CSRC Back Pay

SFCHerpel

Registered Member
I received my award letter from my CSRC the other day. I was awarded 70% CSRC, which I am pleased with. It did take the 11 months that they said it would. Something that should be mentioned so as not to dissuade others who are going to apply, this is normal and it is worth it. If you are entitled, then submit.
However, here is my question. I read that on average it takes about 30-60 days from the time of the first payment of the CSRC to receive the retroactive pay. I will receive my first payment at the end of this month (November 2018). So, the question is this. For either those who have been awarded CSRC, how long did it take to receive their back pay? Is it the actual 60 days? I am reading that you should receive back pay from the time of retirement, therefore I should receive a year of back pay from October of 2017, since my first payment is not until the end of this month.
I am just trying to figure out if anyone is tracking that the information that I am reading is correct?

I am also in the same situation. I received my approval letter in Oct 2018. My packet took less time around 4 months total from submission to approval. My first payment is in Dec 2018. My start date is June 2016. Wondering if they are going to back pay me from June 2016 or from the time I put my packet in. I have read on here someone getting around 30,000 back pay. I also saw someone with around 3000. I read 3 days after first payment and also seen someone saying they are going on 6 months and still no back pay. Keep us updated. I would really like to know how long it does take and how far they do go back for back pay.

I received my award letter from my CSRC the other day. I was awarded 70% CSRC, which I am pleased with. It did take the 11 months that they said it would. Something that should be mentioned so as not to dissuade others who are going to apply, this is normal and it is worth it. If you are entitled, then submit.
However, here is my question. I read that on average it takes about 30-60 days from the time of the first payment of the CSRC to receive the retroactive pay. I will receive my first payment at the end of this month (November 2018). So, the question is this. For either those who have been awarded CSRC, how long did it take to receive their back pay? Is it the actual 60 days? I am reading that you should receive back pay from the time of retirement, therefore I should receive a year of back pay from October of 2017, since my first payment is not until the end of this month.

General CRSC information:

1. The CRSC percentage approved by one's service could be the rate paid to a Chapter 61 retiree with less than 20 years AD. The CRSC for Chapter 61 retirees with >=20 years AD cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay. In cases where the CRSC approved percentage amount is less than the longevity amount, the retiree receives the approved CRSC rate/amount.

CRSC does not restore the waived disability portion of retired pay.

2. Combat Related Special Compensation for Chapter 61 (disability) retirees with <20 years AD is the lesser of
--a. the dollar amount of the longevity portion of the DoD disability retired pay
or
--b. the dollar amount of VA compensation for combat related disabilities (i.e., service approved percentage mirrors the rates found in the VA compensation tables.)
Note: Active duty time is used to determine the longevity portion. Reservists can use their total career retired points and divide by 360 to determine the active duty equivalent factor

3. Recent anecdotal evidence on another board shows many retroactive CRSC cases paid 1-3 months after DFAS receives the approval from the service concerned. On the other hand, some have waited six months... It is a moving target.

4. Back pay, date: The CRSC approval letter cites the effective date of approval. Most cases are paid retro to that date.

Ron

Last edited:
I've been waiting almost 4 months to receive my CRSC backpay. I dont understand why its taking so long. Has anyelse had this issue?

I've been waiting almost 4 months to receive my CRSC backpay. I dont understand why its taking so long. Has anyelse had this issue?
Is the four months from the date DFAS received the approval document from your service? There is no precise time frame, but 1-3 months seems to be the norm currently. Some have waited six months.

Also, there are cases where no CRSC is due, but at least they receive a copy of the audit document.

You might consider calling DFAS.

Ron

The four months is from the day I received my first CRSC payment.

I received a letter from DFAS stating I will receive backpay and that it will be released by DFAS once reviewed. But the letter doesn’t tell me how long this will take or how much I’ll receive

Is the four months from the date DFAS received the approval document from your service? There is no precise time frame, but 1-3 months seems to be the norm currently. Some have waited six months.

Also, there are cases where no CRSC is due, but at least they receive a copy of the audit document.

You might consider calling DFAS.

Ron

I received a letter from DFAS stating I will receive backpay and that it will be released by DFAS once reviewed. But the letter doesn’t tell me how long this will take or how much I’ll receive

Re: "The four months is from the day I received my first CRSC payment. I received a letter from DFAS stating I will receive backpay and that it will be released by DFAS once reviewed. But the letter doesn’t tell me how long this will take or how much I’ll receive."

It does seem like your payment is taking longer than those reported recently. However, the volume of approved applications received during a certain period will affect the length of the processing cycle.

You can request in writing a copy of your DFAS audit. The address:

Defense Finance and Accounting Service
U.S. Military Retired Pay
8899 E 56th Street
Indianapolis IN 46249-1200

Ron

Re: Estimate

The information associated with all of the five numbered items below is needed. Incomplete answers will preclude an accurate estimate. Each numbered item below is a factor in the CRSC calculation.

