Current VARR Decision Timeline

vision2019

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hey everyone- so I got my initial VA rating decision on 2 MAY (10% w/ severence pay for two rated conditions). Immediately reviewed the rating criteria and determined that was crap so started the appeals process. I decided to not attend the FPEB and instead put together a VARR package with letters from my provider, commander, coworkers and spouse. The attorney from the Office of Airmen's Counsel assigned to my case officially submitted this to the VA on 3 JUL. He said lately it's been taking about 2-3 weeks from the time the VAR is submitted to receive a decision from the VA. However, I just spoke with my PEBLO who said she has a member that's been waiting since April to get a decision from their VARR submittal. Has anyone gone through this process recently that wouldn't mind sharing their timeline? This process is so frustrating- I hate that I can't effectively plan anything right now having no idea when I'll actually be separated.

I would assume it is somewhat case specific depending on how much interpretation or analogous rating they have to do. I am waiting on my initial rating so I might be in the same boat as you shortly.... I hope not.

I am in the same boat as you, received my initial VA rating decision of 10%. Talked to my attorney and decided to do a VARR. Got all my paperwork together and submitted it to my attorney, he sent me an e-mail on 2 Aug saying that he submitted my package. So now I am in the process of waiting to hear back on my decision. Is there a number we are able to call to try and get an update? In this process it seems like there are way too many middle men. My PEBLO submits a package the Veterans coordinator who submits everything to the rater? and then no one knows how the process works in its entirety or who to ask the proper questions to. I almost feel I should have taken the severance and ran...

I am in the same boat as you, received my initial VA rating decision of 10%. Talked to my attorney and decided to do a VARR. Got all my paperwork together and submitted it to my attorney, he sent me an e-mail on 2 Aug saying that he submitted my package. So now I am in the process of waiting to hear back on my decision. Is there a number we are able to call to try and get an update? In this process it seems like there are way too many middle men. My PEBLO submits a package the Veterans coordinator who submits everything to the rater? and then no one knows how the process works in its entirety or who to ask the proper questions to. I almost feel I should have taken the severance and ran...
That's been my exact thought for a while now- that I should've just taken the severance and gotten out two months ago. I know it's worth it for us to fight for the benefits but damn, this is a headache. If there is a number, I don't know it but I might start looking into that.

Last edited:
Also I chose to do the IDES process because I was told that doing this process in turn everything would be completed on the military and VA side. So why am I being told that if I don't agree with a non MEB finding or think that they forgot something that I have to wait til this process is completed and do another VARR when I'm out. That makes no sense whatsoever. I am already in the process and if I don't agree or think that something is completely missing from my findings I should be able to get it corrected no matter what stage in the process I am at. It's like they do it on purpose because they know it will wear people out and they will just give up which is said that that's how they think of us.

Nope... just waiting ever so impatiently. Did you already get your final rating decision?

No I have the tentitive ratings from the AF and VA, (10% and 90%) but I was just notified that the OAC was submitting everything today... looks like I'm in for a long wait. :( I'm ready for this to be over. The documents I had to submit are black and white, shouldnt take anyone weeks to make a decision...but what do I know?

Also I chose to do the IDES process because I was told that doing this process in turn everything would be completed on the military and VA side. So why am I being told that if I don't agree with a non MEB finding or think that they forgot something that I have to wait til this process is completed and do another VARR when I'm out. That makes no sense whatsoever. I am already in the process and if I don't agree or think that something is completely missing from my findings I should be able to get it corrected no matter what stage in the process I am at. It's like they do it on purpose because they know it will wear people out and they will just give up which is said that that's how they think of us.

I agree completely. The last thing they want is to give out more money/benefits so they make this process as complicated as possible in the hopes that people will eventually just settle for less.

No I have the tentitive ratings from the AF and VA, (10% and 90%) but I was just notified that the OAC was submitting everything today... looks like I'm in for a long wait. :( I'm ready for this to be over. The documents I had to submit are black and white, shouldnt take anyone weeks to make a decision...but what do I know?
Hopefully it's not that long for you. It's been just over a month since my package was submitted so I'm really hoping I hear something by the end of this month. I only have two rated conditions (two for VA and only one of them for AF) so I don't understand why it's taking this long to review my package. Just like you, the letters were all to-the-point and none of them were more than like 1 1/2 pages long. I'll keep this thread updated whenever I get some news since there's a few of us in this same shitty boat.

My PEBLO reached out to me. There is a system he was able to access and see the status of my VARR. My VARR was completed today 14August2019 and it was submitted 2Aug2019. I don't know if the quick turnaround is a good or bad thing. But my PEBLO just told me it says completed, he doesn't have the results yet. Hopefully I will get word tomorrow, it would be a great birthday present to get findings of medically retired...

