DAWG recommended RTD, AFPC says no!

CommGuy78

Registered Member
I was diagnosed with seronegative Rheumatoid Arthritis. Basically its RA without the genetic predisposition to it. Just lucky I guess. I've responded well to the treatment, no side effects and am now in remission. The plan is to take me off the medications that prevent me from deploying in a month. I'm at 18.5 now. Enlisted til 23 currently. Went to the DAWG and they recommended RTD. AFPC non concurred and they initiated IDES on me as of Tuesday. At a loss right now. My limitation goes away in a month, I literally haven't missed a single day of work and have gone on multiple TDY's in support of our mission while enduring this. Is it possible to stretch this out to 20? What are peoples average timelines/wait times for each step? Can y'all recommend threads to look at? Do I need a lawyer? Should I get one? I'm meeting with the VA rep today. Not even enough time to get my medical records to look at anything. I'm sure yall get a lot of lost in the wilderness posts. Appreciate any help or pointers.

thx
Manny

goflymike

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
CommGuy-

Ive got Seropositive RA, so I know where youre at. Is there any chance you could stop the medication sooner? I know there is still a chance for the PEB to identify you as Fit for Duty but it is after the VA exams and your NARSUM. I would try hard to ensure that a) those exams take as long as possible and b) that you make sure your records indicate that this is not serious and does not impact your ability to work. There are a number of appeal levels that can be used; mine took over a year and I didnt use any of the appeals or reviews (although we did have to restart half way through). Throughout this whole process there will be times where you will have 5 or 10 or 15 days to review various reports or results. Take every single day. Its a race against the clock for you, but honestly, 18.5 years is pretty close and Ive seen plenty of cases take longer.

andimouse

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I was diagnosed with seronegative Rheumatoid Arthritis. Basically its RA without the genetic predisposition to it. Just lucky I guess. I've responded well to the treatment, no side effects and am now in remission. The plan is to take me off the medications that prevent me from deploying in a month. I'm at 18.5 now. Enlisted til 23 currently. Went to the DAWG and they recommended RTD. AFPC non concurred and they initiated IDES on me as of Tuesday. At a loss right now. My limitation goes away in a month, I literally haven't missed a single day of work and have gone on multiple TDY's in support of our mission while enduring this. Is it possible to stretch this out to 20? What are peoples average timelines/wait times for each step? Can y'all recommend threads to look at? Do I need a lawyer? Should I get one? I'm meeting with the VA rep today. Not even enough time to get my medical records to look at anything. I'm sure yall get a lot of lost in the wilderness posts. Appreciate any help or pointers.

thx
Manny
Definitely get legal counsel at every opportunity!

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">