Deploy or out

I am curious how this will effect the USAF. As for me, I have a simple back condition and I've deployed before with it but I'm not Worldwide qualified on paper without a waiver for those deployed locations each time I go out the door. If they rid the USAF of all injured people for greater than a year our manning issue will turn into a manning crisis. Will boards just be more strenuous now? Will everyone require a SAFPC appeal? Very confusing times.

i know there are exceptions, but makes me wonder how they are keeping my husband in and as FIT when he is deemed non-deployable worldwide or onboard a ship

i know there are exceptions, but makes me wonder how they are keeping my husband in and as FIT when he is deemed non-deployable worldwide or onboard a ship
Navy is desperate for people. That's probably why. It's reported they may take issue with this policy from DoD.

Its cool... They waited months (since October) after i was diagnosed to put me on my first temp profile for PTSD which would be today... and was just told that they are no longer going to do the permanent profile until after the 12 months. And i love how this falls right in line with the new directive. I quit.

It’s funny as this has been in the regs for years. It looks like they now want to force the medical community to do the paperwork. Which is slow in the AD world and worse in the guard side...we have people on 3 year WWD profiles but haven’t MEB’d them. Retention there will be a problem. Which might thin our ability to fight if we stick to this policy of kicking them out.

I’ve had an extensor tendon tear in my forearm & couldn’t lift A coffee cup (or my infant) for a year+ but they JUST placed me on a WWD profile. Technically they should have done this at the point of injury. While I am a guard dude I was on long term (3+ years) title 10 working a HQ staff job when this occurred. They let me off orders without realizing there was no WWD profile or doing a discharge physical. Now I have the fun challenge of fighting for MEDCON and possible BCMR for the gap in orders while still attending appointments 2-3x a week;). Fun times. Any tips would be appreciated.

Nate

I find this policy sad! When they break down the numbers, (take out those such as pregnancies or showing non deployable simply due to being red or amber on dental) the non deployable due to injury is 5% of the forces. There is absolutely no reason they can’t find jobs for injured service members in the schoolhouses or recruiting for example.

But no, the message is that we are all expendable! So it will hurt retention and force out thousands who can still contribute and truly want to stay in and serve. When first and second enlistees and junior officers see this they will know they are expendable too. And people will simply hide injuries until they are extremely bad. This helps nothing really. Makes some power points look good if your battalion/brigade/squadron/ship/etc has low non deployable numbers. But treating people like numbers will have adverse effects...

As I read this, it appears to be written with a specific bias that may not be completely honest. The article focuses on cutting those who are unable to deploy overseas, however it does not focus on any of the needs we have in protecting our homeland.

We are having issues with cyber breaches, our borders, critical infrastructure etc...

As I read this, it appears to be written with a specific bias that may not be completely honest. The article focuses on cutting those who are unable to deploy overseas, however it does not focus on any of the needs we have in protecting our homeland.

We are having issues with cyber breaches, our borders, critical infrastructure etc...

completely took the words out of my mouth here.

Also seems like odd timing. The AF is currently promoting captains to major at a 100% promotion rate because they don’t have enough FGOs due to the massive cuts a few years back. This only exacerbates the issue.

I have been on both ends of this thing. Deployed after RTD finding by MEB. The waiver process was not overly onerous. But I'm not sure how hard the services will try to get people deployed.

I've also been the guy that match taskings to names. It is the same people that were green suddenly became red. Which likely means the person that returned recently get to go again.

I see both ends.

There are 2 maybe more MOS's in the Army where your job ins non-deployable. both that I know of are medical and used to be ASI's now it is it's own MOS

Don’t forget Army recruiter 79R MOS.... these are all non deploying slots where an injured Soldier could do the job. Thousands of slots.

I know first hand in my Army Reserve unit. If you are not green in MEDPROS. And do not have any appointments scheduled for whatever you have to take care of. The unit has sent soldiers home without pay.

Waivers only last so long. After you hit your twenty,nothing is guaranteed. It’s happening in the air guard also. Once your dwell time is up. Your deployment process starts all over.

I was non-deployable almost for two years. As an E-7 being in that situation was very uncomfortable .

I was coded for 7 years but deployed on waiver from CENTCOM/SG. There are so many possibilities to fill needed positions even with broke members.

That is so true. But, l have watched the Army evolved in my 30 years. And the crazy thing is. The new recruits that are coming in are broke before even going to basic training.
It's heartbreaking for the ones that truly wants to make it a career.

Don’t forget Army recruiter 79R MOS.... these are all non deploying slots where an injured Soldier could do the job. Thousands of slots.

Technically recruiters are considered to be deployed on mission every single day of their career. It would be a major distraction to the recruiting effort if medical appointments were tossed into the mix.

I deployed on a waiver. The head DR at the base had to grant the approval. As people get older and multiple deployments. They are just going to have to accept waivers. But from what I’ve seen at my base. You better start preparing for the future once you hit your twenty.