CRSC, starting the process [regular retirement]

Games

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I'm trying to start the process for CRSC. I've faxed off my request for my code sheet and hopefully it won't take too long to received that. I'm not even sure that it will be worth it if I am approved so maybe someone here can help me figure that out.

I retired with 22 years and 4 months, my retirement pay is currently $4,373
I am rated 100% P&T.
I am anticipating that I would get 100% for CRSC, but it could be 90%.
I have a spouse and two kids.

Can anyone help me with this math?

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I'm trying to start the process for CRSC. I've faxed off my request for my code sheet and hopefully it won't take too long to received that. I'm not even sure that it will be worth it if I am approved so maybe someone here can help me figure that out.

I retired with 22 years and 4 months, my retirement pay is currently $4,373
I am rated 100% P&T.
I am anticipating that I would get 100% for CRSC, but it could be 90%.
I have a spouse and two kids.

Can anyone help me with this math?
Hello,
---> Useful CRSC info LINK

1. What type retirement did you receive? Regular (20 years); Disability; TERA; Reserve?

2. Are the 22 years and 4 months all active duty?

3. What is the amount of your VA compensation?

4. If you have a disability retirement, what was the DoD percentage?

The following is what is customarily requested in order to compute an estimate:

Information necessary for CRSC estimate:
—High three average base pay OR the gross retired pay on DFAS RAS (which is preferred)
—DoD disability percentage
—Active duty years or active duty equivalent years
—VA compensation percentage; amount; and dependents (category, number, and ages of children)
—Approved CRSC percentage
—Other type military retirement eligibility info

Ron

Games

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
1. Regular retirement
2. Yes, all active duty
3. Current compensation is $3,332.16. I just added my new wife and stepson so the amount should be about $3,600.
4. I don't have a disability retirement.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
1. Regular retirement
2. Yes, all active duty
3. Current compensation is $3,332.16. I just added my new wife and stepson so the amount should be about $3,600.
4. I don't have a disability retirement.
This one is easy--regular retirement.

Currently, you should receive all your retired pay plus your VA compensation.
Part of your retired pay is considered CRDP (CRDP is, in fact, retired pay itself).
Page two of your DFAS RAS will show the amount of your CRDP...CRDP is included in the gross retired pay on page one.

CRSC:

1. Your retired pay will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation received. In your case, there will probably be residual retired pay.
2. Approved CRSC will replace the reduced retired pay for combat related disabilities. The VA compensation tables contain the amounts associated with the service-approved CRSC percentage.
3. There are cases where the retiree receives less money under CRSC, since CRSC replaces only combat related elements. CRDP restores all the reduced retired pay.

Bottom Line:
If your CRSC is approved @ 100%; recommend you take it
If your CRSC is approved @ 90%, recommend you decline it as you will lose money.

Ron
Added: The info above does not pertain to a Chapter 61 retirement.

Games

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
2. Approved CRSC will replace the reduced retired pay for combat related disabilities. The VA compensation tables contain the amounts associated with the service-approved CRSC percentage.
3. There are cases where the retiree receives less money under CRSC, since CRSC replaces only combat related elements. CRDP restores all the reduced retired pay.

Bottom Line:
If your CRSC is approved @ 90%, recommend you decline it as you will lose money.
What do you mean with #2? That I will receive my full pay instead of 55.75%? Or does that mean that my $4,373 just won't be taxed?
I don't understand what you mean in #1 either.

This is still very confusing for me. Sorry, thanks for trying to help.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
What do you mean with #2? That I will receive my full pay instead of 55.75%? Or does that mean that my $4,373 just won't be taxed?
I don't understand what you mean in #1 either.

This is still very confusing for me. Sorry, thanks for trying to help.
Hello,

CRSC:

1. Your retired pay will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation received. In your case, there will probably be residual retired pay. Example: $4,373 minus 3600 amount [provided by OP] of VA COMP = 773 retired pay left (I.e., Residual retired). In other words 3600 of your retired pay is waived/gone
2. Approved CRSC will replace the reduced retired pay for combat related disabilities. The VA compensation tables contain the amounts associated with the service-approved CRSC percentage. Example: 100% = about 3600 ; 90% = much less (amt is in comp VA tables)

Note: residual retired pay combined with CRSC cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay.

