Dod vs va question

MustangGang07

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello all.

I did 3 years and was then medically separated with PTSD, MDD.
I was put on the TDRL and rated 70% dod and 80% va.
8 months later and I am back working now. I have read where if you are enrolled in school and/or working that the DOD looks at that as you can be taken off TDRL? And if that be the case, how does that affect me?
While I was going through the PEB, PEBLO wasn’t very helpful and didn’t explain a lot of this to me so I am very confused. I know I will have an evaluation coming up soon. I work PT, and making myself do that so I am able to pay rent, etc. I still suffer with sleep issues, panic attacks and depression often and so my work is aware of mental health illness. If I am taken off TDRL, or moved to PDRL how does that affect the VA side of things? Will I still receive VA compensation and will it ever change?
Thank you for reading. Hopefully my questions are clear.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Hello all.

If I am taken off TDRL, or moved to PDRL how does that affect the VA side of things? Will I still receive VA compensation and will it ever change?
Thank you for reading. Hopefully my questions are clear.
If your status on the TDRL changed, it would NOT affect the VA compensation. Yes, you will still receive VA compensation.

Will it ever change? Although unlikely, it could change if the conditions you currently have rated by the VA are found to be no longer present or have decreased in severity.
Any time one files additional VA claims, that opens the door for other ratings to be reviewed...although not particularly commonplace.

If you have had a VA service-connected disability rating for 5 years or more, the VA must prove your condition has improved on a sustained basis before they can reduce or terminate your disability rating. After 10 years, the VA can only reduce your rating; they cannot terminate it (absent proof of fraud)

They are not subject to change if you are rated P&T.
P = Permanent
T = Total (i.e., 100%)

Ron

MustangGang07

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
If your status on the TDRL changed, it would NOT affect the VA compensation. Yes, you will still receive VA compensation.

Will it ever change? Although unlikely, it could change if the conditions you currently have rated by the VA are found to be no longer present or have decreased in severity.
Any time one files additional VA claims, that opens the door for other ratings to be reviewed...although not particularly commonplace.

If you have had a VA service-connected disability rating for 5 years or more, the VA must prove your condition has improved on a sustained basis before they can reduce or terminate your disability rating. After 10 years, the VA can only reduce your rating; they cannot terminate it (absent proof of fraud)

They are not subject to change if you are rated P&T.
P = Permanent
T = Total (i.e., 100%)

Ron
Thank you. That is much more clear. I am working (have to in order to pay bills) or else I would not be because I feel it’s not very good on my mental health. However it’s just a cashiering job so it’s not anything too wild. Will the VA look at that as if a need to reduce me because I am working??

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Thank you. That is much more clear. I am working (have to in order to pay bills) or else I would not be because I feel it’s not very good on my mental health. However it’s just a cashiering job so it’s not anything too wild. Will the VA look at that as if a need to reduce me because I am working??
There is no "rule" against working while receiving VA, except if one is receiving Individual Unemployability (paid at 100% rate), the rating could be jeopardized by employment.

From another site:
  • Veterans with “schedule of ratings” disability percentages may legally have “substantial gainful employment” even if they are rated at 100% disabled UNLESS they receive Total Disability/Individual Unemployability compensation.
  • Receiving the Individual Unemployability benefit which designates you as 100% “unemployable” means you cannot work a job deemed “substantial gainful employment” that elevates your income above the “official” Census Bureau’s definition of the poverty line.
  • In reference to Individual Unemployability, it does not matter how much or how little you work-the measure of “gainful employment” here is whether or not your earnings rise above the poverty threshold as determined by the government.
Read more: Can I work with a 100% disability rating? | Military Benefits

I know nothing about PTSD, but I have inferred from reading other discussions that working when the rating is for PTSD could, in some cases, result in a decrease of rating.
Someone who is familiar with PTSD and the implications of employment would be a better source of info.

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">