Do VA examiners include medication side effects when determining ratings?

TallTree

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I’m prescribed lithium, which works great for my mania, but some of the side effects include diarrhea, sexual disfunction, and short term memory loss. I’m okay with all that right now, because the medication overall helps me manage my bipolar, but how does that factor into the VA exam? For example, I think the mania/bipolar is well managed with the lithium, but the lithium is causing things specifically listed under the criteria for 50% disability (“impairment of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned material, forgetting to complete tasks”) amongst others.

Does the examiner take that into account?

Mania is a MH disorder. As such social and occupational functioning determines the percentage. Everything that influences social and/or occupational functioning is suppose to be considered.

I’m prescribed lithium, which works great for my mania, but some of the side effects include diarrhea, sexual disfunction, and short term memory loss. I’m okay with all that right now, because the medication overall helps me manage my bipolar, but how does that factor into the VA exam? For example, I think the mania/bipolar is well managed with the lithium, but the lithium is causing things specifically listed under the criteria for 50% disability (“impairment of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned material, forgetting to complete tasks”) amongst others.

Does the examiner take that into account?
I was successful with my ED claim via medication side effects. So, with my example yes, but I had a proper diagnoses and medication for this issue. So, don't rely on word to mouth, get a doc on your side outside of the C&P exams.

An MEB has NOT been initiated at this time, as I haven’t received an official diagnosis (but was told to expect that soon).

What I’m hearing is that all issues are taken into account during the exam, including these side effects, but are you saying I should get an outside doc to document that I have these side effects? Is that because just me saying I have them during the exam isn’t enough?

An MEB has NOT been initiated at this time, as I haven’t received an official diagnosis (but was told to expect that soon).

What I’m hearing is that all issues are taken into account during the exam, including these side effects, but are you saying I should get an outside doc to document that I have these side effects? Is that because just me saying I have them during the exam isn’t enough?
Yes, I would get a doctors option personally and not just for this issue. This could be very useful not so much for the MEB, but for the VA after the fact. A current diagnosis from a license professional is one of the prerequisites to getting proper compensation. If you have any issues get them looked at and document everything.

In terms of the MEB I went through the DHS and from my experience it was brief, and my issues where not looked into other than the referred condition. So, my experience is better safe than sorry.