Ron

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Games,

Re: Regular retirement and CRSC at either 100% or 90%

Using your info and descriptions.

1. VA comp, spouse and 2 kids under 18, 100% : $3,406.04 + $86.05 = 3492.09
VA comp, spouse and two kids under 18, 90% : $2,132.96 + $77.00 = 2209.96

2. Your retired pay will be reduced by 3492.09. $4,373 minus 3492.09 = 880.91 residual retired pay

3. With CRSC at 100%, your CRSC will be 3492.09
DFAS will pay: 880.91 residual retired pay + 3492.09 CRSC = 4373 each month

4. With CRSC at 90%, your CRSC will be 2209.96
DFAS will pay 880.91 residual retired pay + 2209.96 CRSC = 3090.87 each month

As stated earlier:
Bottom Line:

Other.
---> Useful CRSC info LINK
---> VA compensation tables LINK
--->DFAS explanation of waiver of retired pay LINK

Ron

Games

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
What happens to my residual retired pay? Right now I receive $7,705 total ($4,373 + $3,332).

I am only slightly less confused than this morning.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
What happens to my residual retired pay? Right now I receive $7,705 total ($4,373 + $3,332).

I am only slightly less confused than this morning.
Perhaps you did not notice this explanation posted earlier today:

“3. With CRSC at 100%, your CRSC will be 3492.09
DFAS will pay: 880.91 residual retired pay + 3492.09 CRSC = 4373 each month”

“4. With CRSC at 90%, your CRSC will be 2209.96
DFAS will pay 880.91 residual retired pay + 2209.96 CRSC = 3090.87 each month”

I did not address the payment of VA compensation since it continues uninterrupted.

CRSC is the more complicated issue.

I am sorry my answers have not been helpful to you.

Finally, as mentioned before:
Bottom Line

Regards,
Ron

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Re: The “Reduction” of Retired Pay.

From DFAS.

Understanding the VA Waiver and Retired Pay/CRDP/CRSC Adjustments
Many military retirees who are eligible for DoD retired pay are also eligible for VA disability pay. The laws and regulations that apply when a retiree is eligible for both types of pay are complex and can be confusing.
The law requires that a military retiree waive a portion of their gross DoD retired pay, dollar for dollar, by the amount of their Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) disability compensation pay; this is known as the VA waiver (or VA offset).
Some retirees who receive VA disability compensation may also receive CRDP or CRSC payments that make up for part or all of the DoD retired pay that they waive to receive VA disability pay.

Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP) and Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC)
There are two programs that were created by Congress to allow eligible military retirees to recover some or all of the retired pay that retirees waive for VA disability pay.

The first program, Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP), is a monthly payment to restore retired pay for those with service-connected disabilities who waive retired pay for VA disability pay. You do not need to apply for CRDP. When DFAS is notified of your VA disability compensation pay, if you are eligible for CRDP, we will process and pay your CRDP on the regular monthly pay schedule. For information about CRDP and eligibility, please see this website page:
https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crdp.html

The second program, Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC), is a special entitlement for combat-related disabilities. You must apply to your Branch of Service to receive CRSC pay. For information about CRSC and eligibility, please see this website page:
https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crsc.html
You may qualify for both types of payments, but you can only receive either CRDP or CRSC, not both. To compare the two types of payments, please see this website page:
https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/comparison.html

—-
Ron

Games

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Perhaps you did not notice this explanation posted earlier today:

“3. With CRSC at 100%, your CRSC will be 3492.09
DFAS will pay: 880.91 residual retired pay + 3492.09 CRSC = 4373 each month”

“4. With CRSC at 90%, your CRSC will be 2209.96
DFAS will pay 880.91 residual retired pay + 2209.96 CRSC = 3090.87 each month”

I did not address the payment of VA compensation since it continues uninterrupted.

CRSC is the more complicated issue.

I am sorry my answers have not been helpful to you.

Finally, as mentioned before:
Bottom Line

Regards,
Ron
Your answers were perfect, I just didn't understand them before but I do now. Thank you for your patience.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">