CRSC from Air Force for Gulf War Presumptive

Lineman

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello everyone,
I am new to PEB Forum. This is my first post. I served in the Air Force for 9 years (medically retired.) Has anyone here on this forum had any success with getting CRSC for Gulf War Presumptive conditions. I am service connected from the VA for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome 60%, IBS for 30%, Migraine Headaches for 10% and PTSD for 30%. I also have some other service connected ratings that are not directly related to the Gulf War as far as the guidelines for Gulf War presumptive are listed. I can list the rest of my service connection ratings if necessary.

When I returned from the Gulf War in 1991 I had a lot of health issues going. After several years of endless appointments, hospitalizations and tests I was given several diagnosis by Air Force doctors that included CFS, IBS, Mixed Headache Syndrome and a few other things. At this time there were quite a few of us Gulf War vets who were having health issues and were told that there was nothing wrong with us it was in our heads. I fought the fight with the Air Force MEB of trying to stay in and was boarded out because I was unable to deploy with my conditions. Unfortunately the diagnosis that went on my retirement paperwork says I was medically retired for an Undifferentiated Somatoform Disorder. I tried to fight this diagnosis but was uneducated in how the system works I finally gave up, signed the paperwork and moved on with my life. I was done with everything mentally and it was taking a tole on myself and my family. I was medically retired in 1995.

My question is can I file for CRSC with the Air Force for CFS, IBS, Headache Syndrome, and PTSD? Even though the retirement paperwork from the Air Force does not list these diagnosis but I have documentation from the VA confirming these diagnosis? situation might help in getting some advise on what I should do.

Thanks,

Lineman

Sorry for the long post here. I just thought a little history on my situation might help.

Quote Reply

Here are links to the VA’s Gulf War “Presumptive “ Information:

Gulf War Illnesses <—-Link

Gulf War Veterans <—- Link

Anyone can apply for CRSC; however, approval is another matter.

One of the most important elements of a successful CRSC application is the documentation in your VA files, especially if you have (VA) approval for service-connection of the disability for compensation.

I generally do not forecast or predict whether a certain application will be approved. Agent Orange-Related disabilities for Vietnam veterans is the only exception.

Good luck,
Ron

Thanks Ron for the reply,

I do have VA documentation from the Air Force doctors in my medical records and VA approved ratings for service connection for Gulf War Related disabilities. I just wasn't sure if I could file for CRSC because the Air Force Form 396 from the PEB and my MEB report are both listing my reason for being medically retired as a Undifferentiated Somatoform Disorder and not what the diagnosis of the VA gave me where they changed the Somatoform Disorder to PTSD/Major Depressive Disorder along with CFS, IBS, and Migraine Headaches.

I know the application for CRSC appears straight forward and tells what should be and shouldn't be submitted with the application. If I have documentation for each diagnosis how should I put it together? It all ties together but it is quite lengthy and I don't want to turn in an application that is too long. I do not want them to disregard anything important because the file is too big. What are your thoughts?

Thanks

The following is a brief explanation of the association between VA compensation and CRSC for CH 61 retirees.

1. The retired pay is reduced by the amount of VA compensation received.

2. The purpose of CRSC is to replace some or all of the waived (offset) retired pay associated with combat.

3. CRSC boards will approve a percentage of the VA offset (waiver or reduction) that they determine to be combat related. In other words, the basis for the CRSC is specifically related to all or part of the VA compensation for combat -related disabilities that caused the reduction of retired pay.

4. Example:
Retiree has 3 service connected disabilities: 60% for no. 1; 20% for no. 2, and 10% for no.3. He also has two other disabilities not approved as service connected by the VA.

Disabilities numbered 2 and 3 are not considered combat related by the VA. Disability no. 1 was associated with a gunshot wound in Vietnam.

Only disability no. 1 could result in a CRSC approval; the other 2 rated disabilities were determined to not be combat related in accordance with current law.

The other disabilities non-rated would not be considered for CRSC since they do not cause a reduction in Retired Pay (not approved by Va).

5. Bottom line: If a disability is not causing a reduction in Retired Pay, it will not be considered for CRSC. It also must be combat related.

Disabilities that may be considered combat related include injuries incurred as a direct result of:
  • Armed Conflict
  • Hazardous Duty
  • An Instrumentality of War
  • Simulated War

Ron
Edited to add

Re: VA Schedule for Rating Disabilities or VASRD and CRSC
Reference: DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7B, Chapter 63

630502. Other Combat-Related Disabilities
A combat-related disability is a disability with an assigned medical diagnosis code from the VASRD. The Military Departments [Army, Navy/USMC, USAF, USCG] will determine whether a disability is combat-related based on the following criteria:

A. As a direct result of armed conflict,
B. While engaged in hazardous service,
C. In the performance of duty under conditions simulating war, or
D. Through an instrumentality of war.

The Department will record for each disability determined to be combat-related which of the circumstances provided qualifies the disability as combat-related. A determination of combat- relatedness (see section 6306) will be made with respect to each separate disability with an assigned medical diagnosis code from the VASRD. A retiree may have disabilities that are not combat-related. Such disabilities will not be considered in determining eligibility for CRSC or the amount of CRSC payable. An uncorroborated statement in a record that a disability is combat- related will not, by itself, be considered determinative for purposes of meeting the combat-related standards for CRSC prescribed herein. CRSC determinations must be made on the basis of the program criteria.

19 May 2019
RG

Most of my CRSC applications had only one sentence:
“I am applying for CRSC for xxx presumptively caused by exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam 1970-1971”. Other elements of the form were completed too of course.

My applications included:
DD 214
Medical diagnosis
VA awards
and a few other documents

So...I have little to experience in developing CRSC packets.

As mentioned above,
This organization can assist you with your application.

NVLSP LINK <——

Good luck,
Ron

Ron,
I will reach out to the NVLSP for assistance. You're advice is helpful and very appreciated. The support and advice available today for vets is amazing. I wish it was available back in 1995 when I was going through the whole MEB process.

Thanks again,

Lineman

I had a very bad experience with NVLSP in which I waited in idle for well over a year only to find out nothing was done when they accepted my case. Caution is advised. Numerous other complaints of the same posted around PEBFORUM of the same.