discharge orders

Marshal

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I went through the meb process and it is done. I have my discharge orders and have a few questions about them.
1. you are released from assignment and duty because of physical disability incurred while entitled to basic pay and under conditions that permit your retirement for permanent physical disability. Does this mean I am no longer on a drilling status? I received my orders last week, and they are dated 8 December, but the commander still made me come to drill. or am I not out until the actual retirement date which is not until 12 January 2015?

2. Disability retirement: 6 years, 5 months , 6 days. what does this mean?

3. disability is based on injury or disease received in lod as a direct result of armed conflict or caused by an instrumentality of war and incurred in the lod during a war period as defined by law: yes. does this mean my disability retirement will be taxable or not?

I called the number on the orders and the individual I spoke with was less than helpful

1. You unfortunately have to drill until 12 January
2. Should be the ammount of time accrued from your basic training start date.
3. Will NOT be taxable. You are correct.

so the date on the orders and the first block doesn't have anything to do with being released from duty?

what is the disability retirement time used for?

No you are not released from duty until that retirement date. Trust me, I had orders dated 6/17/2014 with a retirement date of 9/17 and thought I could sham my way through the last 3 months but my commander had other plans..

What were your ratings is what I should ask.. I am not too sure on the NG/AR side of the house but time in service for Active would help with severance pay if rated below 30% and things like that.

I received 30% for ptsd. Since I am in the National Guard, and we only drill one weekend a month, I may just not show up for drill. there is a certain amount of days I can miss before any type of disciplinary action can be taken. The part that bothers me the most is that I had a doctors note that said I shouldn't go to drill, but the commander disregarded it.

GO TO DRILL.......Don't go out on a bad note. I just went to my last drill. After 23 years in uniform it was a sad/happy day to be done. I gave uncle Sam 100% every day until I was done and I have no regrets. It's the honorable thing to do.

I would go to drill and thank every one that meant something to me and ask them to be a reference if possible.

the problem is that I have a cruise scheduled during the last drill. we set it up while I was on a no drill status, and the commander said he would excuse me from this drill. I don't see why he would renege on his word. I was hoping the orders would be sufficient to get me excused from that drill, just in case the commander decides to try and screw me.

I agree the honorable way to act is to go to drill, but I wont be in the country when it takes place.

You should be honest with the Commander and tell him that you made plans for that time. Ask to RST the weekend (make it up at another time either before or after the weekend... as long as it is before 12 JAN. It may help to get your senior NCO in the loop too (1SG or CSM).

30% or higher is considered a MEDICAL RETIREMENT which gives a mystery calculation which amounts to "not enough to live on" based on your time in service, pay grade, and disability rating. The good news is they "should" medically retire you under Chapter 61 even from the Guard or Reserves, which means you (and your family) will be covered by Tricare. Not Reserve Select, but defaulted to Tricare Standard, with an option of Tricare Prime.

From what I can tell Tricare Standard is "free" up front, but the coverage sucks and you wind up paying roughly 25% of all doctors and hospital charges, that adds up fast when you or a family member is sick or hurt. For under $600 bucks a year (for family coverage) you can upgrade that to Tricare Prime, and the 25% is replaced by low flat rates, such a $12 for an office visit and $25 bucks a day for hospitalization. For my money, Tricare Prime seems the better deal.

Because the LOD is linked it to Combat Related or Instrumentality of War, you should qualify for CRDP and receive BOTH the DVA and Military retirement pay, without one being deducted from the other as it would normally be without CRDP.

Best advice, be honest with your CO and try to get a waiver for the last drill. They may insist you still come in to do whatever paperwork and or clearing of supply etc.. that needs to be done. If you're honest and your CO is not a complete tool, you should be allowed to SUTA the drill prior to it to take care of the admin tasks.

What you don't want to do is blow off drill and be listed as AWOL. That has a possibility of putting your discharge on hold while they process you for an Article 15. There's nothing that says those orders can't be rescinded in a heart beat for a disciplinary action. You'll eventually still get your medical discharge, but worst case scenario they could pull a stripe and leave you with a life time of lower payments. Don't give them the opportunity to mess with you or take pay.

Beyond that Congrats on the rating and medical retirement.

at the last drill I went to I had my E7 go to the commander and get the cruise approved so I could miss that drill

I went through the meb process and it is done. I have my discharge orders and have a few questions about them.
1. you are released from assignment and duty because of physical disability incurred while entitled to basic pay and under conditions that permit your retirement for permanent physical disability. Does this mean I am no longer on a drilling status? I received my orders last week, and they are dated 8 December, but the commander still made me come to drill. or am I not out until the actual retirement date which is not until 12 January 2015?

2. Disability retirement: 6 years, 5 months , 6 days. what does this mean?

3. disability is based on injury or disease received in lod as a direct result of armed conflict or caused by an instrumentality of war and incurred in the lod during a war period as defined by law: yes. does this mean my disability retirement will be taxable or not?

I called the number on the orders and the individual I spoke with was less than helpful

I assume you are either NG or Reserve.

1. Did you receive your military percentage of disability rating?

A. What is the big overall disability percentage number given to you from the military?

B. What does that number break down to per rated injury?

C. Of all your military rated injuries, which injuries were given combat/combat related designations & what were those percentages per injury? Those are the ones that can be easily eligible for tax-free status under the CRSC program.

2. Did you receive your VA disability ratings?

What is that big overall VA disability percentage number?

3. What is your rank?

You can apply for CRSC - Combat Related Special Compensation - from your AD Branch of Service. So, if you are getting disability discharged from the Army, then you would need to apply for CRSC from the Army.

There are a few forms/paperwork you need to submit for this CRSC - IT IS NOT AUTOMATIC. But it's easy to apply for it IF you have all the correct paperwork they ask for.

SEE THIS DFAS WEBSITE....

http://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crsc.html
nwlivewire

I have researched and read about crsc, but I am still not sure I understand it. if I am approved for crsc am I able to collect both va disability and my military retirement?

I assume you are either NG or Reserve.

1. Did you receive your military percentage of disability rating?

A. What is the big overall disability percentage number given to you from the military?

B. What does that number break down to per rated injury?

C. Of all your military rated injuries, which injuries were given combat/combat related designations & what were those percentages per injury? Those are the ones that can be easily eligible for tax-free status under the CRSC program.

2. Did you receive your VA disability ratings?

What is that big overall VA disability percentage number?

3. What is your rank?

You can apply for CRSC - Combat Related Special Compensation - from your AD Branch of Service. So, if you are getting disability discharged from the Army, then you would need to apply for CRSC from the Army.

There are a few forms/paperwork you need to submit for this CRSC - IT IS NOT AUTOMATIC. But it's easy to apply for it IF you have all the correct paperwork they ask for.

SEE THIS DFAS WEBSITE....

http://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crsc.html
nwlivewire

I am National Guard, my military disability is 30%, overall rating is 30% I think, I am only rated for one thing which is ptsd, va rating is 40% soon to be dropping to 30%. I am a Sergeant and because of the medical retirement I am being promoted to Staff Sergeant.

I have researched and read about crsc, but I am still not sure I understand it. if I am approved for crsc am I able to collect both va disability and my military retirement?
Yes, CRSC allows you to receive both VA and military disability pay, without CRSC you receive whichever is the higher of the two. Here's the link to the DFAS calculator that will give you a good estimate of the difference it would make in your particular case...

http://www.dfas.mil/militarymembers/woundedwarrior/disabledretireest.html

Back