Dependents Education Assistance Program for spouse/children

AirForceSeahawk

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
All,

I was looking into the VA DEA due to me being rated 100% P&T. My question is about the (now) 36 months of benefits that my dependants are eligible for. Is that a total amount that I must split between all eligibles, or is that the amount that each child & spouse are able to use? i.e. spouse, and 2 children, each person gets 36 months to use, or other scenario being they all must share a total of 36?

Thanks and hopefully someone has had experience with this!

the 36 months is for each individual
I'm not sure when it changed or will change (maybe Oct 1- new fiscal year) but it was 46 months or still is. there is also a change in how the financial side is calculated.
best bet is to call and ask. there is a different phone number then the regular VA 800 number.
I do have it if you need it

All,

I was looking into the VA DEA due to me being rated 100% P&T. My question is about the (now) 36 months of benefits that my dependants are eligible for. Is that a total amount that I must split between all eligibles, or is that the amount that each child & spouse are able to use? i.e. spouse, and 2 children, each person gets 36 months to use, or other scenario being they all must share a total of 36?

Thanks and hopefully someone has had experience with this!
The 36 months is per person. My wife and daughter both have DEA benefits and they each have their own entitlement. For those who started using the program before August 1, 2018 they have up to 45 months of eligibility, those who begin using the program on or after August 1, 2018 have 36 months of eligibility.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/DEA.asp

Are the DEA benefits separate than GI bill? I transferred my GI bill to my wife but now i'm rated 100% and read about the DEA but confused about it. So my wife and if I have a child will get 36 months of benefits besides the GI bill?

Are the DEA benefits separate than GI bill? I transferred my GI bill to my wife but now i'm rated 100% and read about the DEA but confused about it. So my wife and if I have a child will get 36 months of benefits besides the GI bill?

Yes the DEA deal is separate from GI bill.

If you do not have a child now, there is no way for them to use your GI bill to my knowledge. GI bill would be limited to you and your wife (if you transfered it to her properly). I do not know of any way to transfer GI bill eligibility to another person post separation even if you are rated at 100%.

If you are still in and do not have an EAS, you *might* be able to still transfer to your wife. I cant remember when they are stopping the transfers. If it is still able to be done this will be only be possible in a couple of situations.