CRSC Denied please help!

N.meisner

Registered Member
Hello everybody,

I have been reading many posts on here for months and thought I literally had everything figured out. I logged into HRC tonight to see if there was any update and I was pleased to see the CRSC application was uploaded.... fast forward a few minutes I realized I got denied. This is basically what it states, "While your claim contained your PEB proceedings, it did not include any supporting documentation to verify combat exposure or any other CRSC qualifying criteria. Therefore our office is unable to award the conditions requested within your application... after a thorough review of your provided documentation and available military records, I was unable to find any substantiating evidence (medical records, DD 214 entries, signed LODs, award or otherwise) linking the cause of your conditions to the qualifications for CRSC entitlement."
So here is my question, I am 100% permanent and total through the VA and 80% permanent through the Army. My DA form 199 literally states ," soldier continues to suffer from symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder from a deployment to Iraq and directly related to an instrumentality of war." Was this not enough? My ERB shows my deployment dates and my awards. Do I literally need to get my 5+ years of seeing the Army psychiatrists and exactly what they say since my first deployment? I have already submitted over 150 pages of all of my peb and meb findings, reviews, and ratings. I do not have a cab or a purple heart, because I was not physically injured and did not return fire. I have literally years of diagnosis because I was trying to fight to stay in and still got Med boarded.

If I do need to submit the actual medical records from the multiple doctors I saw and what they said about my conditions where do I get these because it is going to be a stack as tall as a toddler.

Guess I am just pretty upset because I thought that I had it figured out and once they reviewed everything I sent it would be an easy YES from them and it wasn't. I would truly appreciate any help you can offer!

I just helped my husband with submitting his yesterday and this has me worried we didn’t send ‘enough’ information. Can I ask where in HRC you look to see it is there so I can try to follow my husbands for him?

I just helped my husband with submitting his yesterday and this has me worried we didn’t send ‘enough’ information. Can I ask where in HRC you look to see it is there so I can try to follow my husbands for him?
HRC (Army):

Path

1. https://www.hrc.army.mil/

2. "My Records"

3. Login with DS password

4. Click "Reserve/Retiree/Veteran

5. Click "Documents"

6. Click on the CRSC decision you want to view/copy (all should be available)
---

Ron

If I do need to submit the actual medical records from the multiple doctors I saw and what they said about my conditions where do I get these because it is going to be a stack as tall as a toddler.

Guess I am just pretty upset because I thought that I had it figured out and once they reviewed everything I sent it would be an easy YES from them and it wasn't. I would truly appreciate any help you can offer!
In the 1990s, the military services discontinued the practice of filing health records with the personnel record portion at the NPRC. In 1992, the Army began retiring most of its former members' health records to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Over the next six years, the other services followed suit. In 2014, the military services dicontinued the practice of retiring the records to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). In order to determine where a medical record is located, please see the chart below: [also see LINK Veterans' Medical and Health Records ]
ArmyDischarged, retired, or separated from any component10/16/1992 to 12/31/2013Department of VA, Records Management Center
on or after 01/01/2014AMEDD Record Processing Center
NavyDischarged, retired, or separated from any component01/31/1994 to 12/31/2013Department of VA, Records Management Center
on or after 01/01/2014BUMED Navy Medicine Records Activity
Air ForceDischarged, retired, or separated from any component05/01/1994 to 12/31/2013Department of VA, Records Management Center
on or after 01/01/2014AF STR Processing Center
Discharged or retired from Reserves or National Guard06/01/1994 to 12/31/2013Department of VA, Records Management Center
on or after 01/01/2014AF STR Processing Center
Marine CorpsDischarged, retired, or separated from any component05/01/1994 to 12/31/2013Department of VA, Records Management Center
on or after 01/01/2014BUMED Navy Medicine Records Activity
Coast GuardDischarged, retired, or separated from Active Duty - Reservists with 90 days active duty for training04/01/1998 to 09/30/2014Department of VA, Records Management Center

The VA provides information concerning requests for VA medical records at this LINK. <——-

How to Request Information

Please download and print one of the forms listed:

Complete the requested information, sign the form, and mail it or hand carry to the following address:
Washington VA Medical Center
Release of Information Office
50 Irving Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20422

Because forms must contain an original signature, e-mailed forms cannot be accepted.
The Department of Veterans Affairs does not have access to your military records including the DD214. To request these records you must contact the National Archives. For more information visit: Military Service Records

Ron

LINK.

@N.meisner I'm making an educated guess that you are SC for PTSD under the fear-based criteria outlined under DSM-IV and HRC is wanting to see it proven using DSM-V which requires the more direct stressor (CAB, CIB, CMB, Purple Heart or Valor award) in order to grant. I am not sure I agree with HRC if that is the answer and you will almost certainly need an attorney to prevail here unless you are sophisticated pro se litigant. NVLSP represents vets pro bono have them look over your case as well as universities in your area that provide free legal help for vets many do. Finding out the exact reason will save you time and allow you to form a proper counter argument and instead of just sending in more records.

