CRSC, DA199, 20 year Letter, 100 Percent

cssamo

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Greetings,

DA199: V1/V3-Yes.
THE BOARD FINDS THE SOLDIER IS PHYSICALLY UNFIT AND RECOMMENDS A RATING OF 100% AND THAT THE SOLDIERS DISPOSITION BE PERMANENT DISABILITY RETIREMENT.
Signed by the Presiding officer of the PEB, PEBLO, and Myself. I have sent it back to PEBLO, and he is sending it to signed by USAPDA commander, and the Secretary of the Army.

My VA is 100% Permanent

I am National Guard. I have my 20 year letter. I have 3972 points.
I have 19 years as a federal technician. (includes Active Duty Marine time and Deployments)

I have tried using the calculators, but I am dumb.
Can you assist me in how to find out how much I will make?

Thanks Scout.
My dependents are now over 18 years old.
Just me and my wife.
I'm an E7.
I don't know about a CRSC%. How would I find that out? After I apply for CRSC?

Yes. Each condition is considered independently for the combat related determination and then they apply the same %s and rules as the VA to come up with the overall combat related %. You can guess at it to come up with a ballpark.

Source is FMR volume 7B, chapter 63.
When you consider a scenario you look at 3 calculations. The lowest calculation is the amount received. I ordered the calculations backwards because its easier to see what is the limiting factor that way, IMO.

You will be receiving $242.1 each month from DFAS due to your disability retirement being higher than the VA compensation, regardless.

Calculation 3: Max pay if retired for length of service. Base pay x years of service x 2.5%. As a reservist this is calculated using 10 USC 12733, which should be points / 360, so 11.03 in your case. As an E-7 with over 20, we'll put high 3 at 4,4415.40, likely it will be slightly different, but that's close. 4415.4 x 11.03 x 2.5 = 1217.54, which is then reduced by the amount they already owe you, so 1217.54 - 242.1 = $975.44. Note, this should be the same amount as CRDP for you, the difference is CRSC is tax free.
Calculation 2: Amount retired pay is reduced by VA pay. Should not be a limiting factor in your case, as the VA should be compensating you at ~3000, so this will always reduce retired pay fully unless you do something strange like elect not to get VA pay.
Calculation 1: VA pay for combat related disabilities. This includes dependents, etc. This is where them deciding which conditions are combat related matters. If they rate the combat related stuff at 60%, calculation 3 will be the limiting factor, if they rate at 50% or below, it becomes a question of if the lower CRSC payment is worth it due to being tax free. At the 50% rate it is $917.13 with spouse only. Moot point until you reach 60.

One caveat on the Reserve Retirement. You will get 90 days credit towards your retirement age for every 90 days that youserved after the NDAA 0f 2008

As with most of these regulations you have to really read it to understand the interpretation.

In a nutshell, for every 90 days (Quarter) that you served during a FISCAL year after Jan. 24, 2008, you can get 90 days of credited service.

I'll use my own case as an example:

I was on Orders from Nov. 28, 2007 to May 7, 2014.

For the period of Jan 29, 2008 to Sep 30 2008 I get two 90 day periods credited.
Oct 1, 2008 to Sep 30, 2009 I get four 90 day periods credited
Same for 2009-2010, 2010-2011, 2011-2012, 2012-2013
Then in 2004 I get one 90 day period credited for Jan 1, 2014, to May 7, 2014.

Total is 23 90 day periods, which means I can collect my retirement at age 55 instead of 60.

Here are the details: https://www.hrc.army.mil/TAGD/REDUCED AGE RETIREMENT

Last edited:
Thanks GSFowler, but I don't think I will be getting any of that. I get 100 percent on the VA and will be 100 percent on the DOD.. But I believe in my calculations, that I will only get CRSC if it is approved. I only had 4000 points, and a little over 20 years as an E7.

DOD is capped at 75% so you will get the 75% of your TOP3, however it will be offset by your C&P of just over $3000.

