for you. I did not know TERA is still an option, at least not for Army. I did hear AF may still be offering it for now.
The Army has ended the Temporary Early Retirement Authority (TERA) program. Service members eligible for TERA must have submitted a request through their chain of command by January 15, 2018 for early retirement consideration. The authority to approve TERA was terminated on February 28, 2018.

The authority to utilize TERA until December 31, 2025 is for force-shaping of active military forces. So while the use of TERA is still authorized, the conditions for its use are not applicable at the present time.

The FY 2012 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), Public Law 112-81, enacted 31 December 2011, authorized the military services to offer early retirement to Service members who have completed at least 15 years of active service. This is a discretionary authority and not an entitlement. The Army has elected to use this limited program as part of a comprehensive force management strategy to shape the force. It does not apply to Service members of the Army National Guard or the U.S. Army Reserve.

Ron

The Army has ended the Temporary Early Retirement Authority (TERA) program. Service members eligible for TERA must have submitted a request through their chain of command by January 15, 2018 for early retirement consideration. The authority to approve TERA was terminated on February 28, 2018.

The authority to utilize TERA until December 31, 2025 is for force-shaping of active military forces. So while the use of TERA is still authorized, the conditions for its use are not applicable at the present time.
The FY 2012 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), Public Law 112-81, enacted 31 December 2011, authorized the military services to offer early retirement to Service members who have completed at least 15 years of active service. This is a discretionary authority and not an entitlement. The Army has elected to use this limited program as part of a comprehensive force management strategy to shape the force. It does not apply to Service members of the Army National Guard or the U.S. Army Reserve.

Ron
Hello Ron, First and foremost thank you for what you too. I have traveled through the Journey of PEB, to Medical Retirement. One thing that I have stumbled on was CRSC. I submitted my application 2 years ago, it was denied due to lack of everything " evidence". So I recently summitted. I like many have had to go back and forth and open door that need to remain in the past. But I am wondering how this whole CRSC payment works. Currently:

I am 100 P&T
PMTL: started at 50, now 70, but said, rating alone is 100% I was retired for.
I only get VA, uncle same keeps 3k.
from all the reading on here, I am looking at a nice 0 for CRSC ?

moreover, the laws need to be revised, given the inflation and everything, I do not understand why if retired, cant get said retirement and va. It's not like we all asked to be injured you know, we do have several things in life like family, life, to have to have money to survive :>).

Attachments

• va.jpg
    va.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 31
Hello @Zandercooke7

You did not mention the type of retirement you have, and you also did not mention how many active-duty years or active-duty equivalent years you have.

IF you have a disability retirement and you do not qualify for CRDP, then CRSC is path to receiving a replacement for some or all of the VA offset/Waiver.
In my case (a regular 20 AD retirement), all my retired pay is waived, BUT I receive the same amount in CRSC as it approved at 100%.

One can easily find hundreds of computations of CRSC entitlement on this board. Just about every possible scenario is addressed. We can provide a CRSC estimate if you provide all the info shown in Information necessary for CRSC estimate: LINK <---

Assuming you are a CH 61 retiree (disability) and have not attained service requirement for CRDP, your CRSC entitlement would be:
--The lesser (lower amount) of the longevity portion of your retired pay
active duty or active duty equivalent years x 2.5% (2% for blended retirement) = longevity multiplier. Longevity multiplier x average high three base pay = longevity portion of retirement pay
OR
--The amount for the approved CRSC percentage which is found in the VA compensation tables.

See the links below my signature block for useful CRSC info.

Good luck,
Ron
Discussion, DoD Retired Pay and VA Compensation LINK <----
Army CRSC Page LINK <—-

Collection of CRSC information
LINK <—-
Information necessary for CRSC estimate: LINK <---

Last edited:
Additional information pertaining to waiver of retired pay; VA compensation; CRSC; and other matters related to CH 61 retirees.

DFAS Retired Pay and VA Compensation for Chapter 61 Retirees with Less than 20 Years Active Duty

Each Chapter 61 disability retiree will receive two separate ratings.
--DoD rating for only those disabilities that make the member unfit for continued service. The DFAS and USCG pays military retired pay.
--VA rating for ALL service-connected disabilities. The VA pays VA compensation.

The retiree has an option to select VA compensation and waive retired pay in an amount equal to the amount of VA compensation. I have never seen one case where it was better to decline VA compensation, irrespective of the VA percentage being 10%, 20%, or 100% (using only a few examples). If the amount of VA compensation is less than the amount of the DoD retired pay, the retiree gets to keep the amount in excess of the VA compensation amount (known as residual retired pay) paid by DFAS or USCG, in addition to their VA compensation.

In no case is the amount of VA compensation reduced, in the context of this discussion, unless the retiree refuses to accept VA compensation.