@N.meisner I'm making an educated guess that you are SC for PTSD under the fear-based criteria outlined under DSM-IV and HRC is wanting to see it proven using DSM-V which requires the more direct stressor (CAB, CIB, CMB, Purple Heart or Valor award) in order to grant. I am not sure I agree with HRC if that is the answer and you will almost certainly need an attorney to prevail here unless you are sophisticated pro se litigant. NVLSP represents vets pro bono have them look over your case as well as universities in your area that provide free legal help for vets many do. Finding out the exact reason will save you time and allow you to form a proper counter argument and instead of just sending in more records.
I guess I'm not sure what you mean by SC. I called CRSC and the guy wasn't much help he just basically read what the letter I stated above. I asked him if I need to provide all of my medical psychiatric records and he said that would help, but the letter I got in the mail specifically states not to send all of my medical records. I don't understand how I can be found 70% permanently disabled from PTSD from the Army themselves and it states for a deployment to Iraq and an instrument of War and it's still in question. Here's a little back information from the deployment. I was Satellite Communications which I'm sure they do not see many from that MOS with the types of disabilities I have, but I was stationed in COB Basra, worked a night shift by myself for the whole year with the only human contact being at shift changes or if I went to the gym/DFAC. Unlike the rest of my battalion that was in Baghdad with a cush deployment we were constantly receiving incoming and idf. Which multiple hit very close to our site, but luckily I was not physically injured. We were attached to 1st ID and basically forgotten about unless the satellite comms went down. I know this is quiet minuscule compared to what many others have went through, but it still effected me. I was fast tracking through the ranks until I came back and went through many different diagnoses from adjustment disorder, agoraphobia, and PTSD. I fought a med board for quiet a long time because I enjoyed the Army. I was a sgt promotable at 4 years and saw myself retiring normally. Then I got into a car wreck in the states and received a massive TBI and I wasn't able to fight the med board any longer. I don't have the cab or purple heart because I did not deserve one, but I do feel that from what I read with CRSC I do qualify.

N.meisner,

SC is “service connected”. The term is generally used for approved VA rated disabilities.

I have no expertise in the other areas concerning your application.

Ron

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by SC. I called CRSC and the guy wasn't much help he just basically read what the letter I stated above. I asked him if I need to provide all of my medical psychiatric records and he said that would help, but the letter I got in the mail specifically states not to send all of my medical records. I don't understand how I can be found 70% permanently disabled from PTSD from the Army themselves and it states for a deployment to Iraq and an instrument of War and it's still in question. Here's a little back information from the deployment. I was Satellite Communications which I'm sure they do not see many from that MOS with the types of disabilities I have, but I was stationed in COB Basra, worked a night shift by myself for the whole year with the only human contact being at shift changes or if I went to the gym/DFAC. Unlike the rest of my battalion that was in Baghdad with a cush deployment we were constantly receiving incoming and idf. Which multiple hit very close to our site, but luckily I was not physically injured. We were attached to 1st ID and basically forgotten about unless the satellite comms went down. I know this is quiet minuscule compared to what many others have went through, but it still effected me. I was fast tracking through the ranks until I came back and went through many different diagnoses from adjustment disorder, agoraphobia, and PTSD. I fought a med board for quiet a long time because I enjoyed the Army. I was a sgt promotable at 4 years and saw myself retiring normally. Then I got into a car wreck in the states and received a massive TBI and I wasn't able to fight the med board any longer. I don't have the cab or purple heart because I did not deserve one, but I do feel that from what I read with CRSC I do qualify.

Just by reading this post, I can probably understand why your CRSC claim was denied.

When applying for CRSC, the claim must be very SPECIFIC and draw a nexus between the QUALIFYING EVENT/ACTION (we were constantly receiving incoming and idf) and the INJURY (assuming it's adjustment disorder, agoraphobia, and PTSD).

I have posted up examples in the past of how to describe the specific event/action, basically it should contain the 5 W's (who, what, when, where an why)

As I read what you wrote above, you have basically stated 100% that they qualifying event (we were constantly receiving incoming and idf), did not affect you and that your car wreck and TBI was that cause for your MEB.

Perhaps your CRSC application read similar?

From your statement above:

Who was involved ~Myself, working a night shift in COB Basra, with very little contact with others
What happened ~Multiple hits close to our site, I sustained no injuries.
When did this happen ~no clue, at there is no specific timeline given
Where did this happen ~also unable to determine, your statement does not specify
Why did this happen ~also unable to determine, there is no specificity to how you sustained behavioral health injuries.

CRSC is often misunderstood. Service connection is not enough to justify CRSC, even if the contention occured downrange. There are many contentions downrange that do not qualify. I would urge VSOs to request Congress rewrite the standards in a manner that is more clear to members.

This portion of your findings is key:

My DA form 199 literally states ," soldier continues to suffer from symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder from a deployment to Iraq and directly related to an instrumentality of war."

Is there any explanation in your NARSUM, your commander's statement, or an LOD investigation that talks about an instrumentality of war being a cause of your disability?

I was hoping to have my medical records by now to be able to provide more information as I've had numerous messages from veterans in the same situation, but have not recieved them yet.