Hopefully you qualify for CSRC and you get as much of your medical retirement restored as possible.

If you have your 20Y letter, you have earned you reserve retirement. It can be collected when you are eligible (instead of CRSC). If found eligible for CRSC, it may be more adventageous to collect that.

Received Retirement orders today.
Indeed, congratulations; enjoy! :)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

All this information is clear as mud to me right now.
Thank to you guys, it seems a little bit clearer.
I have a question.
My wife will be my beneficiary.
I will get 3000 a month from the VA. I didn't make enough on the DOD side to get any retirement from them.
However, I will (maybe) get CRSC.

Will they bill me for the Beneficiary money or will they take it out of my CRSC pay? or will they take it out of my VA payments?

thank you..

If you are talking about survivor benefits plan, I cannot answer if they will be taking it out of CRSC, but I know it will not come out of the VA C&P.

In my opinion SBP is not that great of a deal, they want quite a bit of $$ (it is an annutiy paid if you die before you spouse does).

My wife and I elected to cancel it the first month after DFAS added it, elected for more life insurance instead.

Additionally, your SGLI will automatically be extended at no cost for two years after you are medically retired with a 100% combined VA rating. After the two years, you can purchase VGLI.

If you have your 20Y letter, you have earned you reserve retirement. It can be collected when you are eligible (instead of CRSC).
Are you talking about CRDP? Otherwise, it sounds like you are suggesting that with a Chapter 61 retirement you can later get a length of service retirement. That is not the case.

Yes, CRDP

Public Law 108-136, the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2004, authorized a provision to restore the retired pay currently deducted from retirees' accounts due to the receipt of Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) disability compensation. Concurrent Retirement & Disability Pay (CRDP) is the gradual (phased in) restoration of the retired pay currently being offset by VA disability pay. Under the current law, retirees who are entitled to CRDP will receive both full military retired pay and full VA disability pay with no reduction (i.e., concurrent receipt) by 2014.

Okay, good, I was hoping that is what you were referring to. Every so often, people think reservists can apply for length of service retirement at age 60 (or when they are otherwise qualified) and get that IN ADDITION to their Chapter 61 medical retirement. (CRDP is a concurrent receipt program, but, you are not "retired" by virtue of that- you have a restoration of offset retirement pay).

I think the confusion can come, too, from the last section of your post. The retired pay referenced is the disability retired pay, not whatever amount a reservist would receive as a result of a length of service retirement calculated based on their retirement points.

Additionally, your SGLI will automatically be extended at no cost for two years after you are medically retired with a 100% combined VA rating. After the two years, you can purchase VGLI.
For clarification of SGLI Disability Extension Life Insurance, the following information is extracted from the U.S.DoVA website:

"If you are totally disabled at the time of separation (unable to work), you can apply for the SGLI Disability Extension, which provides free coverage for up to two years from the date of separation. While you do not need to apply for SGLI coverage, an extension of SGLI due to total disability is not automatic. You must apply to the Office of Servicemembers' Group Life Insurance (OSGLI) for the extension. At the end of the extension period, you automatically become eligible for VGLI, subject to premium payments."

As such in my particular situation, from submittal of the SGLI Disability Extension (SGLV 8715) until receipt of the notification letter for approval of SGLI Disability Extension coverage was a total of 20 calendar days; a good deal for processing duration time! :)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

I faxed mine in and the extension was literally approved immediately, the icing on the cake was that I did not know about the extension, so I applied for VGLI. VGLI refunded my premium paid as well.

I am also 100% P&T from VA and DOD. National guard E-8 with 23 years and a 20 year letter.

I got approved 100% for CRSC and they are giving me $590 a month for CRSC. I know every case is different but that should give you a target

Thank You Wiko. I am an E7, with 20 years. If mine is approved, I think it will be about 1200 a month.. I was active duty in the Marines for six years, plus a couple of deployments. So my active duty time added up to be a little over 11 years.

Have a great weekend, and an awesome Veterans Day.