CSM denies me a formal counseling on DA 4856 as part of submision 1SG/MSG packet for State List

Hard Times

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
So here's the situation:
I am in the process of a MEB/PEB. I have a proposed rating of 60%DoD & 90% VA. I am currently awaiting for a medical retirement date out of the AGR program. My PEBLO is saying my order will come from TRANSPOC.

So the promotion packets are due for submision on 1DEC. My question is, if I do not get a retirement date by that day, is my CSM still obligated to counsel me on DA 4856 which is part of the packet?

Also, I am being placed on the TDRL for PTSD. Just wondering how does being on the TDRL and being able to be considered for promotion work?

I've been reading AR 600-8-19 and no where does it state that I cannot submit a promotion packet for 2018 due to pending medical retirement. Packets are due 1Dec and board convenes on 1Jan17.

My leadership keeps blowing smoke up my butt and are giving the run around. I've researched on here for this specific situation but have not been able to find the answer.

Need some assistance from those who know more that I. I know it does not help me financially but for the recognition for what ever work I made an impact to. You see, in the Guard, even if noone wants to admit, the "Good ol' Boy System" is still in affect. Ever since discharged from a BH Hospital, all my leadership have treated me like I have a plague or I have a contagious desease.

First of all, they transferred me to another armory an hour away knowing I have a year left or less to be released from the AGR program. Before transfer, I stayed not even a mile from home to the armory.

I am not sure what I did or did not do to be treated this way. Thanks for listening. No one to vent to.

You can submit the packet, if you are eligible for promotion, you will be promoted on your last day in the guard.

I've researched AR 600-8-19 and didn't see any issues. But I think someone at BDE level is telling him that from "para 1–10 Non-promotable status
a. Soldiers (SPC through master sergeant (MSG)) are non-promotable to a higher rank when one of the following conditions exists:
3 A Soldier is ineligible to reenlist for the following reasons:
(b) Pending or has an approved administrative separation.

I tried to let him know plus I sent a highlighted portion in the AR that since I am still in the IDES System, I fall under the following rule:
1–20. Promotion of Soldiers in the Disability Evaluation System
a. Soldiers in the Disability Evaluation System (DES) process who are pending a medical fitness determination (referral to a medical evaluation board under AR 40–400, or physical evaluation board under AR 635–40) remain otherwise eligible for promotion consideration, selection, and pin-on. The issuance of a permanent profile of “3” or “4” alone will not be used as the sole basis for determining PMOS disqualification. No RC Soldier who is in the DES process will lose his or her promotable status solely because a promotion list expires prior to a vacancy for promotion becoming available.

Is there anything else I have to do to convince him that I am eligible for promotion and that I can submit a promo packet. Would I need for HRO-AGR to get involved and let him know (assuming that they interpret the para 1-20(a))??

I appreciate all responses.

Thank-You for your insight on the matter

There is lots of misinformation floating around. I agree with a quick call to the IG.

Also with you being a Title 32 AGR you should hit HRO up in your State. I found out yesterday from my HRO POC that at 1 year from retirement date we can request a terminal duty position to any armory closest to our HOR. This is new and NGB just approved this during this year.

Do you know what NGR that came from? I like to research that

I don't but I'll get it from my buddy at HRO.

Also, not sure if it's too late, but all you have to do is be on the EPS list. You don't have to be 1st or 4th just on the EPS list period and the promotion goes through at the end of your IDES when out processing. I just worked with one of my Troops that went through also and he was promoted to MSG upon his final out. No pay goes with it just the pride of being able to make it since we are getting kicked out medically.
I haven't received the info on the Terminal Duty assignment from HRO yet. They are at a warfighter on the MDAY side and awaiting their return from Europe.

I was on promotion list and I didn't get my 7 on last day before medical retirement

hmv88. Did they say why they didn't cut an order to promote you? Have you spoken to your PEBLO on it? One of the two AR's talks about it, AR635-40 or AR40-501. Take a look through. I can't remember which one. I know on the sheet that my NCO was provided prior to his last final appointment at Fort Knox it listed that he would be promoted.

Roger i will do that. What bout retirement awards from state and federal

The awards should have been started by your unit. Just because you was retired medically means your no different than anyone else other than you was injured. You should have been put in for at least a MSM. I know for the Guard we do MSM or a KDSM for retirement. KDSM is Kentucky Distinguished Service Medal. It accounts for 10 years of service and more. Some awards processing is very slow so you might have one in and it is being reviewed by the Chain, then S1, then J1 on up to the approving authority depending on the award.

I been retired for almost a year. 23 years 9 months of service. I filed a complaint with my congresswoman on this issue.