CRSC Payment Caculation

Hen82

Registered Member
Hello, I medically retired with the rank of SGT as of Jan. 2019 with 11yrs and 10 months of service. I received my CRSC approval letter a few days ago effective Feb. 2019. CRSC is 100%. DOD is 100% and VA is 100% with SMC which amounts to $3,592. SMC isn't approved for CRSC. I'm married with no children. I'm wondering how much will my CRSC monthly payment will be. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hello, I medically retired with the rank of SGT as of Jan. 2019 with 11yrs and 10 months of service. I received my CRSC approval letter a few days ago effective Feb. 2019. CRSC is 100%. DOD is 100% and VA is 100% with SMC which amounts to $3,592. SMC isn't approved for CRSC. I'm married with no children. I'm wondering how much will my CRSC monthly payment will be. Any help is greatly appreciated.
The information associated with all of the five numbered items below is needed. Incomplete answers will preclude an accurate estimate. Each numbered item below is a factor in the CRSC calculation.

1. High three base pay average for retirement or your current DoD disability retirement gross found on page one of the DFAS RAS. Please indicate whether you are providing the high three average or the retirement gross found on the DFAS RAS. The high-36 method is the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay divided by 36. This is generally the last 3 years of service and is sometimes called high-3. EXAMPLE: High three average $3333 (or alternative: Gross Retired Pay on DFAS RAS $xxxx.xx)

2. DoD disability retirement percentage. EXAMPLE: 50% DoD

3. Years and months of active duty EXAMPLE: 11 years and 3 months
Note: The creditable years of service (active duty equivalent) for a reserve calculation is determined by the sum of accumulated reserve points divided by 360.

4. VA compensation:
-- percentage
and
--amount
plus
--identify dependents by category and number EXAMPLE: 60% VA Compensation, $1600, Spouse and 6 children under 18
and
---Any SMCs awarded and amount(s)

5. Approved or expected combat related disability percentage (application was required). EXAMPLE: 70% CRSC

Provide ALL the info above.

Ron

DOD retirement percentage is 75% since I have less than 20 yrs of service that amounts to $2,456. My three yr high average is about $2,700. I have 11yrs 10 months of service (4 Active Duty years). VA compensation is 100% with spouse along with SMC is $3,592. Approved CRSC 100%

DOD retirement percentage is 75% since I have less than 20 yrs of service that amounts to $2,456. My three yr high average is about $2,700. I have 11yrs 10 months of service (4 Active Duty years). VA compensation is 100% with spouse along with SMC is $3,592. Approved CRSC 100%
1. gross retired pay 2456/0.75 = 3274.66 high three. Note: your statement is unclear; you stated your retired pay is 2456 and then show 2700 as high three, I used the 2456 as gross retired pay.

2. Gross retired pay is reduced in full by VA comp >3000

3. 4 years AD years x 0.025 = 10% multiplier Note: As a reservist, your AD equivalent would be total points divided by 360.

4. Assumed high three 3274.66 x 10% = 327.47 dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay AND CRSC

If I have misinterpreted your info, please let me know by providing all the info I requested earlier in the format furnished.

Regards,
Ron

Reference: Disability Retirement <---LINK

Disability retirement is sometimes called Chapter 61 retirement, since the law governing such a retirement is in Chapter 61 of title 10 United States Code. Members who have been determined to be unfit for duty with a disability rated by the military Service as 30% or greater are eligible for disability retirement. A member whose condition is not stable may be placed on the temporary disability retired list (TDRL) for up to five years at which point they must be either discharged, retired or returned to duty. Members whose condition has stabilized at a disability rating of 30% or higher may be placed on the permanent disability retired list (PDRL).

The basic retirement formula is:

Retired Pay Base X Multiplier %

The retired pay base for a qualified disability retirement is determined under either the final pay method or the high-36 month method depending upon when they first entered military service. See Retirement tab for details.

The multiplier percentage is at the option of the member who may chose either the percentage of disability assigned or the years of creditable service times 2½%. In either case, the multiplier is limited to 75% by law.

In the case of a member on the TDRL, the minimum percentage is 50% while on the TDRL.

