CRSC Questions - Change in DoD Ratings

ngkm5

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
First off - just want to say thanks for everyone’s help here on the forum. I found you guys in the early stages of my MEB and it’s been very beneficial . So, thanks everyone.

Couple of questions.

I’m TDRL at 70%DoD and 80%VA. Recently I’ve been awarded 70%CRSC.

I am (thankfully) currently employed but without the current benefits I receive, I’d be tough to make ends meet.

I’m at 13 months of TDRL and I am certain my ratings will change at some point during the 36 month period.

I try not to be negative, but can’t help but think at that point, my DoD will drop at 20% and will loose retirement pay/TRICARE/CRSC pay.

Why do I feel that way?

Other than the feeling of getting screwed is inevitable, but I also fear (what if?) my medical notes will be interpreted that I’m getting better and now stable.

So I did some playing around with the CRSC calculator at DFAS and noted a few things at change:

1- If my DoD only changes, but stays at 30% or above, my pay stays exactly the same due to the CRSC offset at 70%. I’m sure this isn’t a glitch, but if this is accurate - does anyone know the source that explains this in writing?

2- Can my CRSC percent chance? If so, how (and source).

3- My CRSC is at 70%. Did the CRSC board apply my rating by the DoD or VA percentages? (PTSD 70%DoD & 70% VA)

Thanks for any help.

Combat Related Special Compensation for Chapter 61 (disability) retirees is the lesser of

--a. the dollar amount of the longevity portion of the DoD retired pay

or

--b. the dollar amount of VA compensation for combat related disabilities. (Approved percentage mirrors the rates found in the VA compensation tables.)

Note: Active duty time is used to determine the longevity portion. Reservists can use their total career retired points and divide by 360 to determine the active duty equivalent factor. Additionally, any residual retired pay remaining after the VA offset/waiver will reduce the CRSC computed in accordance with the above.

Added to the the brief summary of CRSC above is the fact that CRSC can never be more than the dollar amount of retired pay waived/offset by the amount of VA compensation received. Consequently, if the dollar amount of your gross retired pay was reduced, that results in the the ceiling for the amount of CRSC maximum to change as well.

The reference for CRSC is http://comptroller.defense.gov/Portals/45/documents/fmr/current/07b/07b_63.pdf

It is an understatement to say that the information at the reference is not easy reading.

CRSC boards use the VA ratings when considering CRSC applications. CRSC is a compensation that can replace some or all of waived retired pay for combat related disabilities (approved as service connected by the VA).

Ron

Ron,

Thanks.
And yeah - that isn’t an easy read.

Addendum to my previous post above.

The CRSC percentage approved by one's service, 70% for example, is not 70% of the DoD retired pay OR 70% of the VA offset amount. It is the 70% rate (with applicable number and category of dependents) found in the VA compensation tables. In other words, it not a percentage of some unknown number--it is an established rate/amount in the published VA compensation tables.

Many CH 61 retirees receive the dollar amount of the longevity portion of their disability retired pay as CRSC in accordance with the lesser of the following:
--a. the dollar amount of the longevity portion of the DoD retired pay
or
--b. the dollar amount of VA compensation for combat related disabilities. (Approved percentage mirrors the rates found in the VA compensation tables.)
(See my preceding post for more info.)

Ron

When I first applied for CRSC, I was denied BUT also approved at the same time for tinnitus (note - I did NOT apply for, or provide any information referencing my tinnitus) at 10%.

My award letter stated:

PTSD CRSC: 0%
Tinnitus CRSC: 10%

My VA disablity for tinnitus is at 10%. I assumed the amount awarded for CRSC was applied based on that.

Yes, I suspect the 10% CRSC rate (which mirrors the rates in the VA compensation tables) was less than the dollar amount of the longevity portion of your retired pay. That would result in a payment of $136.24.

Ron

So I just completed my first TDRL re-evaluation via Navy @ Pensacola.

The check-in/appointment/check-out process went a lot smoother than I anticipated. I believe the entire process was ~3hrs and I’m happy that’s its owner with.
I do however believe I will remain TDRL for at least another re-evaluation.

I’m still totally lost at CRSC ratings.

Example:
If my DoD rate changes from 70% (PTSD) to 30% - does my CRSC rating then also change to that 30% as well?

