script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js">

Does a Medical Retirement pay immediately for ARNG/Reserve SMs?

LakotaPilot

Registered Member
New member here and I have been digging all over the forum to find a specific answer on my possible situation. First, I have always been aware of the standard retirement conditions of AD vs ARNG to include Payment Amounts, Tricare, when payments start coming in, how to calculate ARNG retirement numbers, etc. What is new to me is Medical stuff. I know guys who are getting VA Disability while in standard M-Day status. What I don't know about is the Medical Retirement Stuff with MEBs and whatnot. I feel like I have read that Medical retirement is the exact same from AD and ARNG, but I have no idea.

Background:
I am ARNG. CW3. Currently 18 years Total (of which 11 is AD). Awaiting VA disability percentage. Also awaiting MRI, possible surgery for mil-related injuries.

Question:
How does Medical Retirement work for ARNG/Reserve Soldiers? I came up with two possible answers, but not sure which is correct:
1. Soldier could get VA disability pay and drill pay while M-Day until reaching 20yrs Total Time. Then go into Retired Reserve Status (gray-area) while Tricare rates are really high, but Soldier continues to receive VA Disability until reaching 60yrs old (minus deployment time). At age 60, Soldier then gets VA disability, ARNG Retire pay, and Tricare.

or (this is where I need clarification)

If Soldier is found Unfit, they go through MEB process? While in the process they are removed from M-Day position, but still get VA disability? If decision is made to Medically Retire the Soldier, they will be removed from the Guard and get a Medical Retirement (calculated out based on essentially similar numbers as standard Guard retirement) paid out immediately? At the same time, Soldier will continue to receive VA disability and Tricare, all for Life?

Please let me know how my assessment is, also, where I messed up and correct me please.

Thank you!

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Hello @LakotaPilot

1. One qualifies for a DoD disability retirement when rated by the DoD (not VA) 30% or more. It is payable immediately upon retirement. The formula: The higher of your longevity multiplier or the DoD disability percentage x high three average base pay = disability retirement.

2. The medical retirement pay discussed at item one is reduced dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received. The retiree keeps the residual (left over) retired pay.

3. If the retiree has combat related disabilities, they can apply for CRSC which replaces some or all of the waiver/reduction/offset of disability retired pay at item two.
See: A Supplement to CRSC Information--Also See Update at Bottom of the Page <---LINK

4. If you have a 20 year letter, about six months prior to reaching the age requirement for RC retirement you can apply for your non-regular retirement.

5. The RC/non-regular retirement will include CRDP (restoration of waived retired pay) if you meet all the requirements including at least a 50% VA rating.

6. CRDP will restore the longevity portion of your retired pay. The computation: AD equivalent x 2.5% = longevity multiplier; average high three base pay x longevity multiplier = CRDP.

7. CRDP and CRSC cannot be paid at the same time.

8. Another member of this forum provided good answers to your questions in another thread where you presented your case. See Reserve Officer Retired with Active Duty Benefits, are they for life? <---LINK

Ron

LakotaPilot

Registered Member
Hello @LakotaPilot

1. One qualifies for a DoD disability retirement when rated by the DoD (not VA) 30% or more. It is payable immediately upon retirement. The formula: The higher of your longevity multiplier or the DoD disability percentage x high three average base pay = disability retirement.

2. The medical retirement pay discussed at item one is reduced dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received. The retiree keeps the residual (left over) retired pay.

3. If the retiree has combat related disabilities, they can apply for CRSC which replaces some or all of the waiver/reduction/offset of disability retired pay at item two.
See: A Supplement to CRSC Information--Also See Update at Bottom of the Page <---LINK

4. If you have a 20 year letter, about six months prior to reaching the age requirement for RC retirement you can apply for your non-regular retirement.

5. The RC/non-regular retirement will include CRDP (restoration of waived retired pay) if you meet all the requirements including at least a 50% VA rating.

6. CRDP will restore the longevity portion of your retired pay. The computation: AD equivalent x 2.5% = longevity multiplier; average high three base pay x longevity multiplier = CRDP.

7. CRDP and CRSC cannot be paid at the same time.

8. Another member of this forum provided good answers to your questions in another thread where you presented your case. See Reserve Officer Retired with Active Duty Benefits, are they for life? <---LINK

Ron
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for taking the time to spell this all out in a simple, straight-forward way.
Thanks!