1. High three base pay average for retirement or your current DoD disability retirement gross found on page one of the DFAS RAS. Please indicate whether you are providing the high three average or the retirement gross found on the DFAS RAS. The high-36 method is the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay divided by 36. This is generally the last 3 years of service and is sometimes called high-3. EXAMPLE: High three average $3333 (or alternative: Gross Retired Pay on DFAS RAS $xxxx.xx)

2. DoD disability retirement percentage. EXAMPLE: 50% DoD

3. Years and months of active duty EXAMPLE: 11 years and 3 months
Note: The creditable years of service (active duty equivalent) for a reserve calculation is determined by the sum of accumulated reserve points divided by 360.

4. VA compensation percentage and amount plus identify dependents by category and number EXAMPLE: 60% VA Compensation, $1600, Spouse and 6 children under 18

5. Approved or expected combat related disability percentage (application was required). EXAMPLE: 70% CRSC

Provide ALL the info above and a computation will be provided.

Ron

If you don't mind me asking what was your time frame like. First start to finish. I see a lot of post saying it is taking a year for them to just get a approval letter or denial. I know when I started I looked online to find someone to help file my paper work. That agency was taking to long just to file so I went local with Texas Vet. Had it sent and received a approval within 4 months. I see my first payment pending on my bank as of today for the 30th. Wondering if how you filed it or how everything was processed has something to do with your back payment also and if I am going to be in the same situation.

As long as a CRSC application contains the required documentation and form and follows the service’s guidelines, it does not matter who assisted in putting the application together (unless the “preparer” sits on it). Based on anecdotal evidence, most regular retirees submit their own applications and many disability retirees do the same.

However, if evidence or other documetation is missing, the decision will be delayed.

The number of applications on hand when a retiree’s application arrives, drives the amount of time in the processing cycle. I have been told by an Army CRSC board employee that they work, “first in, first out.”

I have filed one original CRSC application and three reconsideration requests as my VA ratings increased. All were approved.

Ron

I spoke with a tier 2 employee from dfas and she had told me the 30 to 60 day time line is incorrect. It’s 90 to 120 days from when they start your audit and not your first payment. I had mine approved in August, Statment on mypay in September for the first payment in October. They had not started my audit until November 14th and she told me to call back around the middle of January to check in on it.

How much pay is awarded crsc for 100%? I am 100% combat related with va with a scs-s special monthly complensation and 90% crsc. I am applying for reconsideration with crcs for things wrong with me that were pending with va.

How much pay is awarded crsc for 100%? I am 100% combat related with va with a scs-s special monthly complensation and 90% crsc. I am applying for reconsideration with crcs for things wrong with me that were pending with va.
Paul is correct. If you have a regular retirement, which is 20 years or more active duty, the 100% CRSC would replace all the waived retired pay due to receipt of VA comp.

CRSC does not replace the disability portion of waived retired pay for Chapter 61 retirees; it is limited to the longevity portion of retirement pay.

Furthermore, CRSC is limited as follows:
CRSC for CH 61 retirees is the LESSER of:
—dollar amount of longevity portion of retirement
OR
—CRSC rate and dollar amount approved by the service concerned. The amount is found in the VA comp tables.
Note: CRSC is reduced by any residual retired pay.

A higher percentage upon reconsideration often does not result in more CRSC for Chapter 61 retirees. If you are currently receiving CRSC @ 90% that is less than the 90% rate (with number of dependents) in the VA Compensation Tables, a 100% rate of CRSC will not result in a higher payment. That lower payment would be indicative of receiving the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retirement pay.

Ron

Last edited:
Any of you guys received your retro yet? I keep seeing people posting that they would get their 1st CRSC payment and then a few days later the retro was in their account.

I have not received mine, I was approved in August, first payment in October. Dfas lady told me they didn’t start my audit until November, 14 and to call back the middle of January.

Reactions: Kmp
I submitted my application on January 9th 2018. It was approved in July of this year. August 22nd the first payment was posted on mypay to be paid for the beginning of September. I’ve been getting my scheduled monthly pay since.

At the 60 day mark of the first payment I called DFAS to inquire about back pay (13 months owed). They said it will take 90-120 days. December 30th will make 120 days. So far not looking good.

Didn’t know about the 120 days starting at the start of the audit. I never thought to ask. But after being on hold for over an hour and getting never getting a solid answer from DFAS employees I don’t feel like calling them.

If I do, how to I get a Tier 2 representative? Is there a way to avoid the long wait times?

There is no way of dodging the wait times unless you call first thing when they open up and you get lucky. You can ask to speak to a tier two rep in regards to your crsc file.

I want to give my time frame and maybe it will help out some.

June 2018 I filled CSRC
Oct HRC approved
Dec 1st, 1st Pay (1 Nov-30 Nov)
Dec 31st Second Pay (1 Dec-31 Dec)
Jan 09, Retro Pay

HRC approved back to retirement date of Jun 2016. I don't know how exactly they figure the numbers, but I got about half of what I thought I was going to get back. Turned out to be a big chunk of change. I never received anything from DFAS about being audit, or didn't see anything on MYPay about how much I would receive back. I am a Chapter 61 retirement, with 17 years in and was awarded 70% CSRC. Hope this helps answer some.