DoD - 70%
VA - 80%
CRSC 1 - 10% (bilateral Tinnitus)
CRSC 2 - 70% (PTSD)
CRSC total combined ating - 70%

I keep playing with the numbers utilizing the calculator on DFAS website to play out every scenario if my DoD and CRSC ratings change. I’m just now sure if my DoD changes, does the CRSC rating change to reflect that same number.

Sorry if this had been explained here or on another previous post.
I should be getting something in the mail detailing the outcome from my visit within 6-8 weeks. I’m just super worried

This will be brief since i am using my phone.
CRSC replaces waived retired pay (some or all).

If one's retired pay is decreased the amount of CRSC might decrease. Crsc cannot be more than the waived retired pay.

Also a factor is whether the retiree is receiving at the approved CRSC percentage OR the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay.

There are many possible scenarios.
Ron

Hi i wanted to see if someone could help me? I am having trouble figuring out this whole crsc math? So i was temporary retired in 2013 as an E5 with 50% from Army and 70% from VA. In 2015 i got put from temporary to permanent list from the Army and increase from 50% to 70%. I am currently recieving $306 from crsc. In September 2017 i was re-evaluated by the VA and my 70% turned into 100% alone for ptsd. From what i see on my crsc pay stub on dfas i see that the combat related crsc is at 70%. My retiree pay is around $1,650 and i did 4 years 8 months active duty. My VA rep informed me to re apply for crsc reconsideration since most likely i will get an increase. My question is will i see a major increase if the reconsideration is approved? Since my combat disablity for ptsd went from 70% to 100% with the VA? Any help or advice is greatly approaching. Thank you.

Based on the info that you are receiving $306 CRSC while currently approved for CRSC @ 70% is evidence you are receiving the dollar amount of the longevity portion of your retired pay. That is the ceiling for CH 61 retirees with less than 20 years AD. If my inference is correct, an approval by your service to increase your CRSC percentage will not increase the amount you receive each month.

CRSC for Chapter 61 Retirees with Less than 20 years Active Duty or Equivalent

Combat Related Special Compensation for Chapter 61 (disability) retirees with less than 20 years AD or equivalent is the lesser of

--a. the dollar amount of the longevity portion of the DoD disability retired pay

or

--b. the dollar amount of VA compensation for combat related disabilities (i.e., service approved percentage mirrors the rates found in the VA compensation tables.)

Note: Active duty time is used to determine the longevity portion. Reservists can use their total career retired points and divide by 360 to determine the active duty equivalent factor.

Ron

Banging my head over here.

In 2017 I was Medically discharged with 40% E6 4 yrs active and 13 yrs 8 months reserve time(app 3600 base pay)
CRSC application approved for 80%
VA approved 80% just granted unemployability

Just got an email from Pay personnel center quoting $657 CRSC Monthly? I used the CRSC calculator and it shows 1500?

any help would be appreciated

Banging my head over here.

In 2017 I was Medically discharged with 40% E6 4 yrs active and 13 yrs 8 months reserve time(app 3600 base pay)
CRSC application approved for 80%
VA approved 80% just granted unemployability

Just got an email from Pay personnel center quoting $657 CRSC Monthly? I used the CRSC calculator and it shows 1500?

any help would be appreciated
The $657 is likely the dollar amount of the longevity portion of your retired pay.

Combat Related Special Compensation for Chapter 61 (disability) retirees with less than 20 years AD or equivalent is the lesser of

--a. the dollar amount of the longevity portion of the DoD disability retired pay

or

--b. the dollar amount of VA compensation for combat related disabilities (i.e., service approved percentage mirrors the rates found in the VA compensation tables.)

Note: Active duty time is used to determine the longevity portion. Reservists can use their total career retired points and divide by 360 to determine the active duty equivalent factor.

Ron

So my years of service is around 7. And 7*2.5 = the max amount I can get?
CH 61 retirees with less than 20 years AD receive the lower amount (for CRSC) of...
--a. the dollar amount of the longevity portion of the DoD disability retired pay [this seems to fit your situation]
or
—-
Computation of longevity
Years and months of AD x 2.5 % = multiplier
High three average base pay x multiplier = dollar amount longevity
Example: 5 years and 6 months AD; high three $3000
5.5 yrs x 2.5% = 13.75%
H3 $3000 x 13.75 % = $412.50 longevity portion of retired pay (max CRSC)
Notes: Any Retired Pay left over from VA Offset will reduce the amount of CRSC. CRSC can never exceed the amount of waived retired pay.

Ron