CRSC, Maj. M.

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Case.

Thursday, 25 July 2019.

Bottom line up front. You can only win with approved CRSC. It is the only way you will receive some or all of the "lost retired pay".

You mentioned: [start]
I have received my proposed ratings 70% DOD and 100% VA. I met with our local WTC rep today because she is also our CRSC SME and I have to admit I am STILL at a loss. I will receive $5,593 from DOD while on TDRL. Since it is coded V1/V3 it will not be taxed which I was not aware of. While I appreciated the rep meeting with me she could not provide any additional information as far as what I would need to submit with my packet and if the payment would be beneficial if accepted. My specific events took place in 2008 so finding someone to write a statement that was in my chain of command would be difficult and to be honest I’m at a loss why they would believe them and not me??
The only award I have from the deployment is a bronze star which I’m not sure would help either.
I would like to apply but I need to be 110% sure I am submitting correct information. Additionally because of the nature of the issue I honestly want to be 110% sure I need a statement before I attempt to contact anyone that might be able to help me in providing one.[end]

1. If your retired pay is $5593 (or any other amount), it will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation received.
EXAMPLE: Retired pay 5600 and 3000 VA compensation results in 5600-3000 = $2000 Residual retired pay each month disbursed.
You will not receive the full amount of retired pay you cited, in fact many Chapter 61 retirees receive zero residual retired pay.

2. Approved CRSC replaces some or all of the waived/offset retired pay, not to exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay.

3. I advised you in April of the following:
As a CH 61 retiree, your retired pay will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation received. This is the waiver and VA Compensation cannot be received without the reduction/waiver.

You might have residual retired pay after the waiver. The combination was of residual retired pay plus CRSC cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retirement pay. In other words, residual retired pay reduces CRSC.

4. Most of what I know about CRSC applications is at the following resource: Supplement to CRSC Information <——LINK. Use the red download button.

5. Whether you use a letter from someone else is up to you of course. In my opinion, most applications do NOT include such a letter. My application (and reconsiderations upon VA increases) did not include a letter.

6. The worst that can happen with a CRSC application is denial.

7. The best that can happen is with an approved CRSC application, some or all of your waived retired pay will be replaced (i.e., given back).

Ron
---------------------------
Ron Replied:
I should have included that...

As a CH 61 retiree who does not qualify for another type retirement (e.g., 20 year regular), your CRSC plus residual retirement pay
cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay. Often, retirees with a large residual amount receive little if any CRSC.

Using the following from item one in the preceding message:
EXAMPLE: Retired pay 5600 and 3000 VA compensation results in 5600-3000 = $2000 Residual retired pay each month disbursed.
The maximum CRSC in this case would be $2000 + CRSC not to exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay.

Other limitations:
CRSC cannot exceed the amount of waived retired pay.
CRSC cannot exceed the dollar amount of the CRSC approved percentage. The amounts for the percentage are found in the VA compensation tables.

Ron
--------------------------------------------

Maj. M Replied:
Ok - it took me a little while but I THINK I’m tracking:

High 3 avg = 7990.50
70% DOD
7990.50 x .70 = 5,593.35
They calculated my longevity for me in my paperwork:
17.1 x 2.5% = 42.5%
Longevity = 3,414.60
VA pay would be 3,521.79
5,593.35 - 3521.79 = 2071.56
Residual = 2071.56
2071.56 + CRSC can’t exceed 3,412.60

---------------------------------

Ron Replied:
Yes, very good.

Longevity = 3,414.60 --then you show 2071.56 + CRSC ...can’t exceed 3,412.60 (typing error I suspect)

I did not re-compute your info; it appears to be accurate.

If your approved CRSC percentage is less than the longevity; that becomes the ceiling. I do not envision that happening.

Excellent job on your part.

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">