The myth that the retiree receives the higher of VA compensation or DoD Retired Pay, is misleading since there is the possibility of residual retired pay. See the comment above pertaining to residual retired pay.

Here is one example of the computation of retired pay and VA compensation. (This is a case from several months ago.)

1. Using your info, your retired pay will be average high three base pay multiplied by 70% = DoD retired pay
2. Using your info, your VA compensation (100%) will be an amount in excess of $3000.
3. Your retired pay will be reduced dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received.
4. If any retired pay is left over (i.e., residual retired pay), you get to keep it. You also are paid your VA compensation.
5. Most retirees having a similar situation end up with just the VA compensation as there is zero residual retired pay.
6. If eligible for CRSC and your application is approved by your service, some or all of the retired pay reduced/waived, can be replaced by CRSC.

Note: The example percentage at item 1 would be the DoD disability percentage. However, if the longevity multiplier was higher, it would be used instead.

Average High Three Base Pay: The total of the highest 36 months base pay divided by 36.
Multiplier Percentage: can be either. whichever is higher:
  • Member’s percentage of disability determined by the military service (this is the DoD Disability Percentage). Example: 70%
  • Years of creditable service times 2.5% or 2.0% (2.0% is for previous enrollment in the Blended Retirement System prior to the disability) Example: 12 years active duty x 2.5% = 30% longevity multiplier
Disability Retired Pay:

Average high three base pay x the higher multiplier =
Retired Pay

Note 2: that in both cases the multiplier is limited to 75% by law

This discussion does not include CRDP for which some retirees qualify.
===============

Ron

Hello @Alexander2005

This was initially prepared using a different format.

High three: $6,986
DFAS RAS: $5,239 YES, THIS IS 75% OF 6986

My active duty time: 17 years and 9 months, 14 days HOPEFULLY, THAT IS THE SAME DATA THAT IS SHOWN ON PAGE ONE OF YOUR RETIREMENT ORDERS AS "DISABILITY RETIREMENT" 17.75 ACTIVE DUTY EQUIVALENT X 2.5% = 44.38% longevity multiplier. 6986 x 44.38% = 3100.39 LONGEVITY PORTION OF RETIREMENT PAY. THE COMBINATION OF RESIDUAL RETIREMENT PAY AND CRSC CANNOT EXCEED THIS AMOUNT.

VA compensation: RETIREMENT PAY 5239 MINUS 3666.94 = 1572.06 residual retired pay

3100.39 longevity retirement minus residual retirement pay 1572.06 = 1528.33 maximum CRSC using one of the ceilings
70% CRSC: 1,757.06 + 70 = 1827.06

CRSC @70% = 1827.06 using new tables
Maximum combined amount 3100.39 longevity portion of retirement pay minus 1572.06 residual retired pay = 1528.33 max CRSC
VA will pay the VA comp.
DFAS will pay:

Residual retired pay 1572.06 plus 1528.33 CRSC = 3100.39 LONGEVITY PORTION OF RETIREMENT PAY (two separate payments)

I did not check the figures you used except for the high three. I used the new VA tables for my computations and did not include SMC-K in the computation.

This is a rough estimate. You max out without having 100%.

Please return once you begin receiving payments and let us know how this turned out.

Ron
Hey Ron, thanks for the info!

Update and questions:

UPDATE:
- I received my VA rating decision, and the amount has been reflected on my RAS (screen shots attached).
- I am now applying for CRSC, should have the package done next week. Attorney and I are putting together a comprehensive package with evidence and enclosures to max out CRSC entitlement.

Overall calculations: (what I understand)
HIGH3@75% $5,239.00 (gross pay RAS)
VA: (-) $3,985.96 (current RAS)
RESIDUAL: $1,253.04 (current RAS)
CRSC: $1,847.35 *
TOTAL: $7,086.35 **

* Based on the CRSC calculation ceiling of $3,100.39 and the fact that residual retirement and CRSC can not be more than this amount.
** VA + Residual + CRSC = total realized compensation benefits monthly. All tax free?

QUESTIONS:
- How do those calculations and my understanding look?
- With my case, wouldn’t all compensation by tax free?- VA, Residual, and CRSC?
- Based off the CRSC calculations you did, and my understanding, I do need to get more than 70% CRSC to max out CRSC to the ceiling of $3,100.39, now that the VA comp is higher than proposed, and therefore there is a larger gap between residual and the ceiling for CRSC to cover. So… it is good to work with lawyer and try and max CRSC!? I know it’s close, looks like 70% CRSC would be right at $20 short of covering the gap between residual and CRSC ceiling of $3,100.39 - that’s if I understand all this… big if!?

