DAV or VFW for a VSO

MoparFin

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Is there any difference in having a VSO from the DAV or the VFW help with claims/appeals? At my local VA hospital they have both, which man the office on different days. I plan on going to the office the day that the VSO representing the DAV is there since I have off work those days. I am off work every other Friday, they are there M and F.

Each of the major service organizations have VSOs. County governments too.

Opinion: Some (service officers) are great; some are average; and some should be doing something else. Recommend you choose a service officer who is "certified” “accredited”.

Ron

Ask around. These people are volunteers (except county) and all vary greatly in quality of advice.

I used the term, “certified.” I should have said, “accredited.”

“An accredited representative is an individual who has undergone a formal application and training process and is recognized by VA as being capable of assisting claimants with their affairs before VA. Most accredited representatives work for veteran service organizations (VSOs) many of which are private non-profit groups that advocate on behalf of Veterans, Servicemembers, dependents and survivors. Accredited representatives may also work for state or county government entities.”

“The accreditation process includes an examination, a background investigation, and continuing education requirements to ensure VSOs are providing the most up-to-date information. Recognized organizations and individuals, whether congressionally chartered VSOs or VA accredited claims agents or attorneys, can legally represent a Veteran, Servicemember, dependent, or survivor before VA. Non-recognized organizations and individuals can provide information, but cannot be a representative.”

See LINK https://www.benefits.va.gov/vso/

Ron

Ok, sounds like they are all accredited then. While I was talking to one of them, he was saying that he had to go to a hearing with some other Vets the day I was thinking of going in. he then said that everyone in the office can do the same thing.

I will make sure when I go visit them.

Ok, sounds like they are all accredited then. While I was talking to one of them, he was saying that he had to go to a hearing with some other Vets the day I was thinking of going in. he then said that everyone in the office can do the same thing.

I will make sure when I go visit them.
I belong to one of largest veterans organizations, which I will not name here. My post has a VSO. Whenever he is asked questions about filing a claim, he recommends that the veteran visit with the county VSO. However, I have met some who are very good at their jobs.

Note: My post is in a town other than my place of residence.

Ron

I was trying to find a VSO in my county. On the VFW website, the closest VSO is an hour away.

Where else can I find a VSO for the county?

Use your search engine for “ xxxx county departments and offices”

I did the same for my county and found the LINK Comal County Offices and Departments <——

The veterans services office was included.

Ron

Use your search engine for “ xxxx county departments and offices”

I did the same for my county and found the LINK Comal County Offices and Departments <——

The veterans services office was included.

Ron

Thanks. I did search for VSO near my location, VFW site was the first one and I just looked on there. Guess I should have looked at all the sites listed on the search, LOL.

Thanks again.