Crsc with individual unemployable

Army101st

Registered Member
How does individual unemployable rating from VA affect Crsc?
I am 100 percent permanent and total with individual unemployability through the VA, I have a 50 percent Army Disability rating both are combat related and I am eligible for Crsc. Married with 2 school age children. I have 3 years service. Is there a way to calculate the amount of my CRSC?

RonG

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
From Army:
Can retired Soldiers be awarded Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) for Individual Unemployability (IU)?
Individual Unemployability (IU) is not a disability or a diagnosis therefore the service branches do not include it in the total combat-related disability percentage or address IU on decision letters. Eligibility for IU is determined by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) will include compensation for IU as they receive notification from the VA of a retired Soldier meeting this status.
Please note, IU is only added to a retired Soldier's Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) benefits by DFAS when his or her CRSC total disability percentage is 60% or higher.
—-

Please note that your specific CRSC will likely be limited to the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay.
3 yrs AD x 0.025 = 7.5%
High three average base pay x 0.075 = dollar amount of longevity portion of retirement pay

CRSC for Chapter 61 Retirees with less than 20 years AD is the LESSER of
—dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay
OR
—dollar amount associated with the CRSC percentage/rate approved by the service. The VA compensation tables are used for amounts.

CRSC is reduced by any residual retired pay remaining after VA offset.

Ron

Last edited:

Army101st

Registered Member
From Army:
Can retired Soldiers be awarded Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) for Individual Unemployability (IU)?
Individual Unemployability (IU) is not a disability or a diagnosis therefore the service branches do not include it in the total combat-related disability percentage or address IU on decision letters. Eligibility for IU is determined by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) will include compensation for IU as they receive notification from the VA of a retired Soldier meeting this status.
Please note, IU is only added to a retired Soldier's Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) benefits by DFAS when his or her CRSC total disability percentage is 60% or higher.
—-

Please note that your specific CRSC will likely be limited to the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay.
3 yrs AD x 0.025 = 7.5%
High three average base pay x 0.075 = dollar amount of longevity portion of retirement pay

OR
—dollar amount associated with the CRSC percentage/rate approved by the service. The VA compensation tables are used for amounts.

Ron
Thanks for the reply. If I understand this correctly, my CRSC cannot be more than my army retirement pay? I wasn't sure if the IU over ruled that? I'm new to all this I was separated back in 2004 with a 10 percent rating from Army. A few years ago I received a letter stating that do to Wounded Warrior Act my case was being sent back PBRB for review. PBRB changed my 10 percent to 50 percent. IMG_6142.PNGIMG_6143.jpg

RonG

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Re: "Thanks for the reply. If I understand this correctly, my CRSC cannot be more than my army retirement pay? I wasn't sure if the IU over ruled that? I'm new to all this I was separated back in 2004 with a 10 percent rating from Army. A few years ago I received a letter stating that do to Wounded Warrior Act my case was being sent back PBRB for review. PBRB changed my 10 percent to 50 percent. "

CRSC replaces some or all of waived retired pay. There are other limitations as well...

I have a regular retirement, but the same concept applies. My VA compensation which includes two SMCs is around $3500. My retired pay is ~$2800 and my CRSC is 100%
The amount of CRSC I receive is $2800 (amt of ret pay waived).

CRSC is never more than the waived retired pay but can be less.
OR

Note: The fact sheet you cited is from 2004 and contains dated material. Click this LINK for current information. The old sheet is useful for historical info.

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">