CRDP and CRSC
- Am I eligible for CRDP? I read on DFAS site members can be eligible for both, but have to choose one or the other. DFAS automatically calculates and applies CRDP, and eligible service members have to apply through their branch of service for CRSC, which is what I am doing now. I do not think I am eligible for CRDP because did not do 20 years, but I am not sure with a disability retirement?
- If I am eligible for both, which is more beneficial for my specific case?

OTHER:
- Am I missing anything?
- Are there any other things I should be doing or applying for with regards to disability, pay, or compensation?

HOLY COW!

Thanks very much Ron!

Attachments

• D20BAEDF-E72F-418A-A39C-7AE0E9FCF3AA.jpeg
    D20BAEDF-E72F-418A-A39C-7AE0E9FCF3AA.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 24878BA5-134F-49E5-806E-1E64FC53B327.jpeg
    24878BA5-134F-49E5-806E-1E64FC53B327.jpeg
    250.7 KB · Views: 27
Hello,

You are not eligible for CRDP. You would need a TERA retirement OR a RESERVE retirement (and meet the age requirement) OR have a REGULAR retirement of 20 years active duty or more.

A higher rate of VA compensation results in a lower amount of residual retirement pay.

Taxes: See "Is it taxable" <---LINK

You are correct in that the combination of CRSC and residual retired pay cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay.

Opinion: I did not re-work the computation, but if this is your current scenario "So… it is good to work with lawyer and try and max CRSC!? I know it’s close, looks like 70% CRSC would be right at $20 short of covering the gap between residual and CRSC ceiling of $3,100.39 "
I would not expend the effort of trying to find $20 more in CRSC, nor use an attorney to assist in the matter. I have been paid CRSC almost since its advent and my ratings over the years for CRSC were: 10%, 20%, 50%, 70%, 90%, and 100%. I never used an attorney.

I suppose that many would disagree; however, that is my opinion. I was surprised to see that issue ($20) was a consideration at this point since most CH 61 retirees do not come close to having a combination that equals the longevity portion. I wish you good luck if you continue to pursue the matter.

Ron

Thanks on tax link!

On OPINION: I used a private military disability/ IDES attorney, instead of using an appointed IDES attorney. It was a one time upfront fee in the beginning, that covered legal counsel and fillings through the entire MED board and PEB process, and he stays with you through appeals, and filing for CRSC and any appeals. So it is included in what was already paid. So going with it! Best money I’ve spent in helping navigate all this, and the guy has been doing it for close to 30 years.

I appreciate all the help, advice, and resources Ron. With everything going on and dealing with some real medical and physical issues; I feel blessed in all this.

I will post again once I get all things finalized, and let y’all know how it shakes out.

Thanks.

Hello,

You are not eligible for CRDP. You would need a TERA retirement OR a RESERVE retirement (and meet the age requirement) OR have a REGULAR retirement of 20 years active duty or more.

A higher rate of VA compensation results in a lower amount of residual retirement pay.

Taxes: See "Is it taxable" <---LINK

You are correct in that the combination of CRSC and residual retired pay cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay.

Opinion: I did not re-work the computation, but if this is your current scenario "So… it is good to work with lawyer and try and max CRSC!? I know it’s close, looks like 70% CRSC would be right at $20 short of covering the gap between residual and CRSC ceiling of $3,100.39 "
I would not expend the effort of trying to find $20 more in CRSC, nor use an attorney to assist in the matter. I have been paid CRSC almost since its advent and my ratings over the years for CRSC were: 10%, 20%, 50%, 70%, 90%, and 100%. I never used an attorney.

I suppose that many would disagree; however, that is my opinion. I was surprised to see that issue ($20) was a consideration at this point since most CH 61 retirees do not come close to having a combination that equals the longevity portion. I wish you good luck if you continue to pursue the matter.

Ron
What does residual mean? TIA

What does residual mean? TIA
Residual is used on this board in the context of the amount of retired pay remaining after the retired pay is reduced by the amount of the VA compensation.

Ron

Ron
Did you get my message?
Yes, it is blocked for replies.

It is my understanding that DFAS has already computed CRSC vs . CRDP and you are selecting CRSC because of the tax advantage.

I don’t compute taxes. If the difference is about $50 less for CRSC, you still likely will have more net pay by selecting nontaxable CRSC.

Good luck,
Ron

Yes, it is blocked for replies.

It is my understanding that DFAS has already computed CRSC vs . CRDP and you are selecting CRSC because of the tax advantage.

I don’t compute taxes. If the difference is about $50 less for CRSC, you still likely will have more net pay by selecting nontaxable CRSC.

Good luck,
Ron
Ok. I thanks. If my paperwork goes through for 100% CRSC would that change anything

Ok. I thanks. If my paperwork goes through for 100% CRSC would that change anything
Hello,

Based on the info you provided…

That should result in the CRSC being the same gross amount as CRDP.

Ron