Denied PTSD MEB; please help

Liv33d

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello, I have been seeking treatment for PTSD for the better part of a year. 5 days ago, I was referred for MEB per my Behavioral Health doctor. He told me the chances of being denied were slim, but here we are.
Today I was called by some sort of IDES rep, stating my permanent profile has been returned to my behavioral health doctor. She also stated that he could resubmit.
I’m looking to MEB as my symptoms have only been worsening, and the medications ineffective. What are my options?
Do I just ask my doctor to resubmit the MEB referral?
Is there a wait-time to resubmit?
Do I seek legal counsel?
Do I seek out patient advocate?
Any advice is appreciated.
Thank you.

I would talk to the provider that submitted the MEB. Then if necessary the patient advocate. As a patient you are entitled to an explanation of your care.

Combat PTSD? Which service?

US Army. Yes, chronic army-related PTSD.
Update: the rep informed me that I do not meet MRDP, because they want to see 1 year of continuous treatment; I’ve been treated for 10.5 months. Upon reading IDES information it states “Referral to MEB will be made WITHIN one year”.
The commander is dumbfounded, and is backing me up - but I see the provider next week. I’ll update as I know more.
If you have any advice, it’s greatly appreciated.

US Army. Yes, chronic army-related PTSD.
Update: the rep informed me that I do not meet MRDP, because they want to see 1 year of continuous treatment; I’ve been treated for 10.5 months. Upon reading IDES information it states “Referral to MEB will be made WITHIN one year”.
The commander is dumbfounded, and is backing me up - but I see the provider next week. I’ll update as I know more.
If you have any advice, it’s greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

In retrospect, when a Soldier is unable to return to full duty status within 12 months from the onset of the injury or illness (regardless of the Soldier’s profile history), referral into the DoD IDES is appropriate. Also, when it can be determined that a Soldier has a condition(s) that does not appear to meet medical retention standards, or when the temporary profile has been active for 12 months, the Medical Treatment Provider will write a permanent (P3/P4) profile.

To that extent as annotated on the U.S. Army Warrior Care & Transition website (updated on 06/04/2018 at 0933 hours), under the "Soldiers" tab in the "Integrated Disability Evaluation System" column:

"The IDES process primarily consists of the Medical Evaluation Board (MEB) and Physical Evaluation Board (PEB). The MEB/PEB process begins when the Medical Retention Determination Point (MRDP) has been reached – usually a service member receives treatment for up to a year before a clinician evaluates the Soldier and determines whether or not the service member has a condition that may render him/her unfit for duty..."

Indeed, in my experienced opinion, it would seem that your opportunity to be referred & accepted into the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process should significantly increase upon reaching the Army's Medical Retention Determination Point (MRDP) in approximately another two months. At that particular point in time, your Primary Care Manager (PCM) and/or your Behavior Health (BH) physician should consider resubmitting the referral into the DoD IDES process.

Otherwise for any potential DoD IDES referral resubmission by your PCM and/or BH physician prior to reaching the Army's MRDP in approximately two months, do you currently have 12 months (either cumulative or consecutive) of temporary profiles for your PTSD medical condition? If yes, then you may have an opportunity for a favorable referral into the DoD IDES now by resubmitting. If no, then you may want to consider waiting until your MRDP has been reached; it's only in approximately two months. I hope this helps! Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

UPDATE:

MEB has been resubmitted as of today.
I’ve just passed the 1 year of continuous treatment, as well as a month of intensive outpatient treatment.
More to follow, later.

Hello, I have been seeking treatment for PTSD for the better part of a year. 5 days ago, I was referred for MEB per my Behavioral Health doctor. He told me the chances of being denied were slim, but here we are.
Today I was called by some sort of IDES rep, stating my permanent profile has been returned to my behavioral health doctor. She also stated that he could resubmit.
I’m looking to MEB as my symptoms have only been worsening, and the medications ineffective. What are my options?
Do I just ask my doctor to resubmit the MEB referral?
Is there a wait-time to resubmit?
Do I seek legal counsel?
Do I seek out patient advocate?
Any advice is appreciated.
Thank you.
How much longer before you can just get out? Can you not just seek an admin discharge?

How much longer before you can just get out? Can you not just seek an admin discharge?

The problem with an admin discharge is that I need continuous treatment. Discharge is in 2020. Doctors say MEB is the best way to go. Wish me luck. Hopefully it gets accepted this time around.

UPDATE: I have received my second signature today and am officially in the process.

Clarification from my PEBLO: The initial reason my first MEB attempt got denied was not for time in treatment. When my provider submitted it, initially, he wrote it in a way that did not build a strong enough case for PTSD - therefore MRDP was not met. If the initial referral was for generalized anxiety disorder, it would’ve gone through at that time.

Thanks for the info, guys! I’ll keep you updated.

UPDATE: I have received my second signature today and am officially in the process.

Clarification from my PEBLO: The initial reason my first MEB attempt got denied was not for time in treatment. When my provider submitted it, initially, he wrote it in a way that did not build a strong enough case for PTSD - therefore MRDP was not met. If the initial referral was for generalized anxiety disorder, it would’ve gone through at that time.

Thanks for the info, guys! I’ll keep you updated.
Indeed, and congratulations on finally being referred into the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process albeit please remain "positively proactive" at all time. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!