CRSC for MST in combat zone?

cpikes

Registered Member
I am currently going through a MEB and received my 199 for PTSD 70% after a MST the first week BOG in Afghanistan. My assault was from a foreign national soldier. It specifically states on the 199 v1/v3 - No: not a direct result of armed conflict.
I also received a TBI during this event which resulted in migraines where i received a 30% rating.

My PTSD is not only from that event but that is definitely what started it which made all other experiences during the deployment worse. I did receive a CAB i think because our FOB did get hit several times while I was there. Should I fight to get that changed on my 199 or take my chances and apply for CRSC once I am discharged?

SN: I feel as though a sexual assault in a combat zone should be considered hazardous duty, because although I am not being shot at, being raped is a seriously traumatic situation especially in a war zone where all of your fears and senses are heightened.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

No its not combat related in the future I believe it will be or at least come up in a bill in the future, the problem with MST is that most of the groups that focus on these issues are small and private for privacy concerns but that is a problem when lobbying is needed the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Although CAB's can be granted for IDF attacks sometime in about 2008 most command approval authorities stopped approving them for it and wanted to see actual engaging in combat to sign off on them. You would know if you have one or not because you are given orders it should be on your ERB as well. If you feel this is something that needs to happen and want to lobby for it join some of the organizations in my signature block and ask them to support it they are your advocates.

Hello,

See the following collection of CRSC info: A Supplement to CRSC Information <---LINK

It provides examples of combat-related.

I do not think it falls under combat-related, but I have never served on a CRSC board. Just an opinion about its characterization.

Good luck,
Ron

This is a reply I wrote on another board four years ago.

Reference: "I was diagnosed and medically retired for PTSD/MST."--xxxx23

It appears the PTSD is related to MST. http://www.benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/fac ... ed/MST.pdf

The following is from an Army Board for the Correction of Military Records where they upheld the denial of CRSC for a solder who had PTSD caused by MST: "CRSC criteria are specifically for those military retirees who have combat-related disabilities. Incurring disabilities while in a theater of operations is not, in and of itself, sufficient to grant a military retiree CRSC. The military retiree must show that the disability was incurred while engaged in combat, while performing duties simulating combat conditions, or while performing especially hazardous duties."

Note: The ABCMR decision does not set precedent, but it does show how similar cases have been treated. http://boards.law.af.mil/ARMY/BCMR/CY20 ... 005353.txt

Ron

you all are right, from all of this and the research i have done, it seems as if it does not qualify, which i think is total crap, but i digress. I spoke with the meb attorney and he said that my ptsd was granted based off the mst and not other factors, so i could fight to get the verbiage to include other incidents, but that wont guarantee crsc approval either

I think i will work on getting with some agencies to fight for this to be added.

I recommend you get in contact with Senator Gillibrand. She is an advocate for military members with MST. Ask her to add MST to the list of conditions that qualify for CRSC.