Depression

MoparFin

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I have been noticing some depression symptoms lately. Background first though. I was in the Navy 13 years. Was medically discharged after having back surgery. Thought that I would be able to retire, now I am getting disability. Anyway, I am still having pain in my back, both legs so I am slowly becoming more limited on the things I can do. The constant pain is wearing on me also.

Been noticing that I am a little more emotional then before, stupid stuff makes me feel like I am going to cry, been getting worked up and loosing my temper with my wife and kids a little easier, things like that.

I am going to set up an appointment with my PCM at the VA. See where they can refer me etc.

Question is, when do I put in a claim? Should I do it after my PCM appointment? After I start treatment? Or can I/should I do it now since it takes a while for claims etc?

If you have medical documentation of a MH (1) diagnosis that INCLUDES (2) the impact on your social and occupational functioning you can submit a FDC.
https://www.benefits.va.gov/fdc/

If the documentation does not include the impact on your occupational and social functioning the VA claim will take much longer. The language the VA uses for occupational and social function are highlighted below.

1536596954435.png

Put your claim in as soon as possible. If the VA approves the claim the effective date is the day you submitted the application. I would take the mental health DBQ to a private psychologist or psychiatrist snd ask them to examine you and fill it out to speed up the process. Most VA mental health providers will not complete the DBQ.

I put the claim in. Not sure if I will get diagnosed with anything, first appointment is this Friday. See what happens.

First, you need a nexus connecting it to service or secondary to your back and leg condition and you need a diagnosis. The VA has stated that 30% of claims lack a diagnosis and/or medical records and if that's the case the VSR can administratively deny the claim whereas before it would have to go to the RSVR and they could only do it. The VSR also isn't obligated to order a C&P exam if nothing is submitted but the 526ez. It's best that you submit an FDC claim and not something that can be in appeals for many years.

Figured by the time that my records would be reviewed at all, I would have a few appointments in and a diagnosis. You know it takes months for them to even look at a claim. Besides, even if they deny it, I could always put in the claim for the actual diagnosis. I submitted this initial claim under just depression.

Figured by the time that my records would be reviewed at all, I would have a few appointments in and a diagnosis. You know it takes months for them to even look at a claim. Besides, even if they deny it, I could always put in the claim for the actual diagnosis. I submitted this initial claim under just depression.

Claims don't take a year like they use to I always get an answer back less than 90 days usually 60. I said depression because that's common especially secondary to serious physical injuries if you are thinking other MH disorders are connected you are really running the risk of the C&P examiner stating it's not likely connected to anything from service regardless of what your medical notes or diagnosis is. But you do what you feel is best I guess...

First, you need a nexus connecting it to service or secondary to your back and leg condition and you need a diagnosis. The VA has stated that 30% of claims lack a diagnosis and/or medical records and if that's the case the VSR can administratively deny the claim whereas before it would have to go to the RSVR and they could only do it. The VSR also isn't obligated to order a C&P exam if nothing is submitted but the 526ez. It's best that you submit an FDC claim and not something that can be in appeals for many years.
After reading most of your posts on here, thank you. I found out how bad my VSR's were. I'm looking for a new one after I moved. I wish I would have found this site a long time ago.

If you have medical documentation of a MH (1) diagnosis that INCLUDES (2) the impact on your social and occupational functioning you can submit a FDC.
https://www.benefits.va.gov/fdc/

If the documentation does not include the impact on your occupational and social functioning the VA claim will take much longer. The language the VA uses for occupational and social function are highlighted below.

View attachment 3174
This is really helpful. I actually was starting to see help and couldn't put my finger on what effect it had on me. Then I read the one next to 10 and man that was on spot. I'm sure that I've had friends that hit the 50 and above on this.

Depression does not discriminate when it comes to age. The young all the way to the elderly have bouts of depression. Some unfortunately have chronic depression. Modern medicine unfortunately has few drugs that help. Therapy is prefered to drugs in most cases.

Saw the doc this past Friday. Talked about depression due to chronic pain, Was referred to the MH Clinic that is in the satellite clinic near me. Was given a prescription to help with ED that I have been having due to my mood and pain level.

Thanks for all the advice.

So I had a phone screening based on my referral to a psychologist. Finally heard back today about making an appointment. Dr I spoke with over the phone stated I have moderate anxiety and depression. Soonest appointment I was able to get is 3 weeks away. I am so tired of dealing with the VA its not even funny. By the time that I see the provider I was referred to, it will be a month since the referral.

Claim came back denied due to evidence not being in my record, even though I am currently being seen by a psychologist at the VA clinic. I am requesting a written copy of my record. Since there was a pretty big gap between me putting in the claim and my first appointment with the psychologist I am thinking it wasn’t in there yet.

What would be faster, putting in a new claim or appealing the one just denied?

Claim came back denied due to evidence not being in my record, even though I am currently being seen by a psychologist at the VA clinic. I am requesting a written copy of my record. Since there was a pretty big gap between me putting in the claim and my first appointment with the psychologist I am thinking it wasn’t in there yet.

What would be faster, putting in a new claim or appealing the one just denied?
Standard appeals take 12 to 18 months so a new claim could potentially be faster. BUT, utilizing an appeal allows you to keep your original effective date of your claim so if the claim is approved you will get back pay to the date you originally filed, plus that will be the date that you became service connected. If you file a new claim it established a new effective date. The VA did start a new program called RAMP that is supposed to make appeals go faster, but I have no experience with that.

@MoparFin I really believe that you do not know what you are doing and you need the help of a VSO ASAP, they are free and your advocate you can find them through your county or through the major national veteran organizations DAV, American Legion, AMVETS, VFW etc. When they say "not in your records" they probably mean service records from the military unless you were filing it secondary to something else you are SC for. Direct service connection requires proof of depression when you were still in service not now.

Notes from my last appointment say Adjustment Disorder with mixed Anxiety and Depressed Mood and Unspecified Depressive Disorder.

Where and how would it be listed as a secondary condition?

Went and submitted a reconsideration of the claim with the DAV VSO's help this past Friday. Tuesday I got a letter that they sent the claim and supporting paperwork (doctors notes, etc) to the VA.

They said that you can file a Reconsideration instead of an appeal and it gets done quicker. Also said with my documentation he sees no problem in me getting something. We shall see.

Finally having a C/P Exam for this. Notes from the last visit with doc state:

Risk Factors: Male Impulsive change in mental health status other: depressed and anxious
GAD-7:11
PHQ9: 17
Adjustment Disorder, With mixed Anxiety and Depressed Mood, Unspecified Depressive Disorder, Chronic Pain