Dupilumab/Dupixent (inject biologic) for Atopic Dermatitis (eczema)

Auclair

Registered Member
Does anyone have any insight on the use of Dupixent/Dupilumab while Active Duty AF? I am an Aircraft Maintainer with 9 years in. My Derm doctor is putting me on it for a trial run. The issue is it needs to be refrigerated and is a biologic inject every two weeks.

My question is, will i go to a MEB if i stay on this medication?

You will be marked non-WWQ, which should trigger a Code 31 (check your AF 469 in IMR) which will alert the DAWG and possibly cause your PCM to refer you to the MEB. I went into a 12 month trial for Xolair/Omalizumab back in November, and because I was already non-WWQ for my issue this triggered a full MEB. AFPC rejected my annual RILO due to the progression of my condition that warranted the injections. I researched that your medicine is used for moderate to severe atopic dermatitis. What is your condition if you don't mind me asking?

I have moderate atopic dermatitis, mostly on my arms and neck. My derm doctor is not flagging me non-deployable because this 6 month injection is only a trial. I assume if i am on it for a 12 month period i will be non deployable and force a MEB. I've been told the Air force would likely return me to service, as i could just stop the injections during a deployment.

I have moderate atopic dermatitis, mostly on my arms and neck. My derm doctor is not flagging me non-deployable because this 6 month injection is only a trial. I assume if i am on it for a 12 month period i will be non deployable and force a MEB. I've been told the Air force would likely return me to service, as i could just stop the injections during a deployment.

What would you like to see out of this situation? If your PCM catches wind of your injections, they're going to code you. I suppose you could fly under the radar since dermatitis doesn't seem to be life threatening.

I would like to serve my 20 while being able to stay on this medication (if it works for me)... Being coded pretty much means I'd be getting kicked out, what with this new deploy or get out mindset the AF is taking.

I know nothing about the Air Force. The Army's stance on biologic medications is based on need for infusion services. So if you self administer or use autoinjectors, like Humira, then they let you stay in unless you work in Medicine doing direct care (because of the immune suppression around sick people).

Might be worth talking to your provider about if they start forcing the issue. You might also be able to change branches of service, so may want to talk to an Army or Navy recruiter on the side. I mentions this specifically because you said you'd like to do 20 yrs - might have to change service to do it.

I would like to serve my 20 while being able to stay on this medication (if it works for me)... Being coded pretty much means I'd be getting kicked out, what with this new deploy or get out mindset the AF is taking.
How has everything gone for you? I’m asking because my dermatologist would like me to try dupixent due to the fact that I cannot get the topical Med (that I have a waiver for Olux-E brand) that works for me.

How has everything gone for you? I’m asking because my dermatologist would like me to try dupixent due to the fact that I cannot get the topical Med (that I have a waiver for Olux-E brand) that works for me.
Hey Sorry for the late reply! ive been on Dupixent for 1,5 years now and it works wonders. Not coded or anything, but my PCM just called and wants to discuss further (just got a new PCM). I will let you now what he says.