Years of Service
The years of creditable service for computation of the retired pay percentage multiplier include all active duty and all credited reserve points divided by 360.

[The same would apply to the computation of the longevity portion of retired pay for CRSC purposes.]

Ron

Edited to add, from another source:

Reserves: Computation of Retired Pay (non-disability or longevity portion of disability retired pay)
To determine how much retired pay you may be eligible to receive, the first step is to calculate the number of equivalent years of service. The formula for computing equivalent years of service for Reserve retired pay at age 60 is fairly simple:

Total number of Creditable Retirement Points, divided by 360.

The formula computes the number of equivalent years of service the soldier has completed (comparable to full-time service). For example, 3,600 points equals 10 years.

Military Personnel will notify the Defense Finance & Accounting Service – Cleveland Center (DFAS-CL) of the number of years service you’ve earned.

Last edited:
1. gross retired pay 2456/0.75 = 3274.66 high three. Note: your statement is unclear; you stated your retired pay is 2456 and then show 2700 as high three, I used the 2456 as gross retired pay.

2. Gross retired pay is reduced in full by VA comp >3000

3. 4 years AD years x 0.025 = 10% multiplier Note: As a reservist, your AD equivalent would be total points divided by 360.

4. Assumed high three 3274.66 x 10% = 327.47 dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay AND CRSC

If I have misinterpreted your info, please let me know by providing all the info I requested earlier in the format furnished.

Regards,
Ron
Hello Ron, I have more clarification on my CRSC. I have 2,431 total retirement points which = 6.752 years of Active Duty service as medical retired reservist. My retired pay (DOD) 100% waived is actually $2,366 according to DFAS. CRSC approved 100%
VA 100% = $3,227.58. E5 w/spouse no children. Please help with updated caculations, thanks.

Hen82,

Thank you for correcting your previous furnished information.

New: "I have more clarification on my CRSC. I have 2,431 total retirement points which = 6.752 years of Active Duty service as medical retired reservist. My retired pay (DOD) 100% waived is actually $2,366 according to DFAS. CRSC approved 100%
VA 100% = $3,227.58. E5 w/spouse no children. Please help with updated calculations, thanks."

1. gross retired pay 2366/0.75 = 3154.67 high three.

2. Gross retired pay is reduced in full by VA comp 3227.58

3. 6.752 years AD equivalent x 0.025 = 16.88% multiplier

4. High three 3154.67 x 16.88% = 532.51 dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay AND CRSC

The dollar amount of the longevity portion of your retired pay is the ceiling in your case as a CH 61 retiree with <20 years. If 100% approved CRSC was the lesser amount, it would be your CRSC.

Ron

Hen82,

Thank you for correcting your previous furnished information.

New: "I have more clarification on my CRSC. I have 2,431 total retirement points which = 6.752 years of Active Duty service as medical retired reservist. My retired pay (DOD) 100% waived is actually $2,366 according to DFAS. CRSC approved 100%
VA 100% = $3,227.58. E5 w/spouse no children. Please help with updated calculations, thanks."

1. gross retired pay 2366/0.75 = 3154.67 high three.

2. Gross retired pay is reduced in full by VA comp 3227.58

3. 6.752 years AD equivalent x 0.025 = 16.88% multiplier

4. High three 3154.67 x 16.88% = 532.51 dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay AND CRSC

The dollar amount of the longevity portion of your retired pay is the ceiling in your case as a CH 61 retiree with <20 years. If 100% approved CRSC was the lesser amount, it would be your CRSC.

Ron
Thanks Ron.

Hi Ron, could help us figure out how much my hubby would get if approved CRSC, he is medically retired...

DFAS RAS = 1450 (calculated high 3 at $2684)
AD = 9 years and 8months
DOD disability = 50%
VA disability = 70%, T&P IU at 100% pay $3227.68 (70% PTSD ONLY) wife no kids
Rank E5

Thank you!

Hi Ron, could help us figure out how much my hubby would get if approved CRSC, he is medically retired...

