Does MEB over rule admin sep for weight control?

z71 Guy

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So I am half way through my med board and we get a new SgtMaj. He is threatening to admin sep me for not making progress on bcp, even though my duty limitations (for my spine) make it impossible. Is this legal in the USMC can anyone give me refernces to fight this?

Actually you can get kicked out of the military before your MEB is finished. That is up to your command. If your MEB is the reason you are getting Admin Sep like if you lost a leg and you cannot workout and you gain weight. Then its highly unlikely that you will get Admin Sep before your MEB is over.

In my situation:
I cannot do PT due to mental trauma. Particularly Major Depressive Disorder. Depression. While running I got racing negative thoughts. As well when I lift and look at my hands I remember blood and my trauma leading to episodes. I was told that if I do fail my PT test 4 times in a row off a profile I will get kicked out. However the reason for my MEB is causing my PT to fail. I used to work out 6 days a week 1-2 hours each time. I still go now but its greatly reduced in time like 30-1 hour and I'm breaking down all the time.

Now I'm going through this MEB and I will fight to let me finish my MEB if they try to kick me out. I never failed a PT test with the 6 years in the service and now I'm going through all this crap its affecting my PT. Also I was previously on a PT waiver for this same exact issue. Now mental health wont renew my profile and now I'm in this situation where I'm due for a PT test and I cant run and I refuse to run due to trauma so I get a DNF. DNF means did not finish which means ill have to retake a test within like 4 days. Thus I'm in a endless cycle of taking a PT test and receiving a DNF.

So I am half way through my med board and we get a new SgtMaj. He is threatening to admin sep me for not making progress on bcp, even though my duty limitations (for my spine) make it impossible. Is this legal in the USMC can anyone give me refernces to fight this?

When assigned to BCP you were evaluated for any factors that would stop you from losing weight, this does not include an injury as an injury does not prevent you from dieting etc. However if you are on medication that may cause weight gain, that would be considered a factor making you unqualified for BCP due to an underlying medical reason. Look at your paperwork from medical when you were assigned to BCP, there is a page that tells you how much weight you can lose in a reasonably and healthy way. If you are not achieving that rate of loss, and do not have any mitigating factors, you can reasonably be separated. However if this is your first assignment, you should be reevaluated at medical. If you truly feel your injury prevents you from progressing towards weight loss, discuss it with your doctor then, and maybe they will do a different write up marking you as unqualified for the BCP program.

Or maybe talk to your SgtMaj, explain the situation, tell him you do want to lose the weight, but you are having issues due to your injury, and if he would be willing to work with you, you can show him that you're actively trying.

The only reason I know about this is because I always sit a few pounds over my max, and after I was assigned to the med board I got slated for a CGIP weigh in, so I did all my research then.

I believe you can take that to legal, but the question of what prevents you from maintaining a healthy diet is hard to answer even with meds causing weight gain.

There are medical conditions and medications that can cause weight gain. If these apply your PCM ought to provide a waiver. My PCM was misinformed, so I talked to the deputy group commander. Two days later the waiver was posted.

Actually you can get kicked out of the military before your MEB is finished. That is up to your command. If your MEB is the reason you are getting Admin Sep like if you lost a leg and you cannot workout and you gain weight. Then its highly unlikely that you will get Admin Sep before your MEB is over.

In my situation:
I cannot do PT due to mental trauma. Particularly Major Depressive Disorder. Depression. While running I got racing negative thoughts. As well when I lift and look at my hands I remember blood and my trauma leading to episodes. I was told that if I do fail my PT test 4 times in a row off a profile I will get kicked out. However the reason for my MEB is causing my PT to fail. I used to work out 6 days a week 1-2 hours each time. I still go now but its greatly reduced in time like 30-1 hour and I'm breaking down all the time.

Now I'm going through this MEB and I will fight to let me finish my MEB if they try to kick me out. I never failed a PT test with the 6 years in the service and now I'm going through all this crap its affecting my PT. Also I was previously on a PT waiver for this same exact issue. Now mental health wont renew my profile and now I'm in this situation where I'm due for a PT test and I cant run and I refuse to run due to trauma so I get a DNF. DNF means did not finish which means ill have to retake a test within like 4 days. Thus I'm in a endless cycle of taking a PT test and receiving a DNF.

so you still having to take your pt test? no way im finishing my run tomorrow.

Search the forum. This situation has been addressed many times.

so you still having to take your pt test? no way im finishing my run tomorrow.
Well I walked in checked the yes box. They said just reschedule... So I'm now forced to overwork my lower back to damage myself in order to get a profile. Either that or go insane while running probably punch a wall or two or possibly the other people.

So if I don't get a profile ill just wait about 4-5 laps out of 18 then go. Let other people get some free time since it requires everyone to pass the starting line to start the timer.

Not to be a jerk but are you making an attempt to eat healthier? Are you familiar with basal metabolic rate? Basically it'll help you determine how many calories your body needs to survive then you just adjust your intake according. Also I have spinal, hip, and knee problems but I have found that I can still burn some calories in the pool. Don't get me wrong, I've lost weight and increased body fat since having to quit working out but I think swimming might really help you. I'd start tracking what you eat and what you do physically, this way you have proof of everything so they cannot say you're gaffing it off. I can certainly sympathize with weight gain due to inactivity but there are some ways to maintain appropriate weight. Hope I didn't come across dimeaning and I hope my suggestions help a bit. Take care and good luck!

Not to be a jerk but are you making an attempt to eat healthier? Are you familiar with basal metabolic rate? Basically it'll help you determine how many calories your body needs to survive then you just adjust your intake according. Also I have spinal, hip, and knee problems but I have found that I can still burn some calories in the pool. Don't get me wrong, I've lost weight and increased body fat since having to quit working out but I think swimming might really help you. I'd start tracking what you eat and what you do physically, this way you have proof of everything so they cannot say you're gaffing it off. I can certainly sympathize with weight gain due to inactivity but there are some ways to maintain appropriate weight. Hope I didn't come across dimeaning and I hope my suggestions help a bit. Take care and good luck!

That is a really good point, especially the having evidence so no one can say you aren't trying. I think I'd be about 20 over if it wasn't for swimming, so this is a really good suggestion.

Thank you, I started a zero carb diet about a week and a half ago and it seems to be going well. I will try the pool as well I actually never thought of it thanks!

Thank you, I started a zero carb diet about a week and a half ago and it seems to be going well. I will try the pool as well I actually never thought of it thanks!
Zero carb will work for a bit but you'll end up drained. I'd suggest carb cycling. Google it. Essentially it's low carbs for a few days then a carb load to gain back energy.