Depressive disorder exam rating question

Dylan23

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I received a phone call last week about a 5 year exam for my back and depressive disorder. I didn’t even know this was a thing because they mentioned it being permanent but I also didn’t like the fact that I even had to MEB and get out of the Army 5 years ago so I did no research and didn’t ask many questions.
I was rated 30% for depressive disorder when I got out but was only seeing counseling and taking some medication. Since then I have been forced into inpatient a few times at the VA, been monthly to counseling appointments, take medications and even receive FMLA for work to call off when needed because of mental health.
Is there any way based off that to get an idea what the reexamination percentage could be. Thank you!

Last edited:
You can file a claim with the VA to be re-rated. As far as getting your DOD rating changed that isn't a thing. Your medical retirement or (severance if 20% or below} is based on your condition when you are discharged. Check out the different ratings for that condition here: Military Disability Ratings for Mental Disorders

Based on the brief medical history you provided, I suspect your MH rating will not go down and will likely increase.

So I talked to the people who sent the letter for me to make the appointment. The reexamination is for my mental heath only. So the part they told me was permanent 5 years ago may have been from my back? He also asked if I started the claim because it’s in there as an exam for an increase. I did not but I’m going to take the exam anyway because my mental health is much worse. Who could have started the claim?

At this point its unimportant a RFE for MH at five years is common. If you are really concerned about it you can link up with a VSO who can tell you which conditions are static or not. Expect a RFE after this exam as well.

At this point its unimportant a RFE for MH at five years is common. If you are really concerned about it you can link up with a VSO who can tell you which conditions are static or not. Expect a RFE after this exam as well.

To piggy back of this reply, should expecting these MH exams after every 5 years be expected?

I was discharged in 2014 and had an exam within 18 months. Then, in late 2017 I had another exam where my rating was increased. Shouldni be expecting additional exams im the future?

A VSO can look at your file and tell you the exact date of your next exam but increases usually get an RFE a static rating is a rating that remains unchanged after 1-3 reviews.