My PEBLO reached out to me. There is a system he was able to access and see the status of my VARR. My VARR was completed today 14August2019 and it was submitted 2Aug2019. I don't know if the quick turnaround is a good or bad thing. But my PEBLO just told me it says completed, he doesn't have the results yet. Hopefully I will get word tomorrow, it would be a great birthday present to get findings of medically retired...
That's great news! Hoping you get the birthday present you want. Now I'm just wondering why my PEBLO doesn't have access to this system or at least didn't mention it when I called for an update last week. That two-week turnaround time is in line with what I was told by my attorney so I don't think it's a bad thing. That gives me a little hope that maybe mine will be completed soon.

It wasn't something my PEBLO knew of until I asked him if he had any way of checking on an update for a VARR. When I first asked he said he wasn't sure cause he hadn't been asked that regularly. It took him a couple days but he got back to me today saying he was able to see that my VARR was completed. So maybe that is the only thing it shows. Probably not a real specific timeline for a VARR, maybe just submitted and completed date. Hopefully not too much longer on yours since yours was submitted before mine. I am just a very impatient individual and would rather not be sitting at a desk on AD when I could be back in the states looking for my next job and housing.

So I just got off the phone with the VA- the gentleman I spoke with was kind and helpful. He looked at my record and saw that the IDES proposed rating was sent to the PEB on July 22nd for review/approval. Not sure how long the approval process typically lasts. I just tried calling my PEBLO but she's unavailable so I'll try again in a bit. The gentleman at the VA also said he believes I should've gotten a copy of the proposed rating but that he wasn't sure if it'd go to me or just my PEBLO. I thought the PEBLO only gets the final approved decision?

welp. I got off the phone with the OAC last night (I'm in germany) , just to find out they never received my signed 1180....which is a complete lie because I had another person (I've had to work with three people in 2 weeks...it’s amazing) confirm they received everything. So what I thought was already accomplished is not....I love taking 2 steps back. I thought they were there to help.....so if everything is not submitted, I guess my time line starts now...:confused:

welp. I got off the phone with the OAC last night (I'm in germany) , just to find out they never received my signed 1180....which is a complete lie because I had another person (I've had to work with three people in 2 weeks...it’s amazing) confirm they received everything. So what I thought was already accomplished is not....I love taking 2 steps back. I thought they were there to help.....so if everything is not submitted, I guess my time line starts now...:confused:

It's amazing how often stuff gets lost in the military period. Everything is done electronically nowadays. The problem is there are too many separate systems that don't talk with each other. We have ebenefits, Va.gov, and several others that are "linked" together, but don't actually cooperate.

It wasn't something my PEBLO knew of until I asked him if he had any way of checking on an update for a VARR. When I first asked he said he wasn't sure cause he hadn't been asked that regularly. It took him a couple days but he got back to me today saying he was able to see that my VARR was completed. So maybe that is the only thing it shows. Probably not a real specific timeline for a VARR, maybe just submitted and completed date. Hopefully not too much longer on yours since yours was submitted before mine. I am just a very impatient individual and would rather not be sitting at a desk on AD when I could be back in the states looking for my next job and housing.
I hear you man, I would much rather be in the states as well, looking for my next house. This whole overseas outprocessing, seeing TDY'd VA doctors, working around everyone else schedules does not help with my anxiety and stress. Have either of you guys had an update? I was told I have IPEB case manager for processing the VA reconsideration. I dont know if thats a good thing or not, but I'm staying hopeful.

I hear you man, I would much rather be in the states as well, looking for my next house. This whole overseas outprocessing, seeing TDY'd VA doctors, working around everyone else schedules does not help with my anxiety and stress. Have either of you guys had an update? I was told I have IPEB case manager for processing the VA reconsideration. I dont know if thats a good thing or not, but I'm staying hopeful.

Thankfully for me, this process started a couple of months after returning from overseas. I can only imagine the extra headache of going through this all while OS. Still no update here.

My attorney called me yesterday and gave me some really good news. He said he was able to see the results of my VARR, but he wasn't supposed to tell me what they were for some reason. So now I am just waiting for the results to be sent to my PEBLO so I can go sign them. So overall it looks to be about a 3 week turnaround for mine.

My attorney called me yesterday and gave me some really good news. He said he was able to see the results of my VARR, but he wasn't supposed to tell me what they were for some reason. So now I am just waiting for the results to be sent to my PEBLO so I can go sign them. So overall it looks to be about a 3 week turnaround for mine.
That's awesome! Hope you get the results you're looking for. For as long as mine is taking, I'd like to think they're increasing my rating somewhat. I'd hope it wouldn't take this long to just keep it the same.