DFAS RAS = 1450 (calculated high 3 at $2684)
AD = 9 years and 8months
DOD disability = 50%
VA disability = 70%, T&P IU at 100% pay $3227.68 (70% PTSD ONLY) wife no kids
Rank E5
Thank you!
Hello,

Some things are missing.

—1450 is not 50% of 2684. If 1450 is the gross on DFAS RAS, then 1450/0.50 = 2900 high three, not 2684.

—Need projected CRSC percentage and other info.

The information associated with all of the six numbered items below is needed. Incomplete answers will preclude an accurate estimate. Each numbered item below is a factor in the CRSC calculation.

1. High three base pay average for retirement or your current DoD disability retirement gross found on page one of the DFAS RAS. Please indicate whether you are providing the high three average or the retirement gross found on the DFAS RAS. The high-36 method is the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay divided by 36. This is generally the last 3 years of service and is sometimes called high-3. EXAMPLE: High three average $3333 (or alternative: Gross Retired Pay on DFAS RAS $xxxx.xx)

2. DoD disability retirement percentage. EXAMPLE: 50% DoD

3. Years and months of active duty EXAMPLE: 11 years and 3 months
Note: The creditable years of service (active duty equivalent) for a reserve calculation is determined by the sum of accumulated reserve points divided by 360.

4. VA compensation:
-- percentage
and
--amount
plus
--identify dependents by category and number EXAMPLE: 60% VA Compensation, $1600, Spouse and 6 children under 18
and
---Any SMCs awarded and amount(s)

5. Approved or expected combat related disability percentage (application was required). EXAMPLE: 70% CRSC

6. Do you qualify for another type retirement besides CH 61 disability? Example: Yes, REDUX

Ron

1. Gross retire pay on DFAS $1450
2. DOD 50%
3. 9 years 8 months
4. 70% VA compensation, $3227.58, Spouse
5. Expected CRSC 70%
6. No

Sorry, was confused. Hoped I answered all. Thank you.

Alles ist gut.

It is confusing...

1. Gross retire pay on DFAS $1450 = 2900 high three (1450/0.50)
2. DOD 50%
3. 9 years 8 months = 9.67 yrs x 0.025 = 24.18% multiplier
2900 x 0.2418 = 701.22 longevity portion of retirement pay & CRSC ceiling

4. 70% VA compensation, $3227.58, Spouse
5. Expected CRSC 70% = more than ceiling at item three
6. No

CRSC = 701.22

Ron

Thank you!

In your experience, if one is approved for retro, do they go back to the day of medically retired?

Thank you!

In your experience, if one is approved for retro, do they go back to the day of medically retired?
Yes, in most CH 61 cases I have seen.

However, keep in mind CRSC replaces waived retired pay (some or all). No waiver...no CRSC.

I suspect that your spouse’s DoD Retired Pay is currently being reduced (waived) via the amount of VA Compensation.

Ron

Well on his DFAS RAS statement there is VA Waiver and an amount listed, but my next question is, if my husband was getting partial retirement until a year ago when his VA disability was raised, will still have a chance for retro pay?

Well on his DFAS RAS statement there is VA Waiver and an amount listed, but my next question is, if my husband was getting partial retirement until a year ago when his VA disability was raised, will still have a chance for retro pay?
With regard to your new information concerning a disability retiree with less than 20 years AD or equivalent:

If your husband received residual (left over) retired pay during a period where the VA offset was less than it is currently, the combination of CRSC plus residual retired pay cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of the retired pay.

Example using random numbers:

Longevity portion of retired pay = 800
Dollar amount of residual retired pay = 200
CRSC approved at 100% = ~3000

Result:
The first CRSC ceiling is dollar amt of longevity = 800
That amount is reduced by residual retired pat = CRSC 800 - 200 results in 600 CRSC

Amounts paid:
VA= ~3K paid by VA
CRSC = 600 paid by DFAS
residual retired pay = 200 paid by DFAS

The formula shown here which apply to retro CRSC as well.

Recommend you wait for the determinations made by DFAS.

Ron

So i checked the status today and it went from pending DFAS approval to Open staus....in your experience has this happened if you werent approved? or do you know why it would go back to Open status?

Thank you!