CRSC Questions - Chapter 61, PDRL, VA, NG Retirement Eligible

nwlivewire

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Got THREE scenarios for those knowledgeable about CRSC and who can tell me how or what table is used to calculate the CRSC.

For these THREE scenarios, the following data is used:

Chapter 61, PDRL
Depending on the scenario, the following military/VA rated conditions could apply: 50%, 40%, 30%, & 20%

Military 70% Gross PDRL = 3,479.00

VA 100% P&T - single - no spouse or kids = 2,858.24

NG retirement eligible at age 59 1/2 (20 year letter)

Total Active & Career Reserve/NG time = 12 years 5 months = 31.04% (about 1,500 at retirement age)

SCENARIO ONE

1. What would be the CRSC amount IF CRSC came back at 40%? I am assuming here that only two of my military/VA rated conditions will qualify for CRSC - the 30% and the 20% military/VA rated.

SCENARIO TWO

2. What would be the CRSC amount IF CRSC came back at 70%? I am assuming here that ALL THREE of my military/VA rated conditions will qualify for CRSC - the 40%, 30% & 20% VA rated.

SCENARIO THREE

3. What would be the CRSC amount IF CRSC came back at GREATER than my 70% PDRL? I am assuming I can make a successful connection that I have FOUR military/VA rated conditions that qualify for CRSC - 50%, 40%, 30% and 20%.

If I am missing some data, let me know & I will provide.

Thank-you all you CRSC GURUs for walking me through this and explaining this to me!

Just FYI, I currently have the "off-set" in place, so I am receiving just 620.76 of the military gross pay. So I am wondering, based on these scenarios AND the maximum CRSC limited to my NG retirement, what that CRSC difference might be.

I was reading that even if I did qualify for retro CRSC in 2012, that DFAS is using the CRSC calculation "GLITCH" method for that year as the NEW calculation method did not go into effect until 2013. So I have the understanding that I won't get any retro for 2012.

But I could get retro for 2013 at 97% of CRSC? And that CRSC is now at 100%.

Again, thank-you very much for all your math help and explaining what charts are used - if any - on the dollar figures used for the CRSC percentages.

I am really lost in the sauce on this CRSC deal. And I can't seem to find any DFAS calculator or coherent explanation or walk-through from any official website that deals with this new CRSC calculation.

V/R,
nwlivewire

It appears that Chapter 61 retirees with less than 20 years service, the CRSC rate is reduced by the difference between the difference of the retired pay based on disability and the retired pay based upon years of service.

@nwlivewire From what I understand your CRSC is going to be $1542.69 per month, this is based upon a retired pay base of $4970 calculated from your 70% PDRL amount and your years of service of 12.41667

By law, your CRSC is limited to the smaller of your LOS retirement amount and the amount of VA compensation for combat related conditions

Just a reminder from my experience. You are given an option to select or select out of CRSC each year. They are suppose to send out a letter in Dec which will affect your Feb pay. Having said that, I'm still waiting for the $#%^@)& letter. If I don't select out by this yearly letter and just ignore it, I get to keep receiving CRSC. I was told Friday to type a letter and fax it to them of my decision to opt out, why didn't they tell me this at the beginning of Jan when I first called. Now I have to hope they will get it done next week.

I would go ahead and apply and wait for the selection letter to come explaining how the pay will work for you. There is no obligation at that point until you select your option and mail it back, my understanding. I would not just ignore the selection either way and mail the letter back keeping a copy just encase. Since you are not expecting an increase in your VA, you don't have to worry about something happening as in my case. Keep in mind when your retirement starts so you can think ahead, as if I need to tell you that.

There is a six year statute of limitations for CRSC, have you submitted your DD2860? http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/infomgt/forms/eforms/dd2860.pdf

Dear gsfowler:

I am in the process of making application for CRSC.

According to the official VA math Combined rating table:

A 30, and a 20 is 44 - rounded to 40%
A 40, 30, 20 is 66 - rounded to 70%.
A 50, 40, 30, 20 is 83 - rounded to 80%.

So CRSC (in my case) has a maximum limit, which for me, is what I would receive as my NG retirement pay.

My question now is this: Once the CRSC folks determine which injuries meet CRSC criteria, do they then add up all the approved injury percentages using the VA math rating table?

If they do, do they then determine the CRSC amount based on the VA Compensation Table for their CRSC percentage?

In other words, if the CRSC people
Just a reminder from my experience. You are given an option to select or select out of CRSC each year. They are suppose to send out a letter in Dec which will affect your Feb pay. Having said that, I'm still waiting for the $#%^@)& letter. If I don't select out by this yearly letter and just ignore it, I get to keep receiving CRSC. I was told Friday to type a letter and fax it to them of my decision to opt out, why didn't they tell me this at the beginning of Jan when I first called. Now I have to hope they will get it done next week.

I would go ahead and apply and wait for the selection letter to come explaining how the pay will work for you. There is no obligation at that point until you select your option and mail it back, my understanding. I would not just ignore the selection either way and mail the letter back keeping a copy just encase. Since you are not expecting an increase in your VA, you don't have to worry about something happening as in my case. Keep in mind when your retirement starts so you can think ahead, as if I need to tell you that.

Thank-you all very much for your speedy response.

I will keep you all posted on a timeline once I submit/mail my paperwork.

Thanks for the heads up on the yearly option, too!

V/R,
nwlivewire

Thank-you gsfowler!

Now one more question on this.

I understand that CRSC is limited to a maximum of whatever my NG retirement will be.

So:

Let's use a round figure of 1500 for NG retirement.

Let's say I'm eligible for both CRSC or CRDP. I think I may be eligible for both now as I was never taken off original Mob orders, and so spent time in a WTU and a CB-WTU from AUG 2007 - APR 2012. If that WTU/CB-WTU time is counted toward early retirement time, then because of my age, I would have been eligible for either CRSC or CRDP at time of retirement back in APR 2012.

My question is this:

If CRSC pays at 1200, does the CRDP kick in the additional 300 to make it the full NG retirement figure of 1500?

Or do I have to strictly choose, purely and only one, or the other?

CRSC is non-taxed - CRDP is taxed. For me, I live in a state that would tax my CRDP (Fed tax, too).

V/R,
nwlivewire

@nwlivewire I'm pretty sure a DFAS makes the election for you, whichever is most advantageous.

The CRDP and CRSC are going to be identical for you either way, the only real difference is what your LOS retirement will be in future dollars based upon your reserve retirement at age 60 minus mobilization time (if you are successful in getting that fixed).

With the whopping 1.5% we are getting each year! I do not think it will ever be more advantageous than the CRSC if you are approved.

@nwlivewire I'm pretty sure a DFAS makes the election for you, whichever is most advantageous.

The CRDP and CRSC are going to be identical for you either way, the only real difference is what your LOS retirement will be in future dollars based upon your reserve retirement at age 60 minus mobilization time (if you are successful in getting that fixed).

With the whopping 1.5% we are getting each year! I do not think it will ever be more advantageous than the CRSC if you are approved.

Thank-you again gsfowler!

So DFAS will make the higher determination - either CRSC (limited to max NG retirement) OR CRDP based on the BEFORE-tax Value of the CRDP amount.

That's interesting to know they base their higher decision on the GROSS, PRE-TAX value when comparing two different amounts, when one value is tax-exempt (CRSC) and the other value is fully taxable (CRDP).

*** I wonder why DFAS doesn't let the retiree make that FIRST choice/initial decision award choice to begin with?

Yes. We all rec'd a 1.5% COLA from the Feds. My widow's pension from the State of Washington paid 3.4% COLA in 2013 (JUL 01, 2013) & is projected to do a COLA in 2014 (JUL 01, 2014) somewhere near 2.7%.

This Federal COLA thing seems to be turning into another political football.

I'm just glad this particular State is not as fractious as the Feds and that they base their COLA computations on a more inclusive basket of goods and services that REAL people have to pay for in everyday living.

Thanks again for the heads up. Will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

V/R,
nwlivewire

Out of curiosity, are you doing a ABCMR request to fix the incorrect pay code on your MRP orders?

DFAS does not make the decision for you. They sent me a letter showing both ways and had me make a selection and send it back. Now I am still awaiting the letter to make the decision for this year, because it is done yearly, and they are telling me I may be screwed for next month as well. I have been arguing with them that they should make the decision because sine things changed for me I am now losing a lot of money monthly.

DFAS does not make the decision for you. They sent me a letter showing both ways and had me make a selection and send it back. Now I am still awaiting the letter to make the decision for this year, because it is done yearly, and they are telling me I may be screwed for next month as well. I have been arguing with them that they should make the decision because sine things changed for me I am now losing a lot of money monthly.

Dear Jeep Freak:

Thanks for the clarification on who chooses which program. Nice to know DFAS gives that first, initial choice to the retiree.

Keep us posted how your situation turns out. I'm so sorry to hear of such a financial hit you are having to take on this.

To gsfowler:

I'm going to submit paperwork without ABCMR and see what happens. I could be wrong here, but if CRSC is awarded retro to my PDRL back in APR 2012, then even if I am not properly credited with all my early retirement time for CRDP, I don't think it will matter. That is, however, providing my CRSC is greater than my take-home, after-tax CRDP.

If I'm missing something in my thinking on this, please chime in!

V/R,
nwlivewire

CRSC is the way to go, tax fee is nice. But it would be good to have the fall back for CRDP

CRSC is the way to go, tax fee is nice. But it would be good to have the fall back for CDRP

For sure!

At this point, I'm taking the path of least resistance and drawn-out time constraints.

If I get some kind of screw-ball CRSC result, then I will have to "back up the truck" and go for the ABCMR correction.

And then start this whole CRSC thing all over again!

So I hope the CRSC people can see past the BS error and just roll with the evidence I have and not turn this into a three-year delay.

V/R,
nwlivewire

Does your 199 show injuries were an instrument of war?

No. And therein lies the problem.

I recently found two LODs that apparently the PEBLO did not have at the time of my IDES. In my handwritten statement,
I write that I was injured during MOB lanes training exercise while in full IBA & later that day taken to Ft. Hood ER. At that time, no x-rays were taken, and ER Doc just said I had "sprains" (NOV 2006). 30 days later, I'm in Iraq (DEC 2006).

LODs were done AUG 2007, when I was being transferred to a WTU - approved that same month by Madigan. At end of IDES, PEBLO said they has no record of my LODs as the LOD Dept. at Madigan had moved and they couldn't find records. But I did find them this Summer in my military medical records that came to me from the VA when they sent me their copies of the paper medical records they got from the Army. LODs are for right shoulder, right thumb, right knee.

Another LOD was done and approved by CB-WTU for PTSD. HOWEVER, although I have an email copy of it signed by the CB-WTU CA Commander, SOMEBODY down there either never sent it forward, or, at Madigan they never rendered a decision letter for approval/disapproval. I sent several emails to the CB-WTU Command structure complaining about this. I even sent emails quoting Chapter and Verse about proper disposition of LODs, and nobody did anything down there to either push the older signed copy forward or to re-do it and send it forward. My Nurse Case Manager almost fainted over the phone after she tried so hard to ignore it/me until I said I had a copy of it. She then said I had no right to even have a copy of it. This convo was back in the Fall of 2011 and that LOD had been signed by the CA CB-WTU Commander in SEP 2009!

So my 199 is the older version and the IDES process did not designate ANY of my injuries to be combat/combat related.

With the two LODs that did get through, I rec'd 30% for shoulder, 0% thumb, 10% right knee (Army/VA).
With the one LOD that NEVER went through for PTSD (LOD missing in action), I rec'd 70% from VA only - no Army MH at all.

I have copies of all emails I sent to the 2011 Commander of the CB-WTU, my Platoon Sergeant and my Nurse Case Manager on this PTSD LOD. I also have some email traffic from the original Officer who initiated this PTSD LOD.

So I have all these emails that prove everyone down there knew I had an LOD approved, but NOT ONE OFFICER went to bat to fix this.

NOT ONE!

V/R,
nwlivewire

No. And therein lies the problem.

I recently found two LODs that apparently the PEBLO did not have at the time of my IDES. In my handwritten statement,
I write that I was injured during MOB lanes training exercise while in full IBA & later that day taken to Ft. Hood ER. At that time, no x-rays were taken, and ER Doc just said I had "sprains" (NOV 2006). 30 days later, I'm in Iraq (DEC 2006).

LODs were done AUG 2007, when I was being transferred to a WTU - approved that same month by Madigan. At end of IDES, PEBLO said they has no record of my LODs as the LOD Dept. at Madigan had moved and they couldn't find records. But I did find them this Summer in my military medical records that came to me from the VA when they sent me their copies of the paper medical records they got from the Army. LODs are for right shoulder, right thumb, right knee.

Another LOD was done and approved by CB-WTU for PTSD. HOWEVER, although I have an email copy of it signed by the CB-WTU CA Commander, SOMEBODY down there either never sent it forward, or, at Madigan they never rendered a decision letter for approval/disapproval. I sent several emails to the CB-WTU Command structure complaining about this. I even sent emails quoting Chapter and Verse about proper disposition of LODs, and nobody did anything down there to either push the older signed copy forward or to re-do it and send it forward. My Nurse Case Manager almost fainted over the phone after she tried so hard to ignore it/me until I said I had a copy of it. She then said I had no right to even have a copy of it. This convo was back in the Fall of 2011 and that LOD had been signed by the CA CB-WTU Commander in SEP 2009!

So my 199 is the older version and the IDES process did not designate ANY of my injuries to be combat/combat related.

With the two LODs that did get through, I rec'd 30% for shoulder, 0% thumb, 10% right knee (Army/VA).
With the one LOD that NEVER went through for PTSD (LOD missing in action), I rec'd 70% from VA only - no Army MH at all.

I have copies of all emails I sent to the 2011 Commander of the CB-WTU, my Platoon Sergeant and my Nurse Case Manager on this PTSD LOD. I also have some email traffic from the original Officer who initiated this PTSD LOD.

So I have all these emails that prove everyone down there knew I had an LOD approved, but NOT ONE OFFICER went to bat to fix this.

NOT ONE!

V/R,
nwlivewire

Hmm, I am not surprised at all; look at all of the challenges I am currrently experiencing while in the DoD IDES process! :(

If individuals do exactly what they are getting paid to do and stop the bare minimum performance; sometimes not even that from my experiences unfortunately. But, since it doesn't effect them...apparently they don't care but karma is a "you know what" and it's only a matter of time for them all in my opinion.

To that extent, I am NOT done and my final combat mission is NOT complete for sure! They can't take away the LOS military time in years in which I have earned to date but they would if they could; so the combat battle continues for me.

Nonetheless, please continue to do what you think is right for your particular situation; it's extremely easy to give up but extremely hard continue they fight. Take care! :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Last edited:
I'm looking at my 199 I've already signed it but the more I look at it I still have a few questions. I am absolutely good with my ratings. But one of my ratings has a v3-Yes by it and I have the K-1 code in my VA letter under special monthly compensation-loss of use of a creative organ. My question is however if I'm rated at 100% VA will i receive 100% with spouse and 3 children plus additional monthly compensation? if so how do I figure out how much the disability i'm referring to is rated specifically at 20%