Does VA normally take this long?

Pavetim

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I started my claim in September 2018 cause of med board. I got my rating around june or july this year for 100% VA. I called them to get cert of ratings and they said it isn't done yet. Now i'm getting worried cause this is holding up many things. I'm buying a house so holding up the VA funding fee exemption, property tax exemption, student loan forgiveness application. And I retire May 2020 so worried I won't get disability when I get out.

I started my claim in September 2018 cause of med board. I got my rating around june or july this year for 100% VA. I called them to get cert of ratings and they said it isn't done yet. Now i'm getting worried cause this is holding up many things. I'm buying a house so holding up the VA funding fee exemption, property tax exemption, student loan forgiveness application. And I retire May 2020 so worried I won't get disability when I get out.
I am not sure I fully understand your situation.

If you are on active duty, your VA compensation will not begin to accrue until the first day of the month following the month having the effective date.

Example: Discharged 30 November 2019; entered into retired status 1 December 2019. VA comp effective date 1 December 2019.
First accrual: 1-31 January 2020
First payment: 1 February 2020

Ron

I understand it won't start until I retire but you still would be rated correct? And VA said it wasn't fully done yet so then what happens if they aren't fully done by the time I retire?

I understand it won't start until I retire but you still would be rated correct? And VA said it wasn't fully done yet so then what happens if they aren't fully done by the time I retire?
It is my understanding that it is completed before the IDES process is completed. However, I am not a medical retiree. Does eBenefits offer any clues?

I am copying @chaplaincharlie with this post. He likely can offer clarification.

Ron

My IDES is done, I got accepted for LAS and got my disability retirement orders for May 19. Ebenefits don't say much and I tried to call VA to see if I was actually rated permanent and total and they said they can't tell yet because it's not fully done and they have been backed up.

I wish you good luck in this matter and there are plenty of members on this board who can tell you of their experiences.

I have no experience with IDES or with a CH 61 retirement. I had a regular retirement and became member here to assist with CRSC related issues.

Recommend you visit with ChaplainCharlie.

Ron

You final approval with be sent untill you retire. I got my proposal in July, retired the end of last month and it still says pending decision on ebenifits.

They’re proposed ratings that you get when going through the MEB process. When you retire, turn in your dd214 and then the VA should finalize your ratings. They go back over the info from the MEB again and finalize it. You can buy a house and have your funding fee refunded to you. Property taxes same thing depending on the state.

It is a slow process. Getting ahead off the process can be costly.

I realize this was an older thread, but just wanted to add that I was able to get the funding fee waived on a VA refinance by just submitting information that I had a VA claim pending. This was October 2019. Probably water under the bridge for OP